FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · After first meeting email

sgtbueno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · After first meeting email

Anyone care to share some ideas for follow up emails after meeting the brides for the first time?
Sometimes I wonder if I'm communicating the correct way after those meetings.

Also, how long after the meeting do you send this email?

Thank you

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · After first meeting email

Immediately. I usually send it within an hour., then follow up in a few days if I'm waiting for a response. I simply thank them for the opportunity, and tell them I hope to hear from them soon. If they booked, I do the same, and tell them what to expect next. Pretty simple really.

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · After first meeting email

Thanks , I always waited to next day to send the email , I didn't wanted to come across like desperate, but I'll start reaching out the same day.
So far things are working out for me, and only 1 couple didn't book from me in the last 2 years after a meeting, hopefully things continue the same way.
I have 12 booked so far for next year, last year around this time I only had 1 wedding booked

By the way, yesterday I had probably the hardest meeting ever, the couple had 2 pages of questions for me lol
from what camera model do you use to what photography association do you belong to. lmao
Cute couple, let's see if things work out, that'll be number 13th.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM
CoLmes
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · After first meeting email

What have you been doing differently between the year that you had 1 wedding and now marketing wise?

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:52 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · After first meeting email

I think the problem was that I was brand new in the market and my repertoire was 2 weddings lol
Now I have great looking books to show the brides and other materials. I was advertising in Facebook but never got 1 single inquiry from that, so yes, money wasted.
Most couple comes from word of mouth, you have to keep clients happy and deliver good service and they'll come to you.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:59 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · After first meeting email

sgtbueno wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if I'm communicating the correct way after those meetings.

Why do you think this? What do you think you're communicating?

My emails are usually a couple of days after. Just short, saying it was nice to meet, maybe following up with some schedule info or future dates for rehearsal / next meeting etc. It's just a small admin thing in my mind.

Dec 19, 2014 at 06:57 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · After first meeting email

sgtbueno wrote:
I always waited to next day to send the email, I didn't wanted to come across like desperate, but I'll start reaching out the same day.

To me, same day does seem desperate. I usually wait a few days.

Dec 19, 2014 at 07:33 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · After first meeting email

I used to be a little more passive about meetings, looking at them as just a way to present my work and get to know each other, but lately, I've been trying to focus more on "closing." I make sure they see the contract at the meeting or right after in an email, just to put them one step closer to signing and sending a deposit. Then, I'll follow up in a few days, then a little over a week after that if I don't hear back, and generally one more time to make sure they give me an answer, even if it's "no."

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:25 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · After first meeting email

it must be fear of not doing things the correct way, hopefully that'll go away with time.

ricardovaste wrote:
Why do you think this? What do you think you're communicating?

My emails are usually a couple of days after. Just short, saying it was nice to meet, maybe following up with some schedule info or future dates for rehearsal / next meeting etc. It's just a small admin thing in my mind.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · After first meeting email

sgtbueno wrote:
it must be fear of not doing things the correct way, hopefully that'll go away with time.

You need to get over that fear or it'll never go away, you'll just keep going around in circles.

Start thinking less about the "correct" or "right" way, and more about "Is this the better way?"

And then go and test it. That is where you need to get rid of the fear, go test your ideas out, try them, find out what works, what doesn't work, and fine tune it.

Dec 19, 2014 at 01:02 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · After first meeting email

D. Diggler wrote:
To me, same day does seem desperate. I usually wait a few days.

Depends completely on what you say, and how you say it.

Dec 19, 2014 at 01:27 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · After first meeting email

amonline wrote:
Depends completely on what you say, and how you say it.

For me, same day would mostly be impossible/out of office hours, as meetings are usually in the afternoon or sometimes an evening so by the time everything is done I wouldn't be working anymore anyway

Dec 19, 2014 at 01:29 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · After first meeting email

Welcome to 2014. We have tablets and smart phones now. 99.9% of mine are sent from one of those following the consultation.

Specifically speaking, I often use my iPad during consult, and simply write my email after the client departs, and before packing up and continuing on with my life. This is why I say I usually get it out within the hour. If I'm sitting at Barnes n' Nobles, and the couple leaves, I take a few moments to bring up my standard letter, address as needed, and send it. Takes all of about 2 minutes.

Dec 19, 2014 at 01:57 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · After first meeting email

amonline wrote:
Welcome to 2014. We have tablets and smart phones now. 99.9% of mine are sent from one of those following the consultation.

Welcome to real business hours and a personal life

Suit yourself. Just stating for the OP how it works for me.

Dec 19, 2014 at 02:03 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · After first meeting email

ricardovaste wrote:
Welcome to real business hours and a personal life

Suit yourself. Just stating for the OP how it works for me.

^this

We usually wait until the next morning... no reason to rush, and yeah, I think it could come off as desperate regardless of what you say

Dec 19, 2014 at 03:48 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · After first meeting email

I usually send an email the next day. I have had SEVERAL couples tell me they booked me over another photographer because I followed up with them, showed that I wanted to work with them, and gave them the impression that they weren't "just another client".
The email says something like this::

"Hi Sarah!

I just wanted to send you a quick note and let you know that I really enjoyed meeting the two of you yesterday. I know that choosing a wedding photographer can be a difficult process, so please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can address. Thanks so much, and I hope you have a great weekend!"

Dec 19, 2014 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.