Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

deepz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

Hi all,

Need your help here to understand before i make a big investment.

Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 (rumors are its going to be out next quarter) or any other new FF camera from Canon next quarter or buy the 5D Mark 3 considering the price after rebate its sold for during this holiday season.

5D Mark 3 is an excellent camera and what makes me wait is the old technology its using.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Happy Holidays.

Dec 24, 2014 at 06:03 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

I've seen many people here and other forums give the advise that it's hard to take pictures with a rumor. Buy the 5d3 now if you need it and start enjoying it. If you aren't in need, then waiting is a reasonable thing.

Dec 24, 2014 at 06:33 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

Without knowing what you shoot and what equipment you already have, it is impossible to say. These make a big difference. For example, if you shoot landscape and all you have right now is a digital Rebel, then buying a 5D III makes a lot of sense (if you pair it with a quality lens); if, on the other hand, you already have a 5D II, then it makes much less sense.

Dec 24, 2014 at 06:58 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

How much money do you have, how much do you care about whatever the improvements may be (i.e., is the 5d3 deficient in some way for your needs/wants), and how long are you willing to wait.

The 5d3 is as good a camera today as it was when it was introduced, and will be as good five years from now as it is now. If its specs meet your needs, buy it (best way: Canon Loyalty Program); if not, wait for a camera that does.

Dec 24, 2014 at 06:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

We must wait: I feel 5D MkOMG is just around the corner.

Dec 24, 2014 at 07:03 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

Match what you shoot to the tech you need, just like you would if buying a new lens. Look; read reviews, and evaluate the plusses and minuses of the most current bodies and perhaps older 1D series if you need a more robust camera and higher FPS or AF at f8, dual cards, etc.

I see you have a 7D listed in your profile, adding FF to your kit seems logical, is it for stills only or will you be shooting video. If video is involved make sure it can manage audio well, if stills are your focus you might look at the 6D if lots of AF points and high FPS aren't needed.

The 5D3 has lots of pluses and a few minuses, but can you wait for your jump to FF. Also, the 5D4 isn't here, rumors abound, but they can't get you the shot. Pricing will fluxuate, the 5D3's will go down when it's replacement comes out, it's still 2.5K or more even as a refurb.

If you can wait; like many are, to see what Canon brings forth to challenge the Nikon/Sony knockout, do so and just keep exploiting your 7D. And if you get the itch for FF, rent one before you plop down a bundle for an older body, you might find you don't need the latest tech.

Then again, the 'unknown' does tease doesn't it

Cheers,
Jerry

Dec 24, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

How much is a new 5D4 going to cost? How long do you wait? Used 5Ds are a great buy.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:03 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

I'm waiting. I expect an announcement to be made between March 2015 and August 2016.

March 2015 - marks the 36th month anniversary of the 5D3
August 2016 - marks the 2016 Summer Games in Rio

I do not have a project or job right now to get a 5D3 so it isnt a bother to wait.

My hope: Canon will equal the full frame bodies of Sony/Nikon released in 2014 or 2015. I do not expect them to exceed their competitors.

Edited on Dec 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM · View previous versions

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

PetKal wrote:
We must wait: I feel 5D MkOMG is just around the corner.

Oh, gee, more psychic power! Now I'm reassured!

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM
pompo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

since you asking if you should wait that tells me you aren't in the immediate need, which means you should def wait. the m3 is 3yrs old and the newer body will sport major improvements, whether that will be higher dr, lower noise at high iso ore more mlix or all of above (!)

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

deepz wrote:
Hi all,

Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 (rumors are its going to be out next quarter) or any other new FF camera from Canon next quarter or buy the 5D Mark 3 considering the price after rebate its sold for during this holiday season.

5D Mark 3 is an excellent camera and what makes me wait is the old technology its using.

Happy Holidays.

There are various ways to look at this.

If you really need a camera with the 5D3 or better capabilities right now, then it probably make sense to go ahead and get the 5D3. There are some good prices right now.

If you don't need the camera, but are sort of thinking of getting something before too long, why not wait just a bit? I would bet that within a month to six weeks the potential of the rumors of an announcement in the near future will either become clearer... or nothing will happen and they will die. In either case, if you aren't in a hurry... why hurry?

Of course, as many have pointed out, you can get yourself stuck in the waiting-for-the-better-thing trap. Each time a new thing comes out you put off buying because the new thing is always more expensive at first and you know the price will come down. But as the price comes down you are a bit closer to the next new thing and you begin to contemplate waiting instead of buying. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Dan

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:54 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

deepz wrote:
Hi all,

Happy Holidays.

My advice is don't make buying decisions based on rumors. Any new body will cost $1K more, and might not really be what you need. The Rumor sounds like a high MP body that just might be mirrorless and use a new series of lenses. Do you really want to wait for that? If that were to happen, you will have to use adaptors with your EF lenses, because only a small number of the new series will be released with the camera, likely one or two. I'd wait and see how well it works before jumping.

Don't expect to actually see a camera until July or August, even if its announced in May or June.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

Generally the common advice to not wait for rumors is fine advice, but there are times and circumstances that argue for waiting.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

deepz wrote:
Hi all,

Happy Holidays.

Get a Nikon D750 or D810 now if you need a full frame DSLR with the best sensor technology. Chances are even the next 5D (5D4 or 3D) will not exceed those two in image quality metrics.

Dec 26, 2014 at 01:05 AM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

Sneakyracer wrote:
Get a Nikon D750 or D810 now if you need a full frame DSLR with the best sensor technology. Chances are even the next 5D (5D4 or 3D) will not exceed those two in image quality metrics.

This would really only make sense if you don't have a stable of Canon EF glass. And the grass isn't perfect on the other side, either.

I would say that it is probably not the opportune time to get a 5D3 as a refresh will likely be in the next 6 mos or so. But hey, life is short and there are a lot of photos to potentially take in that time.

Dec 26, 2014 at 01:43 AM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

You did not give any info whether you have any other camera now, lenses...why do you need it or how desperate are you. You need to say more. I am waiting for 5D MKIV, but I did not see any serious indication that it will come next quarter.

deepz wrote:
Hi all,

Happy Holidays.

Dec 26, 2014 at 01:53 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

How about buying a 2nd hand 5D mark III now and sell it when a IV comes out? You might lose a bit of money because the value of 2nd hand copies will go down but it shouldn't be too bad.

Dec 26, 2014 at 04:59 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

Sneakyracer wrote:

Indeed. Or if you want a brand with lots of QC problems that they won't admit to, or if you don't want the best lenses (with a few notably exceptions).

The truth is that the grass isn't greener on the other side - it's just greener for some people.

Dec 26, 2014 at 08:55 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

evertdoorn wrote:
How about buying a 2nd hand 5D mark III now and sell it when a IV comes out? You might lose a bit of money because the value of 2nd hand copies will go down but it shouldn't be too bad.

This is the best answer IMO

Dec 26, 2014 at 08:56 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Should i wait for the 5D Mark 4 or buy 5D Mark 3 ?

The 5D MkV blows the MkIV out of the water, so I'd definitely wait.

Dec 26, 2014 at 09:08 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.