New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

soboyle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

Wanted to get feedback on other experiences with mounting canon glass on the Sony A7r. So far I've tried 3 different metabones IV adapters for my Canon EF 24-70 II, and the edges are terrible, just fall apart at all focal lengths, even at f/8. The Sony FE 24-70 is better than the Canon lens at this point.
Everything I've read online says that canon glass is excellent on this camera.
So what gives?
Try another metabones?

Dec 22, 2014 at 07:50 AM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

Try this: the best uniform plane from the chart is 28mm@f/8

http://slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/canon24-70f28l2/ff/tloader.htm
http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1494/cat/11

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:17 AM
soboyle
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

I've shot the 24-70 II on my 5D Mark 2 for over a year, so know how sharp the lens is, that's why I'm surprised at the results on the A7r. But 3 bad metabones adapters? Maybe try a fourth.

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:30 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

At what focal lengths do you see the issue? Most who have reported adapter issues report that it's most obvious at wide-to-UWA focal lengths, like 24mm and below.

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:33 AM
soboyle
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

Definitely at 24, but all focal lengths show bad corners and edges.
The Sony FE 24-70, which is known for less than great edge quality, is better than the canon at the edges at all focal lengths.

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

You should cross-post this thread to the Sony forum. You can edit the original post and select the cross-post option near the bottom of the edit page.

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:01 AM
soboyle
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

jcolwell - I don't see a way to cross post when editing the original post.

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:08 AM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

I had the same issue. Do you notice if infinity focus is off/shifted? I found that the register distance of the adapter I received was not correct which results in a sharp center but soft corners/edges for lenses with floating elements.

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:11 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

I don't have this issue with my Metabones III adapter and the older version of the 24-70/2.8 EF L lens. All my Canon lenses work well image-quality-wise with my adapter.

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

soboyle wrote:
jcolwell - I don't see a way to cross post when editing the original post.

Don't you see the "Post to additional board:" pull-down menu at the bottom of the edit screen?

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:28 AM
soboyle
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

whumber - so the thickness of the adapter was off? I should test with other lenses, but the 24-70 is my workhorse lens and I want it to work - the Sony FE 24-70 is not a stellar lens. There is little point in going to 36 megapixels with less than excellent lenses.

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:33 AM
soboyle
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

jcolwell - no, I don't have that option when I edit the post. Strange.

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:34 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

soboyle wrote:
jcolwell - no, I don't have that option when I edit the post. Strange.

You can only cross post if you have more than 500 posts.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

Some things to consider:

1) The sony 24-70 is corrected in camera (and it changes the raw I believe) for vignetting and barrel distortion. So you might be comparing apples to oranges. If I am wrong about raw change and its changed in software conversation you will get the same results.Use an adobe raw converter and turn off lens corrections to compare apples to apples.

2) Its possible that you are focusing different on canon vs sony. What setting are you using on both?

3) The 24-70 v2 is not as good as people make it out to be. It is a good lens but it is not a prime. This shows up more on 36mpx. Eg from photo zone.de 3531 at centre and 2613 at edges is a very wide gap at 24mm/f2.8. It also has 2.83% barrel distortion which will cause the edges to have distortion. Contrast this with the reference lens ts24, 3740, 2942 and 0.884 barrel, and you should expect to see some edge degradation. The important difference here is the ratio between them, the ts24 will likely get >4000 on both measures whereas the 24-70 will have the edges under 3000. And the degree of barrel distortion really matters too - the 17-40 has really high barrel distortion and this leads to its low performance on edges.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/773-canon2470f28mk2ff?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/603-canon24f35tse2?start=2

4) Where/how you focus really matters. If you are using the a7r, you must be using it for mpx. Otherwise stick with the 5diii because its better in almost every dimension except dynamic range under iso800 and mpx. I use manual focus, zoomed in with peaking. To compare you have to focus on the same spot with zoomed in manual focus.

5) None of the metrics related to 70-200 that you have read likely talk about field curvature. Some lens focus forward (focus centre and curved forward), some backward (focus centre and curved back). You have to understand your lens to gain maximum focus. This will show up more at 36mpx. So even if you focus on the same spot, you might conclude that one is sharper than the other when its not necessarily true. Maybe the left and right are close in on sony lens and it focusses back.

6) The other issue with lens is that, they are focussed wide open and then closed down as the picture is taking. Some lens change their focus distance as they are closed down (focus breathing). I don't think this is an issue with the 24-70 but who knows if the a7r misfocusses and then the sony 24-70 is focused differently, it might correct for a misfocus.

7) My own experience, with my 17-40 when I compared it to my zeiss 25/2, 24-70v1, 24-105, sony 24-70, Ts24 was that it was by far the worst lens in my collection. I think my 17-40 was decentered and I did not notice when I used it on my 5diii way many years ago. The point is that you might also be finding something wrong with your 24-70 or the tolerances on your 24-70 are canceling with your body that you had before.

8) its also possible that your a7r mount is misaligned and this is causing problems.

Why don't you borrow a ts24 and manually some focus point on a7r/metabones and 5diii and compare to find out if its your metabones. Pick a scene where the left and right side of the image is the same distance as the centre (eg. far away mountain range with trees for contrast).

[Or maybe you just need to try a 4rd metabones because everyone else is bringing them back and all that are left are decentred.]

Edited on Dec 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:41 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

Bingo!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

Scott Stoness wrote:
You can only cross post if you have more than 500 posts.

Bingo!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM
gavin_emmons
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

My experience mirrors that of retrofocus: I have the Metabones III adapter and have had no issues with center or corner softness using my A7r with Canon lenses (including the 24mm TS-E II, the 50mm f/2.5 macro, and the 90mm TS-E)... All lenses are consistently sharp throughout the frame.

I got my III adapter on the B/S board and asked ahead of time about IQ consistency to make sure I was getting a good copy. Perhaps that could be an option going forward.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

gavin_emmons wrote:
My experience mirrors that of retrofocus: I have the Metabones III adapter and have had no issues with center or corner softness using my A7r with Canon lenses (including the 24mm TS-E II, the 50mm f/2.5 macro, and the 90mm TS-E)... All lenses are consistently sharp throughout the frame.

I got my III adapter on the B/S board and asked ahead of time about IQ consistency to make sure I was getting a good copy. Perhaps that could be an option going forward.

I got my MB III adapter brand new from B&H together with my A7R - no issues. So far I consider myself lucky even with cheap brass metal adapters which I bought online - all my first order copies work great (and I am using 4 different mount adapters of those including for M mount lenses).

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

gavin_emmons wrote:

+1, all my canon lenses perform well (and better than my canon bodies) on A7R with MBIII.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM
robert614
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 3 different metabones on A7r and still soft edges

I also have a Metabones III with no issues.Perhaps there's something wrong with the version IV design or firmware.

Good luck finding a solution.

Regards,

Robert

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.