New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Got my first light kit with umbrella

yoshidude
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Got my first light kit with umbrella

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to my mother-in-law, I got my first light kit for Christmas. Ya, she's not so bad.....

I've had an sb-700 for my Nikon D7000, but hadn't had a light stand or any experience with an umbrella or soft box of any kind. I took these 2 photos Christmas night, with quite a bit of adjustment in Lightroom 5.

I, no doubt, have a lot to learn about off-camera flash, but I'm basically pleased with how they turned out.

Taken with D7000, 50mm f1.8, Stratos II radio flash triggers, sb-700, light stand with 45" umbrella positioned 45 degrees up and over, camera left.

Any thoughts or suggestions as I begin to experiment with this new stuff?

Thanks for looking.
Kind Regards,
Scott

1. My Nephew
20141225-DSC_6212 by Scott Rowe, on Flickr

2. My Son
20141225-DSC_6201 by Scott Rowe, on Flickr

Dec 26, 2014 at 06:54 PM
xerofun

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Got my first light kit with umbrella

First one the looks a little bit cool. Both could stand to have a little bit more separation with the background, perhaps a little back light on the hair?

Forgot to say I liked them tho!

Dec 27, 2014 at 08:19 PM
eburge
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Got my first light kit with umbrella

I like the bokeh on the background. Like xerofun said, you could use a separation light.

I'm old fashioned and shoot in manual and use a light meter (Sekonic 358). Since you mentioned only one flash, I would measure the background (ambient) then use the flash setting to set the flash on the subject. (slow but sure)

For quick work, I use Pocket Wizard TT1 and TT5s (just get TT5s and don't waste your money on the TT1 like I did).

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:53 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Got my first light kit with umbrella

I started in a similar way. A cheap flash and an umbrella. You can get great results with one light.
Sure adding extra lights are great but to start with this is all you need. more lights make it more confusing as you get better than look at adding extra lights.

I would suggest shooting these with a longer lens.

Regards
Bud

Dec 28, 2014 at 01:58 AM
yoshidude
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Got my first light kit with umbrella

Thanks Everyone,

Eburge, do you mean to completely meter for the ambient? Then, simply add power to the flash, little by little? I think this is what you mean, and I've read this before, but just wanted to be sure.

With the Christmas lights being the desired backdrop, and the lens open at 1.8, I have to confess that I simply attempted to account for the whole scene. I did not start with just the backdrop of the lights as the beginning of setting exposure.

And, to get the separation, I'd need a second speedlight behind the subject, or maybe a source of continuous, right? These guys were about 5-6 feet in front of the Christmas tree.

Even though I'm excited to get into my speedlight and my cheapo light rig, there is still an intimidation factor. And, I sometimes feel like I'm just guessing my way through.....

Thanks again,
Scott

Dec 28, 2014 at 07:21 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Got my first light kit with umbrella

I think you did well. Not sure about the metering comments because your exposures, both subject and BG, are fine. The biggest improvements would be made, in my mind, with a longer FL, less centered "evidentiary" composition, lightly more distance separation between subject and BG, and a separation light.

But you did quite well, especially with limited lighting experience and setup.

John Caldwell

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM
yoshidude
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Got my first light kit with umbrella

Thanks so much, John.

I've got a chance on New Year's day to try the set-up another time.
I think I'll try out the separation, FL, and composition suggestions.

Looking forward to getting better!
Regards,
Scott

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.