New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

desong
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

No I didn't, that's a big difference!

Dec 21, 2014 at 07:45 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

desong wrote:
Maths is not my strongest suit, I'll admit.

I can't work out why I can only get 514 files (according to the top panel) of 12 bit lossless compressed RAW from a 32GB card. Surely if the file is 33MB each, I should be able to store 969 (or thereabout)?? What am I missing?

BTW, I'm referring to a D810, and yes the card has been formatted (in-camera) to get the 514 reading.

Thanks for your wisdom!

There must be some spacing added between images or the card would show one huge image of 32 GB if you filled it up.
After you fill one of these cards, post another post with the amount of images and their total capacity of the card was filled.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

Nikon is notorious for EXTREMELY conservative "shots remaining" estimates on that top LCD. It's often more like 50%+ greater than the number you see. Better to be conservative than the other way in this instance, for sure. File size can vary significantly as well (sometimes as much as +/- 10 MB with the higher MP cameras), based on the amount and type of information captured, so it's not as simple as taking a single shot, looking at it's size, and dividing the memory card size by that number.

I remember my old D300 used to show 197 shots remaining with a fresh 4GB card, and I would always get well over 300 shots. When the card was nearly full, it would also say "1 shot remaining" for at least 3-5 more shots before being completely full. It's just a conservative approximation, don't read into it too much.

Lastly, I would shoot in 14bit lossless compressed RAW, forget 12bit, the average difference in file size is only about 10MB per shot. Memory cards and hard drive space cost next to nothing these days, you might as well be getting the most out of your new D810!

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:58 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

I think this was a good question. It does seem like a huge discrepancy. Using the example below, 29gb \ 600 would be 53mb photos for a 24mp sensor. To me that is extremely conservative. Unless my math is wrong.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the displayed value. Both my D7100 and D600 will display ~590-600 on a formatted 32gb card. I recently filled one with my D7100. The photos were Lossless Compressed 14 bit and ranged in size from 26mb to 34mb. Folder size was 29.4gb for 1044 photos. It has been my experience that the D600 is about the same, I just figure I can get ~1000 photos @ ~30mb for what I normally shoot.

Edited on Dec 22, 2014 at 01:07 PM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

in technical terms 1KB=1024bytes. but in the world of advertising 1KB is only 1000bytes.
first loss from that 32GB term. in the real world its less. and it shaves a bit too.

what is a 32GB cards actual size value when its formatted fat32?
there's your next loss from that value in overhead.

so in reality you start off with your 32GB card that is actually ~29.7GB in usable space.

Dec 22, 2014 at 01:00 PM
SAng
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

Also, just a thought - have you checked the actual capacity of the card in your computer? If you were unlucky to end up with a counterfeit card, it might not actually be 32 GB.

Dec 22, 2014 at 02:15 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

Random sample from one field trip. Files ranged from 40,500,000 to over 51,000,000 (approx.), Given this range. how does one extrapolate? Nikon figures large files when figuring. It iis far better to be told you have 100 pix left and actually have 150 than t be told you have 150 left and only get 100.

In a camera cub with over 50 members, nobody has ever complained about this. Just relax and take pictures.

Dec 22, 2014 at 03:00 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

I can't see using much more than 50-60% of my card capacity anyway. It's a "don't put all your eggs in one basket" mentality. Especially if I start shooting something good.

Dec 22, 2014 at 03:05 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

ckcarr wrote:
I can't see using much more than 50-60% of my card capacity anyway. It's a "don't put all your eggs in one basket" mentality. Especially if I start shooting something good.

Agree. I normally don't put more than 50% on a card. The example I gave above was the first time I had ever filled one before downloading it. I was out of town shooting birds during the day and attending functions with my wife in the evenings. Just didn't take time to download. The card, only fast one I had, did get corrupted somehow but I was able to recover the photos. Have since ordered another fast card.

Dec 22, 2014 at 03:33 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

DaveOls wrote:
There must be some spacing added between images or the card would show one huge image of 32 GB if you filled it up.
After you fill one of these cards, post another post with the amount of images and their total capacity of the card was filled.

That't not at all how file systems work. They do not add space between files to keep them from becoming one huge file.

Jim

Dec 22, 2014 at 07:33 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

To the OP, you sure seem to have gotten stressed over nothing. Just go out and shoot your camera. You have gotten plenty of good explanations, now just go shoot and enjoy your camera.

Jim

Dec 22, 2014 at 07:34 PM
newusaa
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

My guesses:

Right when you format a card space is lost so the drive can know where to put stuff, I'm sure a wiser member will be along shortly to correct my sorry explanation.

Nikon probably uses the highest possible size an image can be in their calculation

On top of those two, they probably still error on the safe side, which would be arguable as to whether this is wise or not IMO.

If all that is true I can see the number being up to 50 percent off.

I appreciate this thread. I've always assumed that number was pretty accurate so I've never really approached it.

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:54 PM
desong
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

JimFox wrote:
To the OP, you sure seem to have gotten stressed over nothing. Just go out and shoot your camera. You have gotten plenty of good explanations, now just go shoot and enjoy your camera.

Jim

Jim, I'm not stressed, just curious. I will be travelling extensively in the new year with the D810 and some of the time will be in remote locations for days and I'm trying to work out my memory needs. I'm beginning to understand how this estimate come about. But if I hadn't ask...

Dec 24, 2014 at 04:52 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

desong wrote:
Jim, I'm not stressed, just curious. I will be travelling extensively in the new year with the D810 and some of the time will be in remote locations for days and I'm trying to work out my memory needs. I'm beginning to understand how this estimate come about. But if I hadn't ask...

It looks like this is not your first DSLR, memory cards holding more photos than the initial estimate is nothing new. It's been happening since day 1, so it's a little odd you were so taken back by it.

As for shooting in remote locations, besides having enough memory cards and batteries it's a good idea to then have a small portable backup device so that you can back up your shots each night. It's good to have redundancy.

Jim

Dec 24, 2014 at 05:23 PM
desong
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Stupid question: number of RAW doesn't add up to card capacity

To be honest, I've never tried working it out, until now. I did title it 'stupid question' since I had an inkling that it could well be me that's a bit slow here.

With respect, I don't really need advise about how best to store or backup - I was merely curios as to why the numbers didn't add up. But thanks to others on this thread, I now have a better understanding.

Dec 24, 2014 at 05:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.