Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

Dutch937
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

boingyman wrote:
These types of questions are very difficult to answer and will vary depending on shooter, experiences and how they deal with money. However my 2 cents is that the 5D3 will probably be a nice and easy transition due to basically the same layout/controls. It's a great camera to deal with and you might surprise yourself that the AF may be better in certain aspects than your 7D2. On the otherhand what you get for the price of a 6D is pretty damn sweet. It was unheard of having the ability to get a brand new FF for that price
...Show more

Haha..i did just that. Thx!

Dec 30, 2014 at 02:29 PM
71model

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

Interesting thread. I started off with a 60D and a push/pull 100-400mm. It was ok, but what I learned was technique trumps all. There are ways to set the camera for tracking which I don't think the avg photographer is aware. I don't go out at all on a cloudy day, not with that setup. All in all, my images were great for a novice, but I wanted more, sharp images that is. I talked with Tony Northrup, he highly recommended the 400mm f/5.6, and he was right, I was able to produce many more sharp images on a sunny day. Going prime made a big difference, however, I was having quality issues like blurry eye pupils.

So I decided, with recommendations from a well known wildlife photographer, to go full frame. Although it's disputable that part of my problem is technique. I chose the 6d over the 5d3 for many reasons. 1. I just wanted a full frame sensor. 2. I don't motor my body in hopes of getting a good pic, I shoot usually 3-6 shots of a duck coming in, if I don't see the image being sharp, I don't press the button. I learned that from shooting rodeos, editing 3000 pics from one day is a lot of work! 3. Reading comparison reviews reveals the 6D as a strong body against the 5D3.
I have a 6D on the way, and will put it to the test right away. The one thing that worries me after reading many of your post is the autofocus. 6D having 11 vs 5D3 61 is a big difference. I'd still like to know how much difference it really makes having many cross points vs a few. I also wonder about the Crop sensor vs Full Frame. Since I'm switching to 500mm, maybe the appearance will balance out pixel wise I ready to dive in and find out.

For comparison, here's some work with 60D, I'll post with 6D in a week or two. That'll at least give you an idea of more 6D results.
http://www.jamiebeauxisphotography.com/Animals/Wetland-Pics-Feb-2015/
cheers

Mar 22, 2015 at 06:42 PM
childan

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

I was in the same boat not too long ago. I would say the 6D. If you aren't going to be using the better auto focus in the 5diii, you are wasting money. Take that money and buy some glass

Mar 23, 2015 at 02:38 PM
campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

I just went through this and ended up with the 5D3, even though I don't need the AF of the 5D3. My logic was yes it's about a $1000 difference but after 3 years it's probably going to be worth $500-700 more than a 6D which brings the actual cost of ownership to be around $300-500 over the 6D, and that makes it worth it. I actually bought a used one with under 400 clicks for $1800 so it was less of a difference for me which made my decision easier.

Mar 23, 2015 at 07:13 PM
alberta47

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

I own both and the 6D is way ahead for street photography especially in low light.
Spend the 800 on a really good prime.

Mar 23, 2015 at 07:41 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

I don't know what the bird ratings for a 6D and 5D3 are, but I find my 6D AF more sure footed on large flying birds than my 7D. I only use the centre point. The 7D focus seems to have a larger "it'll do" range than the 6D, which is spot on every time. I haven't had a 6D shot where the focus engine couldn't keep up yet.

Mar 23, 2015 at 09:03 PM
dacop
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

I own and use the 6D daily for HS yearbook work. Everything from daylight action to low light performances. The 6D NEVER delivers an out of focus image. I use the center point exclusively with a 24-70, 70-200 and 300 Canon lens. Image quality is excellent. I am sure the 5D3 will also perform this well, but I have no reason to spend the extra money.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:17 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Help please...6D or 5D Mark iii??

Regarding the 6D versus 5D3, I say the same thing against the 1DX while using my 5D3. After all is said and done, secretly I lust over a 1DX. The bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Regarding focus, for those who only use the center point, I think there is no point using the 5D3 for the better AF since you're not taking advantage of it.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:37 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.