New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

deone

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

While hiking with my new 100-400 IS II with the lens pointed straight down, the lens extends by itself. This is with the tension ring at its loosest setting. Tightening it even slightly fixes this creeping. Are others experiencing this also or is there a likely defect in my lens?

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

I suspect that's partially why there's a tension ring. I've never had an externally-zooming lens that didn't creep.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

My 70 300L does the same thing. I haven't really used the 100 400L enough to know yet but would expect it do do the same. On the 70 300 I just tighten the ring up to stop it.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM
HarveyGold
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

When mine is at the loosest setting of the friction ring, it creeps ever so slightly. Seems to stop at about the 200mm point. As you say, a very slight tightening and it stops. Nothing that would cause me any concern as I'm sure that is partly why the ring is there.

Enjoy the lens. I'm certainly enjoying mine.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

At the loosest setting, at least with my copy, you can get that beloved/hated push-pull zooming if you want. I discovered this by accident while trying to take the hood off without unlocking/twisting it. Not entirely sure if this is by design or if the zoom gears will not get worn out damaged using it this way, so caveat zoomer!

At the loosest setting on mine, there is no creep as such if the lens is just resting vertically. But any inertial/acceleration changes will cause the lens to extend. E.g., if you jerk the lens downwards and then stop suddenly, it will extend a bit. Or if the lens is swinging around at the end of a strap. I suspect that this will become more prominent over time.

At the tightest setting, thing are, well, tight!

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

deone wrote:
While hiking with my new 100-400 IS II with the lens pointed straight down, the lens extends by itself. This is with the tension ring at its loosest setting. Tightening it even slightly fixes this creeping. Are others experiencing this also or is there a likely defect in my lens?

That's why there is a tension ring. If the tension is high enough to prevent creep when the lens is pointed straight down and you are jostling the lens, it would be too high for comfortable zooming.

This is how the lens is supposed to work.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Rusty1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

deone wrote:

Hi deone.
No that is normal. The advantage is the 100-400 v1 could slam to the long end and jar lens elements.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM
maholyoak
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

I've owned three 100-400 version 1 and now have a version 2. With all my version 1's the tension ring could be used to fully lock the lens. With my new 2 it does not and I notice it extends getting it out of a holster case so I expect it would extend when hiking. Seems like Canon lost something between version 1 and 2. Other than this I love the new lens. It is spectacular with a 7d2. I must admit however to the feeling that the hole in the hood with the sliding cover, presumably to take the lens cap on and off, is entirely supurfluous and you'd need fingers like bananas to need it. Along with the rubber eyepiece cover on the camera strap that never stays on this has to qualify as one of Canon's stranger moments.

Dec 24, 2014 at 07:44 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

maholyoak wrote:
I must admit however to the feeling that the hole in the hood with the sliding cover, presumably to take the lens cap on and off, is entirely supurfluous.

Your presumption is a little strange: I cannot imagine how you would remove the lens cap using the window!

The purpose of the window is easily rotate filters, such as a circular polarizer.

Dec 24, 2014 at 07:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

Yes to the filter rotation door. I think mine will usually be held closed with gaffer's tape. The locking ring on my Mk II locks the barrel securely in place.

Dec 24, 2014 at 08:54 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

The same mechanism that makes zooming almost effortless also makes creep just as effortless. It's the nature of recirculating ball helicoids.

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:24 PM
deone

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

Thanks all for the responses!

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:06 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 100-400 IS II Zoom creep

Seems like that is what the tension ring is for. It doesn't surprise me that it would creep on the loosest setting, why wouldn't it?

Dec 25, 2014 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.