New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Christmas magic

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Christmas magic

One of the many wonders of her first Christmas.

Grab shot among patient relatives.

Comments and preference(s) welcome.

Thanks,

Bob

Dec 25, 2014 at 08:21 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Christmas magic

Very nice!
Greg

Dec 25, 2014 at 09:11 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Christmas magic

Nice!
Reds and greens for the holiday!
Scott

Dec 25, 2014 at 09:21 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Christmas magic

Oh, how cute!

Dec 25, 2014 at 09:34 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Christmas magic

Precious!

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Christmas magic

Great shot Bob. I am going through the 50-60 Christmas shots I took and wondering what I need to do different to get this sort of shot.

Shooting in a room so crowded you can hardly move and with so much clutter it is impossible to isolate the subject.

I think shooting wide open helps, and I suspect you are shooting natural light rather than flash.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Christmas magic

gregfixit wrote:
Very nice!
Greg

---------------------------------------------

sbeme wrote:
Nice!
Reds and greens for the holiday!
Scott

AuntiPode wrote:
Oh, how cute!

Oregon Gal wrote:
Precious!

Thanks everyone,

Glad you enjoy the image, thanks again for your comments,

Best,

Bob

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Christmas magic

ben egbert wrote:
Great shot Bob. I am going through the 50-60 Christmas shots I took and wondering what I need to do different to get this sort of shot.

Shooting in a room so crowded you can hardly move and with so much clutter it is impossible to isolate the subject.

I think shooting wide open helps, and I suspect you are shooting natural light rather than flash.

Thanks for your comments Ben,

Knowing pretty much the lay of the land, I strategically selected a position with good vantage points and dining room lights to my back. Two XP1's, 23mm & 35mm primes, later changed from 35mm to the 56mm for tighter work. Auto ISO 3200, SP @1/125 generally. Tried some flash, SB600 manual mode - reasonably acceptable images but not what I prefer color-wise.

Anyway, in this instance her uncle was walking by me and they were facing the light so I got a string of 4 images. For this particular one I had to remove some bokeh directly behind her (outlined her nose actually) and clean up another spot. This particular frame is in the middle of the series.

That said, of ~140 images for family purposes I selected about half. For personal use and further work, at the moment about 4 appeal to me plus several others I've not worked on yet. Family is accustomed to my excusing myself from table and moving about, plus small form-factor of Fuji and no flash helps not attract attention so I can work in pretty much stealth mode.

Probably TMI, appreciate your comments,

Bob

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Christmas magic

Bob Jarman wrote:
Thanks for your comments Ben,

Knowing pretty much the lay of the land, I strategically selected a position with good vantage points and dining room lights to my back. Two XP1's, 23mm & 35mm primes, later changed from 35mm to the 56mm for tighter work. Auto ISO 3200, SP @1/125 generally. Tried some flash, SB600 manual mode - reasonably acceptable images but not what I prefer color-wise.

Anyway, in this instance her uncle was walking by me and they were facing the light so I got a string of 4 images. For this particular one I had to remove some bokeh
...Show more

Thanks for the info. I work hard at landscape, and try to be competent as the family history recorder, I think I am better at the former than the latter. I will post a few of mine later for comment.

My job is to make sure everyone has been captured opening a gift. I try to get a few candids along the way. I don't have any primes other than a 14 and 17 and none that are fast. A 24-70 f2.8 zoom is my goto lens for inside shots. I am afraid of ISO higher than 800. But you get great results. I did shoot an event recently at ISO3200.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Christmas magic

Slightly underexposed on my non-calibrated monitor. Not sure that it has the sharpness for a good B&W conversion. That said, it's a nice capture! FWIW

Dec 27, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Christmas magic

bryanlindsey wrote:
Slightly underexposed on my non-calibrated monitor. Not sure that it has the sharpness for a good B&W conversion. That said, it's a nice capture! FWIW

Thanks Bryan,

I have an innate tendency toward underexposure.

Re sharpness, after doing some research I wish I'd stopped down to f2.8 or more since I think - have not tested this - sharpness would improve. Sweet zone of f/2.8 - f/11 is suggested for this lens. I'm often torn between a rich, softer look vis-à-vis sharpness. Unfortunately I've not discovered how to have it both ways.

Bob

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.