New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D750 and D810

turosan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 and D810

I have talked with several pros and writers and while they agree with the light leak issue in the 750, in their experience they claim it is only a problem in less than 2% of the cameras.

Several have also said that Nikon is finally admitting the problem and is looking to correct it. But we all know how slow Nikon is.

The biggest thing I have noticed out in the market place is that there are 15 D810s for sale to every 1 D750. Very interesting.

Any comments?

Dec 25, 2014 at 09:44 AM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 and D810

From what I understand the spacing on the AF module needs to be adjusted to eliminate the problem (some have noticed a bigger gap in the cameras affected, vs. a smaller gap in those not affected), so it's probably fixable...just depends on if Nikon feels like spending the time to adjust the module, then recalibrate the AF. I doubt they will though. Even if the high-end estimates of 10-15% of bodies is affected, not many people shoot with backlit subjects with the sun just out of frame, so I'd imagine not many will even notice the problem or be able to recreate it. If only 0.5% of users complain, I highly doubt Nikon will even formally acknowledge it.

I personally shoot ~2/3 of my outdoors/location stuff backlit, with the sun a couple inches out of frame...so it's highly likely the problem would show up in my work. As such I'm not willing to risk a D750. At least not so soon as to not know if it's part of the "bad" batch with big AF gap/flare issues, but maybe further down the road once it's for sure been worked out.

As far as there being more D810's to D750's, the 810's been out a little longer (too lazy to look up exact dates, maybe 3-4 months?)...and most people who would've been 750 buyers probably jumped on the 810 bandwagon first. I see a lot of posts here and on other forums about people switching from 800s/810's to 750 so I bet by the summer it'll be even if not swayed more on the 750 side.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM
silvermesa1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 and D810

I was looking through the buy/sell section yesterday and noticed quite a few D810's for sale. I'm curious what are people not happy with?

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 and D810

Only my opinions, but they are completely different cameras.

1) D810 is still a boatload of megapixels @ 36mp. Nothing has changed from the original D800 & D800E as far as file size. If you aren't shooting detailed landscapes or studio work, why bother. You should have the right hammer for the job.

2) The D810 can be called a "generalist camera, but again, there are still those large files to work with. The D750 is much more a generalist camera @ 24mp, and also smaller and somewhat lighter.

3) D810 is expensive compared to the D750. People can cut their losses, get into a very nice camera body for ~ $1,000 less, and have found that they don't need the D810.

4) some people just like to try new things. They don't worry about losing a couple hundred $$ swapping out. They can afford it, and they do it. Not everything is financially driven.

To be honest, when I was reading this board as the D810 was released, I was a little surprised how many people were buying it, compared to the release of the D800 & D800E when folks were much slower moving in their decisions.

Me, I'll take the D810 any day though, as it's perfect for what I shoot.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 and D810

add one d750 to the buy sell forum (shameless plug )

Dec 25, 2014 at 03:59 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 and D810

turosan wrote:
I have talked with several pros and writers and while they agree with the light leak issue in the 750, in their experience they claim it is only a problem in less than 2% of the cameras.

Several have also said that Nikon is finally admitting the problem and is looking to correct it. But we all know how slow Nikon is.

The biggest thing I have noticed out in the market place is that there are 15 D810s for sale to every 1 D750. Very interesting.

Any comments?

I'm curious, how did these pros and writers come to the conclusion that less than 2% of the cameras are affected?

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 and D810

I bought my D810 from one who changed to the D750, and he didn't get much more than he needed to pay for the D750. His reasons for the change were:

- He didn't see the D750 coming when he purchased the D810
- He prefers a smaller body, but didn't find the D610 sufficient for his needs
- He doesn't need 1/8000s, ISO 64/32 and other pro features of the D810
- The D750 seems to be better at high ISO than the D810

If photography was only a hobby for me, I suspect that I would have made the same choice. As for the light leak issue of the D750, I think it's blown way out of proportion. The problem has been exposed and it's an obvious warranty issue, which I'm sure Nikon will recognise.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D750 and D810

I worked my D810 hard this week for 3 ballet shows.

The good: Got what I expected in amazing detail and flexibility in the files. I shot a Df as well. In looking at the two as much as I could I would take the D810 files over the Df, but I had the D810 capped at 8K ISO and the Df at 12.8K ISO.

The bad: I filled two 64GB cards and yes the file manipulation and noise reduction had measurable delay as I watched the little clock go round and round. But... when I viewed at 100% everyone was like WOW!

If I was to have to shoot this every weekend, I'd probably go D750 or D4/D3s, but for fun and WOW D810!

Thought long and hard about the D750 but I can imagine as this whole banding thing progresses it could end up similar story as D8xx focus, not as bad as the D600 stigma but very happy I spent $300 more for the refurb D810.

The Df was a complete disappointment in comparison. Hated the poor ergo in switching settings, the focus also disappointed me ( I forget how marginal the D600 was in the conditions I shoot ), and when compared to process D810 files was very unimpressive.

My D810 is staying but the Df is a going, anyone want a lightly used Df

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:33 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.