Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

timn421

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

I'm trying to find recommendations for a camera that I can carry around on a daily basis that can basically be used for street photography.

I would like to find something that is small, has wifi, fast startup, and zooms available (not a fixed lens).

I've been looking at these two cameras as they seem small and discreet. It would be great if the camera could fit into a pocket, or have a small form factor.

Sometimes I photograph in sketchy areas around town and get paranoid about bringing a high end DSLR. So a camera that has good handling and quick to use would be a bonus.

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

Most street photography has classically been done with fixed lens camera's.

I'd consider one and open yourself up to a bunch of options like the amazing Ricoh GR or similar Nikon Coopix A (only $400 these days), or the every popular Fuji X100 line

Panasonic's LX100 also could be worth a look

GX7 with the 15mm or 20mm would also be nice choices

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

A Ricoh GR is going to be about the most discreet, vanilla-looking camera you can get in a compact body yet still capable of extremely high, APS DSLR image quality. It is quiet and very fast to use once you get used to it. But, no zoom nor built in finder (though an optical finder works good on it if desired) or WiFi.

The Fuji X100 might be mistaken for a Leica. Something to consider.

The LX100 is going to be large once the lens is out and the zoom apparently is slow to extend which will cause you to loose shots if you're trying to get the camera ready quickly.

GX7 with a Pancake lens might be a nice option.

If the concern over being in a sketchy area is very high, the GR would be the obvious answer I think. Rx100...I don't know. It might look too much like a luxury item and handling will not be that great (IQ will not be at GR level either). The GR is known for it's great control layout, handling and ergonomics. It really fits the hand perfectly given how small it is.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

I liked smaller RX100 a lot with the additional grip, but 1/30min shutter speed and slow start up was its negatives. It is not working now after 2 years and now gm1 replaced it as my small P&S camera. The body sizes are similar but the lenses stick from gm1 but I can change the lenses and use faster primes compared to any of the fixed lens compacts. GX7 has a similar sensor to GM1 and has sensor IS & evf but also it is bigger. GX7 has -4EV af which was very good at night. Both has silent shutter, but GM1 has a faster read out which is less motion affects w/ e-shutter but that causes lower dynamic range per some comparisons. GM1 comes with pancake 12-32 zoom, GX7 comes with 14-42mm zoom. Both are coat pocketable compared to Sony RX100 which can fit into pant pockets. There is also GM5 which is an update to GM1 has a similar body size with a small evf if you are looking for one. GX7 size is better with bigger zooms/primes. Panasonic bodies has fast af including LX100 that I used for couple days and sent it back due to soft edges at f5.6.

Other options are Nikon A and Ricoh GR as fixed lens compacts which are selling at a discounted price due to end of line/replacement coming... I have not used them as they are used by some street photographers w/ mf options but I see you are looking for a zoom.

Dec 21, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

The Panasonic GM1 with the pancake zoom is also on sale right now for just under $500 at B&H.

Serhan, have you ran into any issues with the relatively slow (F-sop wise) zoom on the GM1?

Dec 21, 2014 at 02:51 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

I use mostly primes with GM1, but I didn't see a problem except one photo where right side showed blurry. I don't know what it caused eg e-shutter or the IS (1/40sec at 32mm~64mm equiv, ISO 6400):

http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/157068161/original.jpg

I changed the lens and shot with Oly 25mm there was no issue but of course I lost his look...

When I compared it to Panny 12-35, 12-32 was not at that level but close. Here are other shots but with different cameras:

12-32mm on epl5 (epl5 is a good option also with sensor IS and optional evf)
http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/158177467/original.jpg

12-32mm on gx7 - 8 image pano
http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/157415460/original.jpg

I like Oly 25mm on gm1:
http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/157068173/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/157068164/original.jpg

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The Panasonic GM1 with the pancake zoom is also on sale right now for just under $500 at B&H.

Serhan, have you ran into any issues with the relatively slow (F-sop wise) zoom on the GM1?

Dec 21, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

Thanks. The first shot is hilarious.

I believe some of the international GM1 kits are sold with the nice Panasonic 20/1.7 (and or 15/1.7).

Dec 21, 2014 at 03:55 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

Thanks. You can find it 15/1.7 kits in ebay but they are not discounted much. B&H has a used gm1+12-32 for $395 last week and the lens alone was selling at that price last year until some shops started to break the kits and sell them separately.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Thanks. The first shot is hilarious.

I believe some of the international GM1 kits are sold with the nice Panasonic 20/1.7 (and or 15/1.7).

Dec 21, 2014 at 04:11 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

I have the RX100ii and GM1 and other cameras. I am not a street shooter but I wouldn't call the RX100 nimble by any means. I think you'd lose a lot of shots waiting for startup, power zooming, changing focus point, etc. the GM1 is a speed demon in comparison and the ability to select AF point by touchscreen is awesome and you won't get that on a Sony RX100 or A6000. I'm sure the LX100 has super fast AF but I see complaints about the power zoom lag and no touchscreen.

