Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

keoni068
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

I would greatly appreciate some thoughts regarding which is the better system as a whole. I've read that the E-M1 body is said to be better in the AF department and keeps up well in the high ISO and dr departments. I've also read that the X-T1 has a slight edge on IQ. It seems to be a wash, for the most part, with each having benefits. This is why I'm curious in the system as a whole including lens quality/sharpness, lens focus speed, lens availability, flashes, etc.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

All the best!

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

Fuji has mostly faster primes but Olympus/Fuji has better zooms. I think Fuji has better IQ but like some of the Oly Art modes. Oly size over the Fuji. As well as Oly IBIS by far.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:38 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

Kind of depends on your needs, I mean, Olympus has more options for telephoto, but if you have zero want/need for shooting anything past 200mm, its kind of meaningless that m4/3 has some lens options in that focal length.

Likewise, I wouldn't so much worry about how sharp the lenses are as a whole, rather, if the specific focal lengths I want to shoot have a quality option.

Unless of course you planning on buying one of everything I suppose...

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

For those that have used both, do you notice a big difference in focus speed? With the standard zoom? Or the 85 full frame equivalent?

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

Have you seen this?

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">The Camera Store TV: The Great Mirrorless Shootout

Dec 28, 2014 at 01:12 AM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

I hadn't seen that. Great video. Thanks! So would most of you say the Olympus is the better system? There seems to be a huge fan base for the Fujis as well. More thoughts?

Dec 28, 2014 at 02:09 AM
Big Cheese
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

I have both. My go to camera is the EM 1. It is fully featured and very flexible. It can be set up in so many different ways but is also quick to change settings once you have become familiar with it. I like the fuji for landscapes using mf. It is slower to work with and lends itself to more considered shooting. The fuji has slightly better image quality but you won't see much difference unless you print bigger than 13 x 19 on a regular basis. And if you do print that big why not go FF?
Both systems have good lenses.

Dec 28, 2014 at 04:43 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

keoni068 wrote:
I would greatly appreciate some thoughts regarding which is the better system as a whole. I've read that the E-M1 body is said to be better in the AF department and keeps up well in the high ISO and dr departments. I've also read that the X-T1 has a slight edge on IQ. It seems to be a wash, for the most part, with each having benefits. This is why I'm curious in the system as a whole including lens quality/sharpness, lens focus speed, lens availability, flashes, etc.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

All the best!

Fujifilm after many years still hasn't figured out how to develop a proper flash system. Nor can they do video if that's something you need.

Dec 28, 2014 at 05:48 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

Here are my quick thoughts on the matter.

- Both have rather complete systems and continuously improve their existing products through firmware updates. The only other product that I can think of hats received as much improvements is the Ricoh GR.

- Both have very nice lens lineups. The Olympus has the advantage of being able to use Panasonic lenses as well. Oly has affordable lenses, a good selection of primes (24/35/50/90/150 equivalents) and two nice 2.8 zooms out now (24-80/80-300 equivalents). Also has better weather sealing.

- Fuji has some incredible primes. Better IQ and build that the Oly but also more expensive. The zooms are very nice as well, but they have to deal with size. Larger sensor will lead to larger lenses. The mock ups of the 16-55 2.8 is rather large. Oly lenses are smaller because of he smaller sensor. You can literally carry lenses in your pockets if you wish. In my experience the grip and handling of the E-M1 is better than the X-T1. Manually focusing is much better on the Fuji, the peaking and manual focus aides are 100x better on the Fuji.

- Oly is better for fast shooting, Fuji better for slower, more setup shooting environments. This isn't discussing AF speeds but overall shooting parameters. The Oly is setup more DSLR like with two dials, a PASM dial. Can quickly change exposure settings with using your index finger and thumb on the dials. So you could go from shooting at say 1/80 flower and see a moving object that you want to freeze, so flick your finger and get to 1/2000 SS quickly. With the Fuji youre using the dial to set exposure settings and might still have to fine tune it if it's not at your desired stop on the dial.

- IQ wise the Fuji is better, at least in my experience. Jpegs are usable most of the time out of the camera. Slightly better high ISO performance.

