Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Reflections on my year.....

Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflections on my year.....

I love photography. This forum is a great place to share images and discuss the thing we love to do. If there is one negative to it, I would have to say we sometimes perpetuate GAS. It is very hard to resist new gear sometimes when you see all the beautiful photos shown here with the latest and greatest because we all know it is the gear that makes the photos

My number 1 thing I learned as an individual this year is that my roots in photography are still to document my travels. I recently made a trip to Banff without my family to hit all the hot spots. As I was out there, I couldn't help but feeling empty. I got some nice photos that I wouldn't have been able to get with my family, but it was by far the most trivial, meaningless trip I have ever been on. I now know that I will never go on a Photo holiday with the intent purely of taking photos. I will stick with my roots and document my travels with my family by taking nice photos.

The second thing I learned is that I had to get organized and start sorting through my photos so they just didn't end up as a mass of 1's and 0's on my hard drives. Lightroom helped immensely with this task & smart collections. I am now about half way done sorting through all my favourite photos I have ever taken which are sorted into years and countless other trips. Its a start.

The third thing I learned is that I love seeing old photos and maybe even to a greater extent, old videos of my kids. What a keepsake. Back up those files locally in a raid array and also on the cloud. You won't regret spending the money. A cool way to back up your photos is to use the website exposure.co. I love this for my travels & other things. You wouldn't believe how many times I just open up my ipad and flip through the photos I have on my exposure page. You can see what it is like here. Exposure Link

The last thing I learned is to just print my photos. I do all my printing on metal now through bayphoto and the quality is fantastic. I recently had a Landscape photography show and it went over really well. It is tough to put out the money and dollars to print, but it really is satisfying to hang a favourite print on the wall.

So anyways, just thought I'd share some of the things I learned. It was a busy year photography wise for me and I'm looking forward to next year. Travel safe and have a Merry Christmas!

Dec 20, 2014 at 08:55 AM
low325
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflections on my year.....

THanks for sharing Corey. You do bring up my bad habits as well. Now that i have kids travels to nice spots and to photograph them have dropped down on the list of 'must do's' and trips have now become purely a shot that my kids and wife are somewhere documented that they've been. Sometimes I leave te spot thinking to myself 'damn I missed it' but I'm learning to let go and be happy that the files in my card are of my kids being silly or making crying faces that we'll be able to make fun of for years to come.

Big issue for me too are all these damn photos. I've got 20TB of raided space but my organization of them are left in renamed directories. Not real cataloging in LR that I use. Sigh. Someone recently told me to get more video of the kids and so I went out and bought a HD camcorder so now that will
Add to the list of archives. Sigh. I'll have to check out that link you provided. Thanks for sharing

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.