New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Switching from Canon

ChrisAuch

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Switching from Canon

Hey guys I was just looking for some helpful input on camera/ lens combos. I am currently shooting with a canon 7d and 500 f4 for the most part and am looking to head to the dark side. I've been looking at the D810 and 500 f4 vr ii. Do any of you guys have this combo or could suggest a better wildlife combo? Is the D750 possibly a better choice? what about the other long lenses (400,600)? I also use my dslr for filming hunting shows on the outdoor channel. How is the video with these 2 cameras?

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Switching from Canon

D750 will give you more FPS than the 810 and save you close to a 1000. That will give you more money to spend on glass.

If you like shooting crop the D7200 also is rumored to be close as well.

Good luck.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM
ChrisAuch

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Switching from Canon

I also might add that if someone is looking to get sell any of the long lenses, send me a pm. Looking for the newer vr ii versions. I will buy the camera body new from b&h

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Switching from Canon

My first question would be what is wrong with the new 7DII ?

Dec 24, 2014 at 02:14 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Switching from Canon

As you will lose the 1.5 magnification factor (or whatever the technical term is) when you move from APSC to FX, I think you are better off using the D810 where you can use the DX mode and still have plenty of resolution. Also, with the optional battery pack, you get a slightly higher (0.5) fps over the D750.

If I understand you correctly, you are "filming", that means you are using the video function. The D810 is a decent video dSLR, from what I have learned. I think the video features for both the D750 and D810 are almost identical, if not the same.

I don't know what your budget is, but have you thought about getting the new Nikon 400/2.8 VR (with FL and ED glass)? It couples very well with 1.4TC and is decent with 2.0TCIII.

Good luck.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Switching from Canon

Frogfish wrote:
My first question would be what is wrong with the new 7DII ?

There are a number of people having issues with those cameras, particularly AF issues. It has also been getting some fairly average reviews. Sounds like he just wants to move to full frame on a Sony sensor though based on what he's looking at.

Regardless, to the OP, I would look at the D810 for wildlife over the D750 (not that it would be bad). You can put more pixels on your subject, the buffer is enormous, and in 1.2X crop mode, you still get 6 FPS at 25MP (or 15MP in 1.5 crop mode, 6fps w/o grip, 7 fps w/grip). It's just a very flexible camera with a full-professional build. You can also get them for some very good prices during the holidays here it seems. Really though you can't go wrong with either camera, the D750 just received the highest overall rating DPR has ever given to a camera as well. I think you would be blown away by either camera coming from a 7D, but when it comes to specifics, I would go D810 for wildlife.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM
ChrisAuch

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Switching from Canon

I don't think there is anything wrong with the 7D ii, I just started shooting with a friends nikon and fell in love with the pictures right out of the camera. Im also not impressed with the high iso shooting in my current 7d. Im leaning towards the d810 with the mp count and build. Any Suggestions with the long lenses? Im leaning towards the 500 due to weight/reach

Dec 24, 2014 at 05:17 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Switching from Canon

ChrisAuch wrote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with the 7D ii, I just started shooting with a friends nikon and fell in love with the pictures right out of the camera. Im also not impressed with the high iso shooting in my current 7d. Im leaning towards the d810 with the mp count and build. Any Suggestions with the long lenses? Im leaning towards the 500 due to weight/reach

Shooters were apparently disappointed with the 7D's high-ISO performance when it was released- I was certainly disappointed with my 60D's high-ISO performance, which used a similar sensor. The 7D II is a different animal, not necessarily in the numbers it delivers in absolute sensor performance, but in the character of said performance.

But sticking with the full-frame Nikon idea, if high-ISO and low-light shooting is your goal, especially without the availability of focus assist, the D750 is worth considering over the D810.

