New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

People say they miss the 85L the most on the Canon side, and I did like the output from that lens a lot, but the 85 f/1.4g has several IQ advantages and the much faster focus speed makes a huge difference in tracking. I'm not seeing any of the purple fringing I would get at wide apertures with the 85L. It tracks really nicely (once it's properly AF fine tuned). It locks fast. The bokeh is still pretty good so far. It's lighter. It's just about as sharp.

So far, I'm liking the 85g just about as much as I liked the 85L.

35 f/1.4g also works very well for me on the D750. Pretty reliable, good tracking, etc. The D800 didn't make that lens out to be very reliable, but it's a different case on the D750. 35g bokeh is very different, nicer when used for close-up images but I still prefer 35L's bokeh on more distant subjects (the harder edges of the 35L's bokeh makes the effect stand out more than the 35g's smoother bokeh).

Personal opinion thus far of a Canon user with a D750 and a few Nikon lenses.

Dec 18, 2014 at 07:43 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

I thought you were getting a 58/1.4?

Dec 18, 2014 at 07:48 PM
Mohun

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

I certainly don't know the background of the OP's lens selection decision, but I remember that I hemmed and hawed (and it's difficult to haw without actually laughing) trying to decide to commit fully to the 58mm f/1.4G, but my dyslexia caused me to mistakenly purchase, instead, the 85mm f/1.4G.

Dec 18, 2014 at 08:04 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

hahahha evil laugh to the dark side. Nah I have heard their both good. Glad your enjoying your gear, some of that might be the quick focus of the D750 too. Glad your enjoying your gear though.

Pics?

Dec 18, 2014 at 08:05 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

I would like the 58 but 35 and 85 have been mainstays for me for years, so they were priority. No money for other equipment right now. Pics all being edited, may or may not post them. They aren't anything the 85L couldn't do except where the AF might not be fast/accurate enough to keep up.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

I think most people are talking about the 'look'. The 1.4G (and sigma) are more modern sharper lenses.

Dec 19, 2014 at 08:09 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

I have the 85/1.4D as well as the Sigma... when my Canon-toting buddies compare their photos with their 85 L-II, they almost always like my Nikon/Sigma lenses results/looks better. Add to that, they paid more for their L-II's than my AF-D or sigma lenses.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

I had the 85LII it's a nice lens but I rarely shot it wide open. I had the 85 1.4d and I liked it a bit more than the 85LII. The af of the Canon lens is dreadfully slow so I'd miss shots.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

form wrote:
People say they miss the 85L the most on the Canon side, and I did like the output from that lens a lot, but the 85 f/1.4g has several IQ advantages and the much faster focus speed makes a huge difference in tracking. I'm not seeing any of the purple fringing I would get at wide apertures with the 85L. It tracks really nicely (once it's properly AF fine tuned). It locks fast. The bokeh is still pretty good so far. It's lighter. It's just about as sharp.

So far, I'm liking the 85g just about as much as I liked
...Show more

This is exactly how I felt when I switched to Nikon a few years ago. The 85LII was my favorite Canon lens, so I was astounded when I found Nikon's better.

Another thing I'll add, coming from the lousy focusing 5D2, I got so many more keepers with Nikon's 85. Perhaps all the credit should go to Nikon's AF, but I think you have to give at least some of the credit to the lens as well.

I have no problem tracking fast paced dancing wide open (in the dark) with the 85 or the 58. Something that was nearly impossible when I shot Canon. But I hear the 5D3 is much improved. I hope that's true!

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

The Nikkor 85 1.4g's focus accuracy is fantastic. I never have to wonder whether I got the shot or not. I'm sure the Canon's Bokeh may be a tad creamier due to the aperture, but it's pretty hard to beat the Nikkor. In this image the focus locked on hand held in my dimly lit living room, in the bottom right hand corner (Rombauer).

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:16 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I have no problem tracking fast paced dancing wide open (in the dark) with the 85 or the 58. Something that was nearly impossible when I shot Canon. But I hear the 5D3 is much improved. I hope that's true!

