New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

Is the 1.4X built into the 200-400 any sharper/better than the 1.4XIII?

Dec 26, 2014 at 05:47 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

I'm not sure how anyone would test that?

Dec 26, 2014 at 07:14 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

no way to tell, but I would guess it has the advantage of being optimized for a single lens.

Dec 26, 2014 at 07:27 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

I believe with the 200-400 if the internal extender isn't engaged you can use a 1.4X III.

Dec 26, 2014 at 07:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

True dat.

Dec 26, 2014 at 07:32 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

One could probably test it by taking a series of shots with the inbuilt extender engaged, then disengage it and mount the external 1.4x III, and then take the same series of shots as before. I have the 200-400 and really don't see any impact on IQ from the inbuilt 1.4x, but I don't have a 1.4x III to compare it to.

Four members cross my mind who are likely to have some experience with what you're asking: Big Country (Jason), PetKal (Peter), arbitrage (Geoff), and DonGut (Don). If you are so inclined, perhaps a PM to one of them could get you an informed opinion.

Dec 26, 2014 at 07:33 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

No big deal, just one of those things that come to mind when one has nothing better to do

Dec 26, 2014 at 08:08 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

I have not done that TC comparison although it would be rather straightforward to do so, and I'll make a mental note of it for when I use the lens next.

I'd be really very surprised if the built-in TC doesn't yield better results because it is in effect just another lens element (which happens to be removable) matched to the specific lens.

Although that type of an IQ test has not crossed my mind before, there is another issue which I have wondered about, but never got around checking it out: external 1.4xTCs set the lens AF drive speed back to 75% of its bare lens value. I assume that the built in 1.4xTC does the same thing, however, I'd like to verify that as well. Any time I've shot 200-400L with the internal TC engaged, I have not noticed a drop in AF drive speed, but I have not done a dedicated/direct TC vs. no TC comparison.

In fact, with those new long lenses, it is not easy to observe any AF drive speed drop with external 1.4xTC III, when doing normal "real life" shooting, because AF is so fast to start with that a relatively minor speed drop (25%) is not readily felt. It really takes 2xTC III mounted on a new long lens before the AF drive speed drops quite perceptibly.

Dec 26, 2014 at 08:54 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

In the early days of the 200-400, I remember some saying that the 1.4xiii was sharper than the internal but I can't find the link...

I would be pretty upset if that was actually the case.

Charles

Dec 26, 2014 at 09:37 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

Has anyone found themselves wishing they had TWO 1.4x extenders? (In addition to a 2x)

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

it's been a while since i've compared, but from what i recall, they were pretty similar.

the internal is better, because you flip a switch and bam, you've got the 1.4x. instead of manually removing and adding a 1.4x.

as i said in the previous post, if someone can manufacture a teleconverter that has two 1.4x that can be engaged independently, is sharp and doesn't weigh a ton i am all in.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1.4X vs 1.4X

Don't own the lens so I have no idea, but I'd guess that the internal one would do better since it could be designed to exactly counteract any aberrations particular to that exact lens.

But I've never tested it and don't recall seeing a carefully carried out test of such either, so who knows for sure.

It would be sad if it did worse and surprising if it didn't do at least a tiny bit better, but who knows what reality is.

Dec 27, 2014 at 03:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.