New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 100-400 II: A funny thing happened on my way to the forum

jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 100-400 II: A funny thing happened on my way to the forum

So first day of no rain in a while (and, from the forecast for a while to come), and I head out to try out the new 100-400 II in real world conditions. Not just the lens, but telephoto wildlife in general will also be a new area of photography for me.

Over the last few rainy days, I had already picked out a lake near my house where trumpeter swans come in at evening to roost and/or play bingo or do whatever they do when they are honking so loudly. I had noted the time they arrive, the direction they flew, etc. etc.

I had my rig set up with not just the 100-400 II, but speedlight + beamer on wimberley bracket, on tripod. Camera settings at the ready: flash EV at -1, camera on manual metered for background, AF AI servo, multi-shot drive, ISO bumped up 800.

Made my way to the spot carefully and set up and look around. And see this:

http://i.imgur.com/dRxV4dG.jpg

What a magnificent view! The landscaper in me could not help it. Focus goes back to manual, ISO back down to 100, flash goes over, single-shot drive etc. etc., and I start taking some great captures of the sunset over the lake. The trumpeters come it right on schedule, but I actually end up cursing at them for ruining quite a few of my HDR sequences.

At the end of the day (literally), some great landscapes, but a no keeper trumpeters. Or any in-focus well-exposed trumpeters at all. Or, in fact, not even any out-of-focus trumpeters that are bigger that little white specks in the distance: the swans had evidently got bored with waiting for me to take their photographs and had meandered over the (very) far side of the lake behind me.

Oh well, I guess it will be a while before I learn to visualize and take telephoto wildlife. In the mean time though, it is great that the 100-400 II is such a spectacular landscape lens as well!! Maybe not evident in the above, but in the main sequences I took I am seeing superb micro-contrast and pop in addition to the great resolution and contrast, all the way out to corners!

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 100-400 II: A funny thing happened on my way to the forum

There's always next time.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:34 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 100-400 II: A funny thing happened on my way to the forum

No wildlife here at all, a big buck deer in my yard knocking things down late at night. I do have chickens though.

It was raining and gray all day, so my lens just sat. I did manage a shot of my neighbors dog running in the far distance on Wednesday.

Its a bit blurred, I needed a higher shutter speed. The dog was running circles around galloping horses, he was moving!

http://www.mount-spokane-photography.com/Photography/Canon/Lenses/Canon-Lenses/Canon-100-400mmL-Mark-II/i-ckBjB7c/0/L/first%20test%20photos-7809-2-L.jpg

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:43 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 100-400 II: A funny thing happened on my way to the forum

Good thing that you weren't on assignment!

Nat Geo Editor: Lets see the pics on the Trumpeter Swan breeding grounds in Michigan.

You: Ummm.You know that there is a drought in California, right? Guess what! No drought in Michigan!

Maybe we could do a piece on the coming "Reverse Migration" when California runs out of water?

Cheers!

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 100-400 II: A funny thing happened on my way to the forum

Yes, and my only defense would be a spluttering, "But, but, but, look at that sunset pink! Just look at it!"

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.