New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

SeauxCrazy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

Niece asked me to do some Ballerina/Toe shots for her while she was in town. All of her friends were getting them done in cliche places, so we decided to be a little different.

Cemetery Location:
Cemetery Toe Shoot by NOLA_2T, on Flickr

Untitled by NOLA_2T, on Flickr

Park Location:

Downtown/Alley Location:

Thanks for looking! Any feedback or comments are greatly appreciated. I know it's a ton of pics, but I can't seem to find a favorite.

Edited on Dec 29, 2014 at 04:52 PM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2014 at 04:07 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

Nice set. Labeling the shots with numbers helps for comments.

#1 - very clear placement of watermark - great idea. I think that I would have like this more if you was facing the camera. You want to try a few crops around the monument which will draw more focus on the model.

#2 - I really like this one. Try cropping out the distracting metal item on the left and bright grass on the top.

#4 - Interesting perspective. I am just now a fan of it.

#5 - I really like this one because of the drama of the image. You may want to try lightening the model so she stands out a bit more.

#6 - I like how the model mirrors the shape of the tree. Her face is a bit hot.

#7 - I like this one. You may want to try cropping a little off the top.

#8 - I don't know about this one. I like the angles against the wall, but the model seems too small in the photo.

#10 - This is a favorite. It would be nice if she was a little lighter (especially her dark hair and black part of her dress) to stand out from the background more.

Great set.

Dec 29, 2014 at 04:27 PM
SeauxCrazy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

Wildcat, thanks for all of your suggestions and critique, much appreciated.

btw...Geaux Tigers

Dec 30, 2014 at 09:27 AM
Vataga
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

Nice photos!
#10 - Its only my opinion but I think there are better angles to shot her.
It looks like jump is very low...

Dec 30, 2014 at 01:04 PM
SeauxCrazy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

Vataga wrote:
Nice photos!
#10 - Its only my opinion but I think there are better angles to shot her.
It looks like jump is very low...

She wanted a jump picture and we shot it a few times with this one being the winner of the bunch. No offense taken with you opinion

Dec 30, 2014 at 06:15 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

An interesting series, and while there is a real variety of stuff in there, the overall style still seems relatively consistent. What I mean is that it does all look like it shot by the same photographer. Well done.

My thoughts, looking through the set:

#1 - Nice light, although the grey uprights on the grave do compete with her face just a little, easily fixed with some dodging/burning in post. The shot feels like it's leaning counter-clockwise a touch, and you should have removed the leaf/debris near her right foot.
#2 - Interesting angle and subject, but the composition feels a bit weak because the feet are centered but there is not symmetry. Also the bright stuff creeping into shot at the left is distracting.
#3 - Possibly my least fav shot in the series. The lighting on her face is okay but the harsh background light is distracting for me.
#4 - An interesting shot. Not sure how I feel about it. But that makes for good art doesn't it?! Makes you think and ponder.
#5 - Love the drama in this shot, and the PP, while faded blacks aren't my cup-o-tea, is nice and quite current. I feel the composition could have been stronger if you took a step to your left (and turned her slightly to account for the move), to make better use of the background as a framing element. I feel like she's off-center to the left.
#6 - Fun shot, fairly solid exposure. The tip of her toe needs some more room. I feel like the direction of light isn't the best. Perhaps having it come from directly overhead, or maybe turning her head towards the light more (and more upright) might have been better...not sure, but it's not quite working for me as is.
#7 - Another interesting shot. The inclusion of the yellow stripe will be divisive. I do feel like her fingers should have been outstretched on both hands...losing the right fingertips doesn't work for me. Good use of lighting.
#8 - Slightly unusual pose, which put her arm in that backward flex position that isn't great. Again the composition is a little boring/weak/conservative. You seem to have nailed the technical (exposure/lighting/DOF/focus etc) elements, so get more creative with your compositions and crops.
#9 - My fav shot of the series. Strong lighting with a good composition. The graffiti is a touch distracting, and her hand looks a little awkward and could have been more delicate. But those are minor nitpicks.
#10 - As stated previously, not the best angle for this shot. She needs to be rotated more towards the camera so that her arms aren't blocking her face, and you need to shoot from a lower angle to give her more height in the jump. Cool location, solid lighting and generally sound technical execution.

I think this is a whole lot better than I could have produced. It's much easier to critique someones work than to produce it, so take what I say with a good pinch of salt.

Well done.

Dec 31, 2014 at 04:53 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

Nice overall set.

Personal pref's for some diff processing, diff crops / neg space ... but the captures convey the message.

#1 - Probably my fav (curious about square or portrait format)
#2 - Nice abstraction
#3 - Reminds me of a "snapshot" that Aunt Suzy might take, so I'd cull this one
#4 - Fisheye - steals the show from the subject and the subject matter - cull this one also
#5 - Processing doesn't help for me on this one for me, but that's S&P to taste.
#6 - Wishing for some neg space on the right of the shoes ... engaging portrait
#7 - Diggin' the lines, symmetry and mass weighting relationships. Some cropping from the top (better balance to the short neg space @ bottom) and maybe a tweak to straighten the brickwork might strengthen this one
#8 - Some cropping to make use of the leading lines
#9 - Cropping the top for balance to neg space @ bottom (same as #7)
#10 - Some crop from the top to re-balance the jump upward

Dec 31, 2014 at 09:37 AM
SeauxCrazy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Different Locations for a Ballerina Shoot

This goes to show that I still have a lot to learn when it comes to portraits, especially cropping. Thanks for ripping my shots to shreds haha only way to learn

Jan 02, 2015 at 10:54 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.