Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

For whatever reasons, I can't seem to get any specifics from GH4/FZ1000 owners on some of the more popular forums on the web.

This is about the 4K Photo Mode. The notion of pulling stills from a movie really intrigues me. I know I can select various aspect ratios like 1:1 or 3:2. Basically the aspect ratio that I pick will just crop out of the 16:9 4K video. I understand that. What I don't understand and for whatever reasons no one else have been able to tell me is whether I can use the 4K Photo Mode and record a 1:1 or 3:2 video with audio. I see no reason why I can't do that. For example, if I select the 1:1 aspect ratio and activate the 4K Photo Mode, I'm essentially recording a square aspect ratio movie (similar to a Vine or Instagram video) right? I know the whole point is to extract a specific still from the movie. Yet, I wonder if it's also capable of recording video at the same time.

What I ultimately want is either a 1:1 or 3:2 aspect ratio video with audio. Can I do that?

Unfortunately I can't test this out myself as I don't own either of these cameras.

Thank you.

Dec 27, 2014 at 07:35 AM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

Hi isquare,

For Firmware prior to v. 2.0 on the FZ1000 the answer is, "No, there are no in-camera crop (read: aspect ratio) video choices on the FZ1000."

Firmware v. 2.0 introduced 4K Photo Mode which allows for "4K" 100Mbps 30P MP4 in the following aspect ratios ...

4:3 @ 3328 x 2496
3:2 @ 3504 x 2336
16:9 @ 3840 x 2160
1:1 @ 2880 x 2880

Specifically to your question, audio is recorded in all of those aspect ratios if the camera has the v 2.0 Firmware installed.

To clarify the FZ1000 resolution and aspect ratios further...the "4K" mode setting on the FZ1000 is not a true 4K 4096 x 2160 resolution, nor is it a true 4K 19:10 (1.9:1) aspect ratio. The "4K" mode is actually "QFHD" (Quad Full HD) resolution of 3840 x 2160 with a 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio.

The term, 4K, is derived from the digital bit-math of 4 x 1024 = 4096 pixels, not 4 x 1000 = 4000 pixels of horizontal resolution. And, that Panasonic were being completely honest with their customers their "4K" mode should be advertised for what it truly is...3.75K (1024 x 3.75 = 3840 horizontal pixels). Perhaps there has been some confusion between you and other folks on other forums regarding this math?

The reason I bring this up is because, to get a true 1:1 4K video its frame pixel dimensions would have to be 4096 x 4096. And to get a true 3:2 4K video its pixel dimensions would be 4096 x 2730.66667.

Now, we both know, this is not what you are trying to do!

So, to get 1:1 or 3:2 video from the Panny's 4K Photo Mode one would have to ingest the footage into their NLE (Non-Linear Editor), like Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere, and then crop their footage to whichever aspect ration they desired, and then export the cropped video (with its audio) into its own movie file.

So, cropping 4K Photo Mode footage in an NLE will, using the full maximum vertical resolution, allow for a 2160 x 2160, 1:1 maximum sized aspect ratio video (or, roughly 2.11K), or for a 3240 x 2160, 3:2 maximum sized aspect ratio video (or, roughly, 3.16K).

I hope this helps?
Jimmy G

Edited: For Version 2.0 Firmware Info

Dec 27, 2014 at 02:05 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

Hi All,

I've edited my post above to reflect the changes in version 2.0 firmware for the FZ1000.

Firmware v. 2.0 info, along with download and installation procedures for both Mac and PC, for both NTSC and PAL can be found here at Panny's support site...

DMC-FZ1000 Firmware update service | Download | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global:
http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/FZ1000/index.html

And, here's a v. 2.0 video review which shows how these new functions are accessed...

Panasonic GH4 and FZ1000 Firmware 2.0 Review - YouTube:

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

...from this fella's take on the camera, it sounds like Panny still has some work to do with its firmware to suit his needs!

Jimmy G

Dec 30, 2014 at 08:45 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

Thanks for the response. There's one more thing that I'm curious about. Does the 4K mode embed EXIF information to each of the stills? I don't know if extracting the stills from what is essentially a movie will retain the EXIF information.

Can the Lumix app be used to geotag the images taken with the 4K Photo mode? I can't test this myself since I don't have the camera so if you can test this for me then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

Feb 11, 2015 at 05:41 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

Keep in mind that stills taken from a video clip will be of a pretty slow shutter speed. Produces fine movie footage but often can result in some motion blur for stills.

Its a cool feature for sure, but there is no free lunch.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:23 PM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

lsquare wrote:
Thanks for the response. There's one more thing that I'm curious about. Does the 4K mode embed EXIF information to each of the stills? I don't know if extracting the stills from what is essentially a movie will retain the EXIF information.

Can the Lumix app be used to geotag the images taken with the 4K Photo mode? I can't test this myself since I don't have the camera so if you can test this for me then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

As to your question about EXIF:

Feb 12, 2015 at 09:17 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

millsart wrote:
Keep in mind that stills taken from a video clip will be of a pretty slow shutter speed. Produces fine movie footage but often can result in some motion blur for stills.

Its a cool feature for sure, but there is no free lunch.

When shooting video with the sole intention for sills extraction it's recommended to use photographic shutter speeds. Video motion will look like crap of course. And the stills may suffer from rolling shutter artifacts due to slow sensor read-out rates.

Feb 12, 2015 at 09:46 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

@ snapsy: excellent advice. cheers, KL

Feb 13, 2015 at 06:50 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

Atlasman2 wrote:
As to your question about EXIF:

Was this picture extracted from a clip in the 4K Photo Mode? If so, I'm surprised that the camera make was properly embedded into the EXIF while in another forum, I was told that the FZ1000 doesn't properly embed the camera make into the EXIF.

Feb 14, 2015 at 08:42 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

lsquare wrote:
Was this picture extracted from a clip in the 4K Photo Mode? If so, I'm surprised that the camera make was properly embedded into the EXIF while in another forum, I was told that the FZ1000 doesn't properly embed the camera make into the EXIF.

The image was extracted (in-camera) from 4K footage. The JPG was then processed in Aperture.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:53 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

Atlasman2 wrote:
The image was extracted (in-camera) from 4K footage. The JPG was then processed in Aperture.

Cool, that's good to know. Do you know if it's possible to edit the camera make in the EXIF?

Feb 15, 2015 at 07:17 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

I don't know if the camera name is possible to change in Aperture.

Feb 15, 2015 at 08:48 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

That's a detail that ExifChanger could change.

Feb 15, 2015 at 03:23 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 or the Panasonic FZ1000?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
That's a detail that ExifChanger could change.

Have you done that before via ExifChanger?

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:19 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.