New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Displaying images - Digital Picture Frames

mhp_sd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Displaying images - Digital Picture Frames

Not sure where to post this - apologies if this is not the right place.

Over the years I have tried a number of digital picture frames from home-brewed to purchased. I've never been amazed, and eventually they all end up collecting dust.

I'm starting to have too many images (i.e. kids) to frame everything and am once again considering a way to show a digital slide show. One of the options I've encountered is the Big E Frame. Does anyone have any experience with these? There also appear to be some 4k monitors down to about 30" but I don't know about using them as just a digital frame.

I'm looking for a way to present 12x18 or similar (so 20-24" diagonal.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

Dec 21, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Displaying images - Digital Picture Frames

Years ago I stopped using Digital frames for I found that if worked on my image cropped and re-sized them to 1920x1080 slide show look great on the large screen HDTV I had mounted on my walls.

I may change to using 3840x2160 for 4K HDTV prices are coming down and when content become available I may buy one.

Dell now has a 24" 4k IPS Display 185DPI for a good price $530. However my display adapter can not handle the 3840x2160 and a new display adapter will cost and additional $300 to $800 bummer.

I still hoping some manufacturer will produce a high resolution 2560x1600 I do no want one of the monster low resolution 30"+ displays. One near 20" would be great.

Dec 21, 2014 at 04:06 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Displaying images - Digital Picture Frames

Thought I would post a follow up here. I bought my wife an 18" nixplay cloud frame for the holidays. She loves it. I did not compare it to the smaller, higher resolution nix play edge. The resolution is quite adequate. I don't think it would work for displaying photos in a competition, but for getting pictures off the computer and on to the wall it is the the best solution I have found. The ability to simply email a picture to the frames dedicated email address (provided by nix play) is really wonderful. It's worth checking out.
-M
PS I have no association with nix play except as a happy customer

Jan 01, 2015 at 11:37 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Displaying images - Digital Picture Frames

There was a kick start project out of China that was building a flat panel display with a nice wooden frame. Looked just like a photo hanging on the wall. Don't know if it had the ability to load a bunch of photos and cycle them through.

I'd love to have a digital display that did not look digital.

Jan 01, 2015 at 06:49 PM
thorn79

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Displaying images - Digital Picture Frames

This guy built a couple of them:

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/frame/

Jan 02, 2015 at 10:23 PM
lenasterlingg

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Displaying images - Digital Picture Frames

mhp_sd wrote:
Not sure where to post this - apologies if this is not the right place.

Over the years I have tried a number of digital picture frames from home-brewed to purchased. I've never been amazed, and eventually they all end up collecting dust.

I'm starting to have too many images (i.e. kids) to frame everything and am once again considering a way to show a digital slide show. One of the options I've encountered is the Big E Frame. Does anyone have any experience with these? There also appear to be some 4k monitors down to about 30" but I don't know
...Show more

Hi Mark,

I use a standard formula. Double mat with black core black under white core white mat board. The black border is 1/4". The whole mat is cut 6 inches larger than the photo size. For 12x18 picture frames then it would be 18x22. I generally leave 1/2 inch of white space around the photo to make the mounting process easier.

This way, for better or worse, my photos are relatively easy to pick out of a crowd because of their consistency. Let the photo do the talking - not the mat, etc.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.