New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

Given some reviews and preferences some have, I decided to pull my Spyder4 and try the x-rite i1 Pro.

I reviewed the advanced mode training video.
After profiling, I viewed recent images I had printed by AdoramaPix. They all appear modestly too dark on my Dell U2410 compared to my prints. With the Spyder it seemed fairly straight forward to adjust my monitor's brightness to adjust for my ambient light.

On display settings I chose the Dell U2140, Wide Gamut CCFL
White point D65
Luminence 120
Contrast native (is 50 on my monitor settings)
Flare correct enabled
Ambient light smart control enabled

If I take an ambient light measurement, I get 80.

The x-rite measured the ambient light, then after placing it on the monitor surface, had me adjust the monitor's brightness setting. My typical monitor brightness setting in my moderately low light environment was about 55 with the Spyder. With the x-rite it is about 35-40. Seems to dark.

I loved the way the Spyder accounted for ambient light so my prints had the same brightness as I saw on the screen. I assume I am doing something wrong. I appreciate your advice.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:01 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

I'd suggest profiling w/ the following:

Luminance: 90
Contrast: 300:1 (or 250:1) or however they let you specify it (often 0.3-0.4 black)
Ambient smart control: off

The monitor values are somewhat meaningless 0-100 type numbers and dont relate to any realworld measurement system.

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:20 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

thanks howard. I'll try that.

The monitor brightness setting values are meaningless (ie: unit-less) but I can manually adjust them from 1-100 is independent of the calibration system, but I am arriving at significantly different levels between the two calibrations and not sure how to reconcile this so my prints have the proper brightness. This was fairly close with spyder although I think it ran a tad dark.

David

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

read this:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml

as long as the ambient lighting is close/reasonable, it's not that important. But do turn off any monitor 'dynamic lighting compensation' nonsense. That just creates a moving target.

Do a number (say, 3-4-5) calibrations of the monitor w/ varying luminance levels set (80,90,100,110,120) and compare the screen image to the print and determine which is closest to the print when the print is viewed under your desired conditions.
It'd be a 'good thing' to print out a known test image like the outback image.

Most monitors that are set 'correctly' for print matching/softproofing are kind of dim (luminance approx 100) and flat (lower contrast than 'normal') and quite different from what you'd set it for if you were only looking at a display.

You may find that the D65 white point is too high also. A lot of us use 5500-ish but again, it's all based on the idea that the monitor needs to be set to whatever it takes to reflect the way the print is illuminated.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

Has anyone experienced calibration issues after upgrading to Yosemite on their Mac? I last calibrated with i1 in November, then installed Yosemite about two weeks ago. Last night, I thought I'd take a few minutes and update my calibration profile. Wow, it was completely different (much brighter) than the November version.

I don't have prints to compare against, but this new profile looks terrible to me. I tried it three times with similar results. After spending two weeks editing images from a recent trip, I'm hoping I didn't edit everything wrong because of calibration issues.

My wife's computer hasn't had Yosemite installed yet, so I will try calibrating her monitor to see how things look. I'm using a Dell U2410, and hers is a Dell 2412M (I think), so hopefully they're close enough.

I recall recently someone noting a difference between v2 and v4 in the software but have no idea what that means. Maybe I'll have to do some searching and reading. By the way, I'm using wide gamut CCFL, D65, 100 luminance, native contrast, and no flare correction or ambient smart control.

Jan 06, 2015 at 10:41 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

if you have a pre-Yosemite backup did you try restoring the prior calibration? Did you verify via ColorSync that the new calibration is active? Did you check the setting of the LCD brightness slider in Sys Prefs -> Display ?

Jan 07, 2015 at 08:14 AM
rrwingnut
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

TAG

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:30 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · x-rite i1 Display Pro monitor brightness settings

howardm4 wrote:
I'd suggest profiling w/ the following:

Luminance: 90
Contrast: 300:1 (or 250:1) or however they let you specify it (often 0.3-0.4 black)
Ambient smart control: off

The monitor values are somewhat meaningless 0-100 type numbers and dont relate to any realworld measurement system.

Personally, I'd never cripple my monitor by selecting a hideously low CR like 300:1 or 250:1.
I don't find that it makes a closer look to a print either. It just ruins the monitor and makes into junk;
Plus displays will soon be 5k+ and HDR and all the 250:1 and 300:1 processed pics will seem off.

Jan 08, 2015 at 07:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.