New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · dew heaters

Yukonica
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · dew heaters

Anyone out there have direct experience with dew-heaters for time-lapse work at night (or daylight for all that it matters). Manufacture/model/durability and such.
I want to be able to leave a camera set-up for as long as the battery holds without the lens frosting over.
And; will a second heater strip affect the sensor if I wrap the camera body?
Thx.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · dew heaters

I use a thousand oaks brand dew controller and strap for overnight astro. It works very well paired with a cheap jump start battery and 12v splitter.
I was out for the geminid meteor shower for several hours. Temp was about 29 degrees. Everything I had was frosted over including my coat, sleeping bag, pack. My lens was nice and clear the whole time. Buy a spare strap just in case. One strap died on me, don't know why. I have used it many other times in conditions where people were pulling out hair driers or having to pack up from the dew clouding the front element.
Tried the sock warmer thing a few years back. It barely works for short periods of time when dew is truly an issue. Lots of fiddling around, feeling the packs, replacing then, etc. For cold weather or time lapse it would be frustrating and disappointing IMO.
Astro imagers (the telescope people) actually go to great lengths to keep the sensor as cool as possible to reduce noise. Some have active cooling units. There is no IQ benefit to wrapping the camera body and advise against it unless for other clear reasons. If battery power is an issue, use an external power source.

David

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Yukonica
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · dew heaters

Thanks dgdg.
I've done the sock and heater to the same experience as you... not much fun.
My choice seems to have narrowed to Kendrick or Dew-not. The free fall of Canadian dollar is making Kendrick appealing but I think Dew-not may be the better product

Dec 26, 2014 at 02:52 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · dew heaters

I can't say which may be better. I picked the thousand oaks as my local NASA astronomy club uses them on the club scope year round and does well with them. I certainly think the thousand oaks will get the job done for you. If you plug the controller into your car, it will turn off once the car battery voltage starts to drop.

If the Canadian dollar is going down, may be time to head up for lobster season in Nova Scotia. Can't get enough of them lobster rolls! You're on the other side, but maybe they have something there too.

David

Dec 26, 2014 at 03:19 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · dew heaters

I see you have the ioptron skytracker. Its a great all in one solution (wedge, scope, tracker) for wide field work.
I have the astrotrac but it takes longer to setup.

David

Dec 26, 2014 at 03:35 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · dew heaters

Consider the Zap-On dew heaters too. They run on a 9V battery, and depending on the size, I think a 9V battery will last most of the night. Seems like a more convenient option than dragging around 12V batteries and dew controllers.
http://www.tech2000astronomy.com/zap/

Mark

Dec 26, 2014 at 08:02 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · dew heaters

i just bought a dew-not strap, need to make a cable up so I can power it etc so no experience with it, looks well made.

Dec 26, 2014 at 08:33 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · dew heaters

msalvetti wrote:
Consider the Zap-On dew heaters too. They run on a 9V battery, and depending on the size, I think a 9V battery will last most of the night. Seems like a more convenient option than dragging around 12V batteries and dew controllers.
http://www.tech2000astronomy.com/zap/

Mark

9V battery certainly sounds convenient! Of course, I don't drag my car jump start battery, I put it in my car!
There is no controller circuit, so it seems a bit confusing. Guess it's better than a ski sock with heater packs stuffed in it. I also use the jump start battery to power my astrotrac instead of AA batteries.

Are you sure how long they last in something like 32F? Have you actually used one in very cold or humid conditions?

David

Edited on Dec 26, 2014 at 09:36 PM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2014 at 09:25 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · dew heaters

RobDickinson wrote:
i just bought a dew-not strap, need to make a cable up so I can power it etc so no experience with it, looks well made.

Rob, I think you would probably want to buy the controller for it? The controllers are pretty small and light given all the extra junk we carry with us.
http://www.dew-not.com/dnc02.htm

David

Dec 26, 2014 at 09:33 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · dew heaters

Controller is only worth it if you want to run it at lower than full power and/or have battery limits.

I should be ok to power it for long enough without, most astrophotographers I know dont bother with them. Probably worth it for astronomy

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:00 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · dew heaters

dgdg wrote:
9V battery certainly sounds convenient! Of course, I don't drag my car jump start battery, I put it in my car!
There is no controller circuit, so it seems a bit confusing. Guess it's better than a ski sock with heater packs stuffed in it. I also use the jump start battery to power my astrotrac instead of AA batteries.

Are you sure how long they last in something like 32F? Have you actually used one in very cold or humid conditions?

David

Sorry David, I've never used them. Just read about them recently on Cloudy Nights:
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/484760-anybody-tried-zap-on-dew-heater-yet/?hl=%2Bzap+%2Bon#entry6345235

I would think that they are more likely to work well on a camera lens than an 11-inch SCT. Hard to imagine they put out enough heat for very long if you have a large aperture.

Mark

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · dew heaters

RobDickinson wrote:
Controller is only worth it if you want to run it at lower than full power and/or have battery limits.

I should be ok to power it for long enough without, most astrophotographers I know dont bother with them. Probably worth it for astronomy

My thousand oaks strap can get really hot at full power. Even in 32F weather I typically leave it at 75% and it is certainly warm to touch. The other straps may be different or full power is not an issue.

thanks Mark.

David

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · dew heaters

depends how much heating element etc I guess

Dec 27, 2014 at 01:14 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.