Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

rdalrt
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

graham_martin wrote:
Did you have any difficulty getting the school to agree to the use of strobes? Also, how did you make sure that the light stands remain safe from people knocking them over? In the school gymnasiums that I shoot in the benches in the stands are very close to each other and I don't think I would feel comfortable setting up light stands in those locations. On the other hand placing the light stands on the floor near the court would, it seems to me, create a safety hazard in the event a player runs into one of them.

Never had anybody not allow me to use strobes.

As for mounting them, I make sure to mount them in places where they won't be knocked over by players or a stray ball. Some gyms have a balcony where I can mount a couple. Other places have some bracketry some where I can just a super clamp (and safety cable) to mount the strobe so there is no stand to knock over.

Dec 27, 2014 at 03:27 PM
karrphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

You need to look up your states Athletic Association rules. In Indiana there is a 2 page document specifically for strobing sports and what can and can't be done (like no strobing Diving, but pretty much everything else is OK, but hell will freeze over before any of the Volleyball officials will let you strobe even though it's allowed by the state rules.)

I've run into 3 instances where someone has approached me:

- A new Athletic Director who after talking to the other AD's present at the tournament allowed continued use.
- A Referee caught me testing my lights before a varsity basketball game (during the JV game) ran over to the table and had the announcement made that no flash photography was allowed. I've since talked to the head of the county referee's association who is sending a note out basically saying if a coach doesn't complain, why are you? My lights are always directed straight out and not directly at the court.
- An AD at a recent tournament (after shooting 1 game already, but I set an additional 3 lights up for 7 total) had an issue with the light down court pointed back at the players. I turned that light off and continued to use the 6 I had up with no problems.

That's it, in 4 years of shooting with flash, my only complaints. I've asked players, coaches and officials after the games what they thought about the flash and their answer, "What flash?" I've also had a coach tell me, "If my players are distracted by your flash they have bigger issues and shouldn't be on the court."

Since I don't bounce lights I do get some shadows but I've never had any complaints. It's sure as hell a lot better than the crap light in 95% of the gyms where they either cycle or you can't get a good skin tone even with a grey card to save your life. My typical setup is 2 lights as far back from the baseline as I can get pointed at the basket, with 2 lights at the free throw line (or as close as I can get to it) shooting parallel to the line. The baseline lights are typically zoomed at 70mm and the freethrow at 50mm. Depending on the gym (my test shot is 1/250 @ 3.2, ISO 320) I either shoot 1/8 or 1/8 + 2/3 (which with a lithium power pack attached will continue to shoot until I stop but I never shoot more than 2-3 frames at a time) or 1/4 power. I've never had to go higher.

Dec 29, 2014 at 03:39 AM
pat.kane
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

karrphoto, these shots look great. I've never had any complaints from the players, but I do have one AD who won't let me set up either off-camera flash or strobes at his high school. Fortunately, that gym's lights don't flicker and the quantity is pretty decent (1/640-sec, ISO 6,400 at f/2.8).

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM
chaddoyon
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

karrphoto wrote:
You need to look up your states Athletic Association rules. In Indiana there is a 2 page document specifically for strobing sports and what can and can't be done (like no strobing Diving, but pretty much everything else is OK, but hell will freeze over before any of the Volleyball officials will let you strobe even though it's allowed by the state rules.)

I've run into 3 instances where someone has approached me:

- A new Athletic Director who after talking to the other AD's present at the tournament allowed continued use.
- A Referee caught me testing my lights before a varsity
...Show more

I'm not sure that I'm understanding how you have your lights setup. You say that they are not directed at the court but you are also not bouncing. So, if the lights aren't pointed at the ceiling, the walls, or the court, what exactly are they doing? I've tried to strobe once but my setup needs to be fine tuned. Thanks!

Dec 29, 2014 at 08:05 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

rdalrt wrote:
The gym in #7 is 1/250, f/4, iso 400. The other gym is the same with iso 800. Oh, and the einsteins are at 1/4 power in both.

I am a newcomer to all this, (hence this reaction) but those are AWESOME camera settings to be able to use, and great-looking images.

Just amazing what a little bit of added light (and that it's the flash duration that freezes the action and not the (low-ish) shutter speed), is able to add to an image via lower ISO and the greater DOF and sharpness of F4.

Many accolades to those who have the expertise, and take the time, to set up lights.

On the other hand, also many accolades to those who don't.

It'a ALL good.

Dec 29, 2014 at 08:22 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

chaddoyon wroteI'm not sure that I'm understanding how you have your lights setup. You say that they are not directed at the court but you are also not bouncing. So, if the lights aren't pointed at the ceiling, the walls, or the court, what exactly are they doing? I've tried to strobe once but my setup needs to be fine tuned. Thanks!

I am guessing he is using speedlites. They are aimed at the court but at hoop level. So, the light is not so direct but more feathered.

The shots are very nice, but I do see some ghosting in them. A drawback to using speedlites and not having enough power to completely overpower the ambient lighting.

Dec 29, 2014 at 08:55 PM
karrphoto

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

chaddoyon wrote:
I'm not sure that I'm understanding how you have your lights setup. You say that they are not directed at the court but you are also not bouncing. So, if the lights aren't pointed at the ceiling, the walls, or the court, what exactly are they doing? I've tried to strobe once but my setup needs to be fine tuned. Thanks!

They are either on the bleachers pointed straight out, not down at the court, or mounted to a railing and again pointed directly perpendicular to the floor. Basically I'm lighting with the falloff of the flash, I could point them down at the court but more chance that I could possibly get a response from a coach/player/etc.

On the right side you'll see what I mean, instead of rotating the flash pointing down more towards the court they shoot straight out parallel with the floor. And then the positions of my flashes. If I light down court, I only light the free throw line and typically double the power. So if the close strobes are at 1/8 the far court is at 1/4 due to the fact I'm losing the 2 baseline lights.

I aim for 1/250 @ 3.2, ISO 160 or 320 depending on how dark the gym is. I walk into a gym and set my camera to 1/250 @ 3.2 @ 320 and see how dark/light it is at that ISO. If it's dark, I'll typically use ISO 320. If it's bright, I'll drop it down to ISO 160 to give me a stop less of ambient light.

Typical Crap light cycling in gyms around here..

Lighting diagram with speedlights

Same Gym as above but on the lit side of the court. I would had liked my baseline flashes back more, but have to work with what they have.

Dec 30, 2014 at 02:29 PM
wiens51G

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

nice strobe photos

Dec 31, 2014 at 09:03 AM
wiens51G

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

nice strobe photos

Dec 31, 2014 at 09:03 AM
gordorad
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

Very nice examples of well done flash......

Someone had mentioned ghosting. Where? I could not see any of it....

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:52 AM
rdalrt
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

gordorad wrote:
Someone had mentioned ghosting. Where? I could not see any of it....

Ghosting usually shows up in the fastest moving objects. In basketball photos, usually the ball, hands and feet. Scroll back up to the first photos posted by karrphoto on this page. I can see a bit of ghosting in the ball in the first photo and and ball, hands/feet in the third photo. Though it is not too bad.

Jan 02, 2015 at 09:27 AM
gordorad
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · HS Girls Bball (Strobed)

After looking closely, I now see it. But barely noticeable!

Jan 02, 2015 at 05:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.