- Of the two, I would lean more towards the E-M1. So much so that I just bought back into the system in a big way last night taking advantage of the lens promotion.

I would recommend

x-T1 for
- manual lens shooting
- Have time to setup and compose a shot. M
- Like shooting with fast primes.
- Like setting exposure settings manually

e-M1 for
- change shooting parameters quickly
- coming from a DSLR and want something to replicate the shooting experience
- like being able to choose from a wide variety of lenses (oly/panasonic/sigma trinity, Voigtlander, etc).

Dec 28, 2014 at 07:00 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

Olympus has set the bar very high with the introduction of the really excellent 12-40 and 40-150 PRO lenses plus the MC-14. And there is no reason to doubt the high quality of the 300/4 and 7-14 PRO lenses, both scheduled to be out in 2015. And IBIS is a huge plus with lenses like the 75/1.8 and 42.5/1.2 Nocticron. IMO this should give the E-M1 a significant edge over the X-T1. Of course, if you are interested in IQ above everything else, the X-T1 may have a slight edge depending on your processing and editing skills. Then again, if IQ is your main/absolute concern you should really be looking at the Sony A7 II or A7s, especially if you have no problems with non-proprietary MF lenses.

Dec 28, 2014 at 09:10 AM
jeffryscott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

Both are great with different strengths and weaknesses, neither of which are deal breakers to me. I would get your hands on the bodies you are interested in and see which feels better as they operate differently.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

Having owned 1 or 2 sets of each (Fuji and M43/Olympus), I'd give the edge to Olympus when taking the "whole enchilada" viewpoint.

That said, it's a highly personal choice -- for instance, I found operating the XT1 was more fun than Olympus, but Fuji's files were troublesome when shooting landscape (and only landscape - no worries elsewhere). These may not even be factors for you, or they could be major deal breakers....only you can know for sure

Dec 28, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Better Complete System: Fuji or Olympus?

I haven't looked at the Fuji in a while, but the micro-four-thirds lineup as a 'system' is pretty good, and it's not just one company supporting it.

What do you want, fast primes (from f0.95 upwards) or zooms (f2.8 upwards)?

** Primes **
Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Lumix 8mm f3.5
Olympus 9mm LC f8
Samyang 10mm f2.8
Voigtlander 10.5mm f0.95
Samyang 12mm f2
Olympus 12mm f2
Lumix 14mm f2.5
Olympus 15mm LC f8
PL 15mm f1.7
Samyang 16mm f2.0
Olympus 17mm f1.8
Olympus 17mm f2.8
Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95
Sigma 19mm f2.8
Lumix 20mm f1.7
PL 25mm f1.7
Olympus 25mm f1.8
Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
Sigma 30mm f2.8
PL 42.5mm f1.2
Voigtlander 42.5mm f0.95
Olympus 43mm LC f2.8
Olympus 45mm f1.8
Olympus 60mm (macro) f2.8
Sigma 60mm f2.8
Olympus 75mm f1.8
Tokina 300mm f6.3
Samyang 300mm f6.3

Zooms
Lumix 7-14mm f4
Olympus 9-18mm f4.0-5.6
Tokina 11-16mm T3
Lumix 12-32mm
Lumix 12-35mm f2.8
Olympus 12-40mm f2.8
Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-6.3
Lumix 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
Lumix 14-45mm f3.5-5.6
Lumix 14-140mm f3.5-5.6
Tamron 14-150 f3.5-5.8
Lumix 35-100mm f2.8
Olympus 40-150mm f2.8
Lumix 45-175mm f4.0-5.6
Lumix 45-150mm f4.0-5.6
Lumix 45-200mm f4-5.6
Lumix 100-300mm f4.5-5.6
Olympus 75-300mm f4.8-6.7

My goto 'photo' camera is the EM1. My Canon gear (including all the L primes and zooms) is sitting on the shelf unused.

And then don't forget that with speedboosters you can be using lots of other glass, like Canon or Nikon, so a 70-200 f2.8 becomes a 70-200 f2.0 or with a regular adapter a 140-400 f2.8, take your pick.

Dec 28, 2014 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.