My experience with my 5d3 has told me it is not better at this at all. If anything, it's much worse because of focus speed in one-shot plus flat-out failure to obtain a trackable target in light where my 5d2s will lock and track with at least some accuracy and a lot more speed.

Dec 20, 2014 at 02:59 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

OK here's one image sample my 85L wouldn't have locked focus fast enough to get (much less track):
http://www.joeyallenphoto.com/A&A-Preview-08.jpg

Dec 24, 2014 at 08:54 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

form, I'd say that they're different, more than one is better than the other- but I understand that for your usage the Nikon is likely a better fit.

Hopefully Sigma will bring something similar to the Nikon 85/1.4G soon .

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:19 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

form wrote:
OK here's one image sample my 85L wouldn't have locked focus fast enough to get (much less track):
http://www.joeyallenphoto.com/A&A-Preview-08.jpg

What body is this? Nice capture!

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

D750 as noted in the first post.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

form wrote:
My experience with my 5d3 has told me it is not better at this at all. If anything, it's much worse because of focus speed in one-shot plus flat-out failure to obtain a trackable target in light where my 5d2s will lock and track with at least some accuracy and a lot more speed.

Oh im so glad we don't have this over at the canon forum any more!! His is literally the only 5d3 which was worse than the 5d2! Lol! Anyway .. pay him no mind..

I think canon is missing a trick with 85mm. Both the L and 1.8 are fantastic lenses - and the 1.8 is much quicker to focus - but a good 85 1.4 is missing IMO.

Dec 26, 2014 at 03:11 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

So...you post to the thread I started (on the Nikon forum), bring up something I have said, express that it's funny (by going "Lol!") that someone could think a 5d3 could focus worse/slower than a 5d2 in low light (don't forget that detail of "in low light" which is an important part of my experience and opinion, and which point you omitted), no matter how many weddings they've shot with both cameras together and how much personal experience they have accumulated to base such an opinion on...

In other words, I experienced something you did not (or haven't admitted to) and other people have not (or haven't admitted to, to your knowledge), I shared my experience and related opinion on a public forum, and you are speaking for the community as a whole all disagreeing (since mine is the ONLY 5d3 that focuses worse in low light than my 5d2s, per your statement, therefore you must have seen all 5d3s and 5d2s and heard all opinions that exist thus far regarding them, and they ALL disagree with me), and you follow that by suggesting, about me, that other readers should "pay him no mind?"

What exactly was your goal when typing that part of your post?

Dec 26, 2014 at 08:48 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Oh im so glad we don't have this over at the canon forum any more!! His is literally the only 5d3 which was worse than the 5d2! Lol! Anyway .. pay him no mind..

For someone who is glad it's gone, you sure were quick to came all the way over here to bring it up again, drawing even more attention to the matter...

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:57 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

My subjective opinion about the bokeh is...85L has more interesting bokeh without highlights, i.e. the regular non-highlight-style bokeh is much more interesting because it isn't perfectly smooth and soft and perfect. 85g has prettier bokeh with strong highlights. The same concept applies to the 35 f/1.4g vs. 35L. Too smooth to generate a certain subjective "3d" look in some situations without the highlights.

IMO, bokeh circles need those bright edges in order to make them stand out and for bokeh to be interesting in and of itself. Otherwise it's just total creamblur like the 200 f/2 lenses are good at.

I'll get used to it, but it makes me crave the 58g that appears to have less "perfect" bokeh. Other things are making me want the 58g as well, like...I want the ~50mm focal length more and more as my photography style changes.

Dec 30, 2014 at 09:53 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 85 f/1.4g is better than 85L II so far

CanadaMark wrote:
For someone who is glad it's gone, you sure were quick to came all the way over here to bring it up again, drawing even more attention to the matter...

Ahh. You all missed the point. Mr Drinkwater is English. Coloquially known in the great southland as a whinging POM

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.