Dec 24, 2014 at 06:04 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Switching from Canon

I have the D810 and 500 f4 VR. It is a superb combo, but now that the 400 f2.8 VR FL (Flourite) has been released, I would give that serious consideration instead as it is the same weight as the 500, slightly shorter but a bit larger in diameter. The reason is, you get the 400 f2.8, add a 1.4x TCIII and you get a 560mm f4 with basically no IQ penalty. You can also use the 1.7x TCII for a 680mm f5 and use a 2x TCIII and have an 800mm f5.6. The 500 f4 VR, whilst it will accept the 1.7x TC and the 2x TC, the IQ drop is more severe and AF becomes severely hampered. It does work very well with the 1.4x TCII and TCII, however. I have been thinking of going the 400 f28 VR FL route, but it is an expensive lens and I'd need to sell my 500 f4 VR to fund it as well as a few others!

D810 + 500 f4 VR + 1.4x TCIII wide open @ f5.6! ISO2016, 1/1667sec cropped about 30%

The beauty of the D810 is that you can crop more severely than with the D750 to gain "reach" as it is 16Mp when cropped to DX size and more in keeping with your 7D MKII. The D810 is still excellent at high ISO's which you sometimes need when shooting birds in order to stop motion or are in dim light as this is where birds often are as well as being more active at dawn and dusk.

This was shot at ISO12,800

D810 + 300mm fs.8 VRII + 1.4x TCII, ISO12,800, f5.6, 1/833sec, cropped about 20-25%.

Dec 24, 2014 at 07:34 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Switching from Canon

I have a D800E and D7100. Honestly, when it comes to wildlife, my D7100 is the better choice. It gives 24mp in crop mode, has slightly better AF, and image quality is the same up to about ISO 1600. You lose a lot when you abandon the top DX cameras (mostly cash!!!) I would bet you aren't shooting wildlife a whole lot at the moment. The suggestion to wait until the D7200 appears sometime in 2015 is an excellent one. If I was mostly a wildlife shooter, I never would have bought a D800E. I would definitely put the money into a lens instead.

Kent in SD

Dec 25, 2014 at 01:47 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Switching from Canon

johnctharp wrote:
Shooters were apparently disappointed with the 7D's high-ISO performance when it was released- I was certainly disappointed with my 60D's high-ISO performance, which used a similar sensor. The 7D II is a different animal, not necessarily in the numbers it delivers in absolute sensor performance, but in the character of said performance.

But sticking with the full-frame Nikon idea, if high-ISO and low-light shooting is your goal, especially without the availability of focus assist, the D750 is worth considering over the D810.

I agree with John. The 7D has always been slated for it's ISO performance over 800 ISO. However you are going to lose a lot of money switching out big lenses when moving from Canon to Nikon. I would suggest you hire a 7DII for a week (Lens Rentals) and see if you like the files, as well as the AF etc. There are many wildlife and sports shooters raving about this camera. Even here on FM.

Lance has posted some stunning shots above and if you are determined to move to Nikon then I'd agree with a D810 (@x1.2 and 24MP) though as much for the silent shutter (can be a major plus with birds close in) as it's flexibility. If you also do a fair bit of landscape, architecture etc. as well then the 810 would be a great choice as an all round camera.

The 400/2.8 would also be my choice if you can afford it - it's flexibility is wonderful and it is surprising how often you will use f2.8 & 6,400 or with the D810 even 12,800 (early mornings / late afternoons / rain-forests / poor weather) when 400mm is enough.

Dec 25, 2014 at 03:45 AM
K mueller
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Switching from Canon

Give the 7DII a try? Heck, for the money swapping to Nikon you could upgrade to a 7DII and pick up a used 5D3. Or keep your old body and pick up one of the latter mentioned and a new 100-400II. Having a second body with a 70-200 or 100-400 plus a 500f4 setup is the only way to go! Nikon definitely has the jump on the better senors but Canons lineup is getting a little long in tooth and am curious to see what 2015 has to offer!

Dec 25, 2014 at 08:06 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Switching from Canon

K mueller wrote:
Give the 7DII a try? Heck, for the money swapping to Nikon you could upgrade to a 7DII and pick up a used 5D3. Or keep your old body and pick up one of the latter mentioned and a new 100-400II. Having a second body with a 70-200 or 100-400 plus a 500f4 setup is the only way to go! Nikon definitely has the jump on the better senors but Canons lineup is getting a little long in tooth and am curious to see what 2015 has to offer!

