FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · To use IS or not to use IS

Dutch937
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To use IS or not to use IS

So, i was out shooting Snowy Owls today and i'm not really happy with the results...I am using a 1D Mark iv, 300mm 2.8 IS version ii and 1.4x Extender version iii.
I was using a tripod most of the day, with the exception of some IF shots. Shutter speeds were between 2500 and 3200 and most at around f7.1, 1000ISO or less. So good lighting conditions.
I guess what i'm curious to find out is how many of you use your Image stabilization and when/how you use it?

Dec 21, 2014 at 04:59 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To use IS or not to use IS

Take it off the tripod, hand hold use center spot and IS, that should fix it.
At least that's what I would do.

_Tim

Dec 21, 2014 at 06:21 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To use IS or not to use IS

tfoltz wrote:

_Tim

+1

Tim

Dec 21, 2014 at 07:37 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To use IS or not to use IS

tfoltz wrote:

_Tim

Yes, I almost always use IS hand held, but the reason for the tripod is for the static shots, especially with a heavy lens. Are most people turning off the IS when it's on the tripod? Is the IS really needed once you get over 1/2000 of a sec?

Dec 21, 2014 at 08:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To use IS or not to use IS

Your 300 manual appears to indicate that it does not matter if it is on or off when on a tripod.

Since you have not posted any examples, it is hard for others to see what your problem might be. It probably has nothing to do with IS.

Dec 21, 2014 at 08:30 PM
Michael Rucci
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To use IS or not to use IS

That combo should make your shots sing Dutch.As Tony says hard to determine if you don't post

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:58 AM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · To use IS or not to use IS

Michael Rucci wrote:
That combo should make your shots sing Dutch.As Tony says hard to determine if you don't post

Sorry, I didn't have a membership to allow me to upload... Now i do.
These are out of the camera shots, no post. These were shot on tripod with good light.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · To use IS or not to use IS

Dutch937 wrote:
Sorry, I didn't have a membership to allow me to upload... Now i do.
These are out of the camera shots, no post. These were shot on tripod with good light.

EXIF didn't show up...Photo #1 - ISO 1250, 1/3200, 7.1, 420mm (300mm 2.8 IS version ii w/ 1.4x version iii), Photo #2 - ISO 500, 1/3200, 7.1, 420mm (300mm 2.8 IS version ii w/ 1.4x version iii)
Both using 1D Mark iv, IS in mode 1.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · To use IS or not to use IS

#2 looks underexposed. If the light is the same in both shots, both have the same aperture and SS, but #1 has 1250 iso with a more accurate exposure than the second at iso 500. If you are comparing IQ w and w/o IS in the shots, it would be better if most of the settings were the same ? I use IS mode 1 on all of the time on my 500 F4 and 800 f5.6 whether they are on or off the tripod.

Dec 25, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · To use IS or not to use IS

Herb Houghton wrote:
#2 looks underexposed. If the light is the same in both shots, both have the same aperture and SS, but #1 has 1250 iso with a more accurate exposure than the second at iso 500. If you are comparing IQ w and w/o IS in the shots, it would be better if most of the settings were the same ? I use IS mode 1 on all of the time on my 500 F4 and 800 f5.6 whether they are on or off the tripod.

Herb, the second shot was back lit, thus the under exposed look. But, thanks for the comments. That's the info i'm looking for...just whether or not people are using IS and when they are using it. With the new lenses, the mode 3 is something that i don't have on my version 1 300mm.

Dec 25, 2014 at 09:27 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.