I'd go with a Panasonic GM or GX7 (great price now) or EM10. Look at what Thomas Leuthard does with an EM10. Or the GR and zone/snap focus feature - that series has a heritage of use with street shooters. The GR thread on FM has, I think, the best pics on FM alt forum (that or RX1 thread) so the camera can deliver amazing image quality.

Dec 21, 2014 at 05:02 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

Just spent some time in Thomas Leuthard's website. Nice work. He makes a good case for the EM10.

Dec 22, 2014 at 01:22 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

http://camerasize.com/compare/#555,472

Dec 22, 2014 at 01:47 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

I like the Pentax Q7 for street and candids.
IQ wise, its still a small sized sensor, but how often one needs superb resolution and large files for streets/candids, imo.

Small camera, interchangeable lenses, not expensive.
It has one thing that is often overlooked when comparing compacts.
An approx 45mm eq focal length at f1.8, which is like a fast normal in FOV and light gathering.
Most other compacts are only faster at the wider end of their zoom.

The other thing, is another intangible.
Its just feels less serious when using it and more fun (no seriousness "I am holding a big serious cam" mentality when using it)

With the Fisheye

20141214-IMGP2792-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

IMGP1840 by jenkwang, on Flickr

With the 01 prime.

IMGP1772 by jenkwang, on Flickr

IMGP2037 by jenkwang, on Flickr

IMGP00131307238.52,0 by jenkwang, on Flickr

With the 06 (70-200 eq f2.8)

IMGP1876 by jenkwang, on Flickr

IMGP9951 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Dec 25, 2014 at 06:20 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

Really nice results from the Q7!

Dec 25, 2014 at 09:41 PM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

I'd say the x100T or the Sony RX1/R.

Dec 25, 2014 at 09:47 PM
BbICEP

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

GX7 pros:
4×3 aspect ratio
Hig speed single shoot autofocus
Lowlight autofocus
Touch screen
Tiltable EVF, although eye level shooting is very questionable approach in street photo (IMO it is questionable everywhere), both from aesthetics and unobtrusiveness points of view

Pros of RX100
This thing is small

Dec 26, 2014 at 03:53 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

The GX7 is a good fit. There was just an eBay listing for a new GX7 from Robert's camera for $400. Of course they only seemed to have 2 and they sold out in 1.5 seconds or so, but good prices are going to come.

Dec 26, 2014 at 08:29 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

RX100 actually isn't a bad street tool, or a bad camera by any means.

Its not super quick to power on, just like the A7(x) aren't, but the easy work around is simply to leave it on when your expecting to take a shot. Works just fine in that regard.

Its got pretty quick AF, and its also very easy to assign a custom function to toggle AF/MF. I have mine set to the center button on the control dial. When I want to shoot hyperfocal, which works great due to the deep DoF of the 1" sensor and the lens on the wider end (I enjoy 28mm equiv for street) I simply focus on something about 1-2 meters away, then hit the button to switch to the camera to MF mode. Then its pretty instant response on the shutter with no real lag I can tell.

20meg sensor with a f1.8 lens (on the wide end) gives surprisingly good IQ for something so small as well, even a little subject isolate is possible. About on par with a m4/3 camera with a kit zoom.

Does have the option to zoom in more if you want/need it, and can shoot at a pretty high FPS with fixed focus, does pretty good video (my main video shooting camera in fact) too.

Also you can pick one up quite cheap these days, around $350 new I think, likely much less used, so in the event it gets lost, stolen etc your not out much.

People have done some pretty impressive work with far less P&S camera's, and when you consider your getting a 20meg camera with decent sized 1" sensor that can fit into any pockets, its a pretty nice overall package.

I have owned (several times over) the GR as well and its also nice, but I think the RX100 gives it a run for its money.

The RX100 focuses faster, and much better in low light
Its got a smaller sensor, but faster lens (on the wide end) and the overall IQ isn't too far apart. The RX100 had the ability to zoom in as well, which sometimes can come in handy.

All in all just a really good camera for the money. Mine is always with me on any trips, if for nothing else a backup camera that takes less room than a DSLR battery.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:01 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Panasonic GX7 vs RX100III or something else for street photography

timn421 wrote:
I'm trying to find recommendations for a camera that I can carry around on a daily basis that can basically be used for street photography.

I would like to find something that is small, has wifi, fast startup, and zooms available (not a fixed lens).

I've been looking at these two cameras as they seem small and discreet. It would be great if the camera could fit into a pocket, or have a small form factor.

Sometimes I photograph in sketchy areas around town and get paranoid about bringing a high end DSLR. So a camera that has good handling and quick to
...Show more

I think the OP probably meant the Canon G7X not the GX7.

Dec 27, 2014 at 08:49 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.