New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Resize Image for Printing in a Lab

june10459

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Resize Image for Printing in a Lab

Hi,

I ordered a Metal print out "Rectangular Triptych at (3) 16x24. I Went into photoshop, selected image size, entered 16x24, DPI 300, Resample Image, Bicubic Smoother & exported as jpeg quality of 10. However, the online photo lab, bay photo, stating the pic i sent them is only 80 DPI. What am i doing wrong?

Appreciate the advice.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Resize Image for Printing in a Lab

Two things to check:

- First, if you bring the exported file back into Photoshop, what are the dimensions in pixels?

- When you order this metal triptych I assume it is 3 16x24 prints panels? If so, does the lab want you to send one image to be split across the 3 panels or does it want you to send 3 images, one for each panel? The reason I ask is that it could be the difference between 3 16x24 images or 1 48x24 image (or maybe 1 16x72 image).

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:42 AM
june10459

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Resize Image for Printing in a Lab

its 1 image spread across the 3 panels. so i should resize as 48x24 image?

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Resize Image for Printing in a Lab

If 24" is the height and 48" (3x16") is the width, then I think yes but you may want to check with the lab's customer service area if they have one.

You would want to do like you did before - dimensions in inches, re-sample checked, 300 PPI.

A