Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

streetstheatre

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

Hello All,

I'm new to tripods and need some advice. The primary use of the tripod will be photographing documents, and so the horizontal column possibility of the Manfrotto 055CX looks good. I played with one yesterday and it seemed nice. (I can get it for about AUD$600.)

The camera I'll be using is my 7dii, probably with a Sigma 35 1.4 (it may be that I need to go wider, but that's for another thread!).

What head should I buy? I was looking at the Manfrotto MH055MO-Q6. Would that be too heavy on the horizontal column of the tripod? That's about 3kg on the end of the column. I'd have to put some weight on the back end to balance. (Cost is about $300.)

The secondary use would be out and about, mostly with the same camera/lens, but sometimes with my 400 5.6. This would always be with the column in the vertical arrangement.

The weight of the MH055 seems a bit high compared to Markins, say, but it's also cheaper ($300 (and I can get it from a local shop) vs the Q10 at $450 (on ebay)). I'm in Sydney, Australia, so I'm mindful of shipping costs… and trying to keep this all under $1000, unless there is a really compelling reason to spend more.

The other options is to get a ballhead for out and about, and an quick release clamp that goes right on the legs (since when I'm photographing documents the camera will be pointed straight down anyway).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Dec 18, 2014 at 03:35 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

i have the 055xprob and use the Sirui k20x head. I have the D600 + 14-24 and this combo does just fantastic

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:42 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

You might want to take a look at (at least for your primary use) a Benro A2970T. It's aluminum and heavier than carbon fiber, but doesn't just go horizontal like the Manfrotto, it has a very large range of angles for the center column. They cost AU$135.00 from Photo-Shop-Studio which is just west of Sydney. That's where I bought my A2970T. They also sell the A2970F which is identical except that it has flip locks. The Sirui heads are great value for money.

These Benro models are also available in carbon fiber if that's the way you want to go, but Benro have done a good job with the weight of their aluminum tripods and many are not that much heavier than their CF models.

Dec 20, 2014 at 09:32 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

for photographing documents, a scanner might be the best choice (??)

a copy stand is what you want if you use a camera - or an old enlarger stand

my view on buying tripods & heads is to not buy them twice - that usually means Gitzo or RRS tripods & RRS or Markins for ballheads

a tilt swivel head might be better for photographing documents, and will surely be cheaper than a ballhead - Gitzo makes good ones

Dec 22, 2014 at 06:58 PM
streetstheatre

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

rw11 wrote:
for photographing documents, a scanner might be the best choice (??)

a copy stand is what you want if you use a camera - or an old enlarger stand

my view on buying tripods & heads is to not buy them twice - that usually means Gitzo or RRS tripods & RRS or Markins for ballheads

a tilt swivel head might be better for photographing documents, and will surely be cheaper than a ballhead - Gitzo makes good ones

Thanks. I'm leaning towards a Markins Q10.
The documents will be in a library and they have rules about what can and can't be used. No copy stands, no scanners. But I have seen people there using tripods...

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:12 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

I see - will they let you use flash?

also, if a univ. library, faculty status often confers the ability to check things out....

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:15 PM
streetstheatre

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

rw11 wrote:
I see - will they let you use flash?

also, if a univ. library, faculty status often confers the ability to check things out....

No flash. Manuscripts so no borrowing.
I'm really trying to find a solution that works for both imaging manuscripts and taking photos out and about, so I don't have more kit than necessary. I think even if it's not the best solution it should be fine for what I'm trying to do.
The tricky thing is that the only shops near me pretty much only stock Manfrotto heads, so I'm flying blind with the other's which I'll have to order sight-unseen.

Dec 22, 2014 at 09:10 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod: What head with 055cxPro3?

low light in a library means very low vibrations can be allowed & that means a heavy duty, carbon fiber or wood tripod - lots of $$

you will also want a fast lens with a flat field

I'd try to set up near a window on a sunny day

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.