Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Video question (rx1 or m240)

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Video question (rx1 or m240)

Quick video question. My basic impression is that these are both terrible choices, but they are all I have available (I have never made a video, of no interest to me, but need to do a one off one). The video will be short, probably something like 2 minutes and will be of an almost entirely static subject (product), which I may move but only slowly.

Can anyone help cut through the crap and tell me which one I would be better off using? Strictly video quality. Lens choice is not part of it.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2014 at 06:19 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Video question (rx1 or m240)

Neither are great for video, but if you don't do much video shooting, either should work fine. I'd probably go with the RX1 of the two.

I have a lifetime of home movies, many on VHS tape, and quite honestly, anything beats that level of quality these days.

I personally find my iPhone shoots quite nice footage for my needs

Dec 19, 2014 at 06:59 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Video question (rx1 or m240)

Have you used or tested both for video? Why is it you're saying the rx1 is best for video?

This isn't for personal use so my mobile wouldn't be appropriate.

Dec 20, 2014 at 05:08 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Video question (rx1 or m240)

I didn't directly compare the video quality on the M240 side by side, as it wasn't of much interest to me when I was evaluating the camera. What I saw didn't impress me much though, it seemed very limited in its options of frame rates et al., and just didn't seem to be well implemented into the camera, basically more of an afterthought.

The RX1 I've shot a fair bit of video with and its controls aren't bad, however, the overall quality just isn't as pleasing to my eye as even my little RX100 p&s. I don't know if its just the codec's or what.... just looks more compressed and with more artifcats and such....

The RX100 mk3 I've moved onto actually does some really nice video quality, at least to my unrefined eye. I believe its got the same codec's as Sony's high end video tools. Eats up card space fast though at those higher rates!

Of the two choices you have though, I'd certainly use the Rx1 over the Leica. I don't think there even should of been a video option on the M.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Video question (rx1 or m240)

Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and should just test this myself. I was hoping to save time, but probably best I just form my own opinion :o). I did test the RX1 but haven't run it through any software to know how it'll handle anything, and I've not shot any video with the m240. I am not interested in video at all, this is just a one off (it will be followed by a cold shower).

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Video question (rx1 or m240)

I'm a video novice but I've tried video on my rx1. I'd borrow a camera that does decent video, but if you use the RX1 use avchd not MP4, limit movement and don't use a background with patterns that will produce moire

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Video question (rx1 or m240)

darrellc wrote:
I'm a video novice but I've tried video on my rx1. I'd borrow a camera that does decent video, but if you use the RX1 use avchd not MP4, limit movement and don't use a background with patterns that will produce moire

Noted, thank you. The camera will be fixed in the video, movement will just be the subject (object), very slowly, so I'm hoping it'll be okay. I'm also picturing it outdoors so patterns hopefully won't be an issue, but I'll keep that in mind as well - thanks

Dec 20, 2014 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.