Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

Wm. Velasquez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

Hello Canon 7D MK II sport shooters,

I recently purchase one and want to get an idea what works for some of you and give it a go and see if it works for me as well. If you wouldn't mind sharing the settings you use to shoot sports I would appreciated? Baseball, Volleyball, Basketball etc.

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2014 at 04:26 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

I started with Peter Reid Miller's settings for the 1DX... Search for them on Sports Shooter.... That's worked well for me so far. There is a ton of settings recommendations for the 7d2 here on the sports forum.

Dec 27, 2014 at 09:48 PM
alicat
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

FOR ISO I LIKE 3200, 4000 AND 5000 INSIDE GYMS FOR BASKETBALL AND VOLLEYBALL. LIKE TO BE AS CLOSE TO 1/1000 OF A SECOND but 1/800 and 1/500 can work too. I always shoot 1 card jpg and 1 card raw. for my lens I'll go to f4 if I can but normally hang around 2.0 or 2.8 I have used 1.8 at times also. Some of my clients want to see the crowd in thew back rounds that's why the f4. If it's not a problem or if the gym is poorly lit, then I do go to 2.0

My goal is to have a ball that is not blurry in the photos and to have any hands not blurry either. On the 7D2 the higher iso's don't seem to be a problem. Unless the file is going to be made into something really big, I don't even use noise reduction. 10 frames per second is sweet. 4 silent frames is not too shabby either.

I learned from a smart man a long time ago to practice and practice and don't be afraid to try new settings. So I'm not afraid.

Hope this helps.

Alicat

Dec 29, 2014 at 06:30 PM
sanqunetti

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

Hi, Wm. Velasquez

Here are a couple of images from a local high school swim meet. Typical of swim meets around here, the lighting makes it difficult to get great images, but I am having some luck with the 7D2. I used Topaz Denoize on both images to reduce the high iso noise. In the first image, I used layers to make everything but the swimmer monochrome. Sometimes the background gets busy and this brings the attention back to the swimmer.

Both image taken with 7D2, 70-200 f2.8 L wide open. 1/640 sec shutter speed and auto-iso. Focus using center focus point only in servo mode.

© sanqunetti 2014

Image 1.

© sanqunetti 2014

Image 2.

Dec 30, 2014 at 07:13 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

Everyone above:^^^

What case settings are you using?

What changes have you made to each (if any)?

What other AF changes have you done?

Are you using auto focus point or manually selecting them?

Sep 05, 2015 at 10:17 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

I use case 4 about 80% of the time followed by case 1. I leave them unmodified, tried a change, but didn't get any better results. I shoot center point with four surrounding assist points....

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:12 AM
grumply

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

May I ask what metering mode is generally used. In particular, when shooting a) bright light outdoors, and b) when shooting under poor lights outdoors.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:40 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Share your Canon 7D MK II Sport Settings

I used almost all the case settings and made adjustments on all of them and never got very good results so I senty 7DmkII back a little over a week after I got it.

Sep 15, 2015 at 05:12 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.