New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Norris Basin YNP ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Norris Basin YNP ...

First draft @ WIP. Soliciting thoughts direction to take the three areas sky/middle/foreground

Dec 27, 2014 at 06:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Norris Basin YNP ...

My first thought is a crop from the top. Second is maybe bring up the shadows a bit. Just enough to see some variation.

Dec 27, 2014 at 09:37 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Norris Basin YNP ...

ben egbert wrote:
My first thought is a crop from the top. Second is maybe bring up the shadows a bit. Just enough to see some variation.

I think Ben has some good ideas here, I would crop some from the top, remove the hottest part of the sky, the middle needs the shadows lifted and I would probably raise the contrast.

Mike

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Norris Basin YNP ...

can't decide if it needs some from the top. Probably shifts the mood a bit with a crop there
I agree the shadows need a lift
Currently reads plenty contrasty to me. Maybe will need a contrast tweak after shadows come up, but I think shadow recovery and keeping a black point will do it.
Nice colors.
I like the comp
I like that the reddish brown tones on the foreground rock continue in the mid-ground banks

Scott

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Thanks guys,

All points that I was thinking about. Good to hear that the warm color continuity is noticeable @ connect fore-mid. Hopefully, the cool color also connects mid-sky @ water reflection.

Edited on Dec 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Norris Basin YNP ...

it does, a nice natural compositional element

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Thanks Scott,

Here's a stab at some of the suggestions. Some changes might be a bit too subtle to readily notice, but it seems like a rather intricate balancing act. The more I change, the more I notice.

I'm starting to see why it has been said that some landscapes can take weeks to finish ... i.e. the variant possibilities seem infinitely integral.

Edited on Dec 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Do you have SOOC and do you have brackets?

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Here's a mono effort, also.

What size would you like for me to resize the sooc / bracket to for posting?

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Norris Basin YNP ...

more work to lift shadows
BW needs more shadows lifted, more tonal separation, which may be a challenge for this image

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Sooc's @ 25%

Dec 28, 2014 at 01:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Something like this. I use NIK HDR pro to blend and then finish off in LAB. My normal settings are geared for my 5D3 raw files so I had to improvise. I should have done some NR first as the process tends to accentuate noise.

Dec 28, 2014 at 01:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Norris Basin YNP ...

I should have run NR before doing HDR. Here is another try with some other tweaks via levels and curves.

Dec 28, 2014 at 03:49 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Norris Basin YNP ...

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks Scott,

Here's a stab at some of the suggestions. Some changes might be a bit too subtle to readily notice, but it seems like a rather intricate balancing act. The more I change, the more I notice.

I'm starting to see why it has been said that some landscapes can take weeks to finish ... i.e. the variant possibilities seem infinitely integral.

Hi Kent, although subtle, the changes are starting to impact the image, a good start. I would still raise the shadows but you might want to start masking at this point to control where and how I lifted the shadows. A couple of things I wanted to mention and forgot in the first post. The composition is very nice on this image, and the center of the image in the sky has some very interesting clouds. If it was my image I would spend some time here and see if I could coax some drama out of that without over doing the rest of the image.

Mike

Dec 28, 2014 at 05:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Norris Basin YNP ...

maybe?
others might improve more
but I don't think this is a great BW candidate
Scott

Dec 28, 2014 at 05:23 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Norris Basin YNP ...

I like the image, but can also see how this is one that can be a struggle to process.

For me, the focus of the image is the light reflecting on the water in the middle. I don't really love the foreground hillside, except for providing context for the steam. I'd actually look at cropping from the bottom to just below the ridgeline on the right as well as the sky crop you've already explored.

I agree with the others about lightening the shadows in the middle, but would probably also want to lighten the darkest parts of the clouds. The HDR renderings don't do anything for me as they make the sky look unnatural and and the water look flat.

Just my $0.02...

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Thanks guys,

I'm thinking that I'm leaning toward the middle as being the nexus and a need for some additional crop on the bottom. Nice job with the details on the mono Scott. I'm probably thinking more drama, less detail though to drive the water ... although I do like your rendering as the alternative toward showing everything.

Guessing I'll wind up 75% drama / 25% detail for something somewhere in between. It helps to see the other renderings when your mind isn't quite seeing the various options by itself.

Thanks for the inputs.

Dec 29, 2014 at 05:28 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Nice one Kent - I think this is one of the better of your 'western series' so far.

I always struggle on blending those mid/shadow areas, like your distant trees. I think they need to be brought up a bit more than your 2nd version. Do you have an exposure in between the two you posted? Honestly, I'm sometimes very impressed by the PS Auto-Merge Exposure capabilities - you might try it.

I don't think you need to crop very much from the bottom, maybe just a bit above the log at the bottom. I think the crop you did from the top is good.

Really like the balance of steam/river and red rock/red river bank.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Norris Basin YNP ...

Thanks John,

That's the same point I was thinking about cropping at the bottom. I've got a 1 stop bracket between these two that I could use if needed.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:15 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.