New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

3CeeMedia

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

When i look for used Canon Lenses they will sometimes say Japan or Australia. Is there any difference in the quality of the lenses? Would you buy the foreign versions?

Dec 24, 2014 at 05:30 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

There is no difference. Most lenses are made in only one location. There are some that are made in both Japan and Taiwan or Japan and Malaysia.

None are made in Australia. You might be getting confused with where the lens was originally imported to and what kind of warranty it has.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

Yep, save for sample variations, all Canon lenses of the same model are the same design and materials. On other words, they're all made in Japan save for a few budget and EF-s models. There are no "foreign versions" save for the warranty cards (not an issue for the used market since there is no warranty). I'd be concerned about mechanical and optical condition only.

Dec 25, 2014 at 06:42 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

Canon USA or Canon Canada do not make any lenses (yet).
All Canon lenses are foreign made, i.e., in a foreign country (mostly in Japan) by foreigners.

At this point in time any domestic (i.e., in Canada) production of Canon lenses is rather unlikely. That is a good thing, I suppose, because those foreign made lenses, similar to our foreign grown fresh produce imported from USA and Mexico, are of such quality and pricing which we can not possibly match domestically, i.e., in Canada. Not by a long shot.

Dec 25, 2014 at 07:52 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

Look- I love America and I'm all for good American labor...but I do not like the idea of my lenses being made domestically. I've never have equated quality optics with "Bob on 3rd Ave."

Call me crazy- but any quality optics that I own are made in another country.

Dec 25, 2014 at 02:15 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

The Japanese lenses have better bokeh (and right side up) than the Australian ones... choose carefully.

Dec 25, 2014 at 02:18 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

RobertLynn wrote:

OK, Robby: you are crazy.

Dec 25, 2014 at 03:22 PM
ted1000
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

I'll also call you crazy if you include telescope optics http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/telescopes/175edf/175edf

Dec 25, 2014 at 05:49 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

PetKal wrote:
OK, Robby: you are crazy.

I still love you.

Dec 25, 2014 at 06:58 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

ted1000 wrote:
I'll also call you crazy if you include telescope optics http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/telescopes/175edf/175edf

I do not own a telescope. I have quality rifle optics (Swarovski) aND the quality camera lenses I have heard of (not talking about onlY canon or nikon) are not made in the USA.

Dec 25, 2014 at 07:00 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

Some lenses have been made in various places over the years.

Take the EF 50mm f/1.8 as a example. The first ones were made in Japan and had a wide focus ring like the 50mm f/1.4.

Then the lens was redesigned becoming the Mark II still made in Japan.

Later or with some overlap, production was moved to Malaysia. I've owned several of each.

Dec 25, 2014 at 08:22 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

RobertLynn wrote:

Okay, Robert, you're crazy. Now you're free to own it.
You just have to move up the food chain to see home-grown lenses:

(Image from Enrico Savazzi web site.) Jenoptik (Germany) now owns Coastal Optical Systems, but this and other specialty lenses are made in Florida. I believe the designer (Brian Caldwell) is American, too.

Ref:
http://www.savazzi.net/photography/coastalopt_60.html
http://www.jenoptik-inc.com/news/1-latest/102-first-fully-corrected-lens-for-the-uv-vis-nir-spectrum-introduced.html
http://diglloyd.com/articles/CoastalOptics60f4/index.html
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/716974/0&year=2008#6478674

Dec 26, 2014 at 04:59 AM
3CeeMedia

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

tHANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

There is no difference in the lens physically, but there may be a difference in the resale value, should you ever want to list your lens for sale at some point. Even though there may not be a rational reason for it, "US" lenses (those that were officially imported) are often easier to sell, especially if you still have a receipt for it. Many sellers mention that in their post, and when I sold some of my lenses, buyers often asked me if the lens was a "US" version.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon USA vs. Japan Lens

Thorsten wrote:
There is no difference in the lens physically, but there may be a difference in the resale value, should you ever want to list your lens for sale at some point. Even though there may not be a rational reason for it, "US" lenses (those that were officially imported) are often easier to sell, especially if you still have a receipt for it. Many sellers mention that in their post, and when I sold some of my lenses, buyers often asked me if the lens was a "US" version.

The problem with that is lenses of the same make and model look and work exactly the same. There is no way to distinguish a gray lens from an official import once it is used. I've sold hundreds of lenses between, FMBS, Ebay and Amazon, and nobody has ever asked about the past import status. The one thing that seems to bring a little more money--or at least a larger pool of buyers--is if it includes the original box! I used to toss the box but now make a point of stowing it in the garage. A couple boxes I managed to sell separately for a silly amount to unfortunate souls with a terrible box fetish!

Dec 29, 2014 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.