Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Any way to fix this in post?

cwes
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any way to fix this in post?

The dreaded banding the D750 does in a very rare occasion, think theres a way to fix it in post? this was just a test shot. But wondering if I got a keeper and it had this in it, would there be a way to fix it other than cropping?

test by agelessphotog, on Flickr

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:28 PM
cwes
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any way to fix this in post?

Not sure if trying to remove the flare, or adding to the top would be easiest?

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:37 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any way to fix this in post?

What aspect of the image are you wanting to change? There appears to be significant motion artifact in a somewhat oof image, and those would be hard to fix.

John Caldwell

Dec 23, 2014 at 06:41 AM
cwes
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any way to fix this in post?

The flare, see how it's cut off at the top? I realize the image is crap, but I wanted to see if there was a way to fix the flare. It's a defect, the banding in the flare.

Dec 23, 2014 at 09:57 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any way to fix this in post?

Hi cwes

As background (if you did not know) there apparent source of the is that flare is not uniformly coming to the sensor due to the manufacturing positioning of the autofocus sensor module: http://petapixel.com/2014/12/22/nikon-d750-owners-reporting-dark-band-problem-shows-lens-flares/

So if you don't want to have the flare issue then use a lens hood and likely the vast majority of the issues will go away.

A fix depends on what you want.

If you want uniform flare then you would need to add the flare back in at the top of the image. Since flare if added light there are a variety of ways of doing so

If you want a permanent fix then just maybe Nikon will have a warranty fix for this in the future.

Or get your new camera replaced and take your chances you get one without the problem.

That's my best guess based on the article

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any way to fix this in post?

cwes wrote:
The flare, see how it's cut off at the top? I realize the image is crap, but I wanted to see if there was a way to fix the flare. It's a defect, the banding in the flare.

Are you sure that ins't just a shadow from the door frame, possibly from reflected light from your flash?

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any way to fix this in post?

+1 @ bit Dan ... also wondering about the other ambient source lighting being gobo'd / blocked some how (i.e. window light) other than the flash. Notice the lower 1/3 of the door has a slightly diagonal version of the same (much less prominent). Also, there is a double shadow left of the speaker (assuming two windows ). The ambient lighting (note window level in other room) level makes me wonder about the relationship of falloff coming from the windows.

Reshoot, turn camera 90 (or 180) degree portrait orientation. Internal camera induced issues will follow the rotation. Non-camera axis lighting will not.

I'd do more testing to try & recreate the issue or deconstruct the cause of this one before I'd assume it was the camera. This one does "emulate" the problem, but it could be other factors involved why you have the "banding".

Also, it kind of reminds me of a shutter speed / sync speed issue, it can cause a similar effect, but where the ambient is sufficient exposure, it wouldn't be as prominent. The door is in the other room, so it is farther from your light source (i.e. window). The left door frame doesn't seem to exhibit it like the door itself does, but it is in the same room as the windows.

Taking a closer look at it, it looks like I can see the form or you shooting in the reflection of the door, with the flash going off at the top. The balance between the shadow behind the speaker and the non-shadowed area suggests that ambient and flash levels were pretty close. Also, if that is your form (see space between legs), then the ambient light is sufficient to create a slight back lighting ... just another point at how much ambient influence you have @ multiple light sources. Note also, the lower left corner of the door and the multiple diff shadows being cast onto the floor.

Curious at shooting / flash position and exif data?

Took a rough stab at it, mostly a combination of levels/masks, dodge/burn and heal brush with blur/feather. Could be better, but you get the gist @ feasibility.

HTH

Dec 23, 2014 at 03:06 PM
cwes
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any way to fix this in post?

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ bit Dan ... also wondering about the other ambient source lighting being gobo'd / blocked some how (i.e. window light) other than the flash. Notice the lower 1/3 of the door has a slightly diagonal version of the same (much less prominent). Also, there is a double shadow left of the speaker (assuming two windows ). The ambient lighting (note window level in other room) level makes me wonder about the relationship of falloff coming from the windows.

Reshoot, turn camera 90 (or 180) degree portrait orientation. Internal camera induced issues will follow the rotation. Non-camera axis
...Show more

Wow, looks good. And yeah guys, I was using a hood.

Dec 23, 2014 at 07:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any way to fix this in post?

Thanks.

Hopefully, Dan's good eye supports the prospect that your issue here isn't in the camera. I'd still do some testing to try and create the issue, though ... if I was still concerned about the possibility of it being a camera issue.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any way to fix this in post?

Quick and dirty: clone tool.
A little more involved: luminosity masks...and clone tool, levels adjustments

Way I'd probably do it: reshoot and try to recreate w/o flare, then composite flare free trouble area onto older image. Not really necessary for this shot, but if you had shot something that can't be redone, like a family portrait where everyone has gone out of town or a job or something...might be an option in the future if this happens again.

Dec 25, 2014 at 01:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.