The OP had posted that he loves the pictures that he got using his friend's Nikon cameras and hence his decision to go with Nikon. Why are you so trying to convince him to keep using Canon? It is like he wants to change his religion, and the pastors/priests of his existing religion are aghast and wants to keep him in their folds.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM
K mueller
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Switching from Canon

AMaji wrote:
The OP had posted that he loves the pictures that he got using his friend's Nikon cameras and hence his decision to go with Nikon. Why are you so trying to convince him to keep using Canon? It is like he wants to change his religion, and the pastors/priests of his existing religion are aghast and wants to keep him in their folds.

Nikon has the sensors, Canon has the glass... Doesn't everyone say invest in "Good" glass? to the Proper Forum

Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Switching from Canon

everyone doesn't say that though.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Switching from Canon

Frogfish wrote:
Lance has posted some stunning shots above and if you are determined to move to Nikon then I'd agree with a D810 (@x1.2 and 24MP) though as much for the silent shutter (can be a major plus with birds close in) as it's flexibility. If you also do a fair bit of landscape, architecture etc. as well then the 810 would be a great choice as an all round camera.

Thank you for your kind comment.

The 400/2.8 would also be my choice if you can afford it - it's flexibility is wonderful and it is surprising how often you will use f2.8 & 6,400 or with the D810 even 12,800 (early mornings / late afternoons / rain-forests / poor weather) when 400mm is enough.

Agree completely.

Dec 25, 2014 at 06:24 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Switching from Canon

K mueller wrote:
Nikon has the sensors, Canon has the glass... Doesn't everyone say invest in "Good" glass? to the Proper Forum

Merry Christmas!

Well, the Canon users have to say that don't they, as they definitely can't say they have the best sensors, so in order to have some dignity left they have to say they have the best glass.

Dec 25, 2014 at 06:30 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Switching from Canon

1. I would get the D810:
a. quiet shutter/mirror
b. superb files
c. a DX option with 16 mpx
d. with 36 mpx you can crop quite a bit to give you a lot more reach

2. And you might not like the D750's limited buffer.

3. Regarding Canon long glass resolution: All that advantage is about to change. Oh yes it is.

Right now….the new 800 FL Nikkor is the sharpest supertele on the planet…..literally. Don't believe it? Look at the MTF chart. In fact, look at the chart for the new 400 2.8 FL Nikkor too. And get ready for Nikon's upcoming 500 and 600 f4's.

Canon photographers are no longer going to be able to say that they have the sharpest super telephotos. And I am loving it!

Dec 25, 2014 at 08:00 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Switching from Canon

K mueller wrote:
"Nikon has the sensors, Canon has the glass... Doesn't everyone say invest in "Good" glass? to the Proper Forum"

Dear Mr. Mueller:

Regarding Canon long glass resolution: All that advantage is about to change. Oh yes it is.

Right now….the new 800 FL Nikkor is the sharpest supertele on the planet…..literally. Don't believe it? Look at the MTF chart. In fact, look at the chart for the new 400 2.8 FL Nikkor too. And get ready for Nikon's upcoming 500 and 600 f4's.

Canon photographers are no longer going to be able to say that they have the sharpest super
...Show more

Dec 25, 2014 at 08:21 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Switching from Canon

bs kite wrote:
1. c. a DX option with 16 mpx
d. with 36 mpx you can crop quite a bit to give you a lot more reach

2. Right now….the new 800 FL Nikkor is the sharpest supertele on the planet…..literally.

1. But....the D7100 gives you 24mp in "DX" mode. It has a 2x mode for even more cropping. Why buy a $3,000 D810 and then use it in crop mode to get less resolution than the $800 D7100?

2. Yes, but how much does it cost? That's the point I'm making-- with a great DX camera you're getting more pixels on your subject and you can use a massively less expensive lens to do it.

I'll agree that for some kinds of photography, my D800E is likely the best choice. This would include landscapes, and architecture using my tilt/shift lens. For other things, such as wildlife, the D7100 has some decided advantages. I'd wait for the D7200 if I were wanting a Nikon camera for wildlife.

Kent in SD

Dec 25, 2014 at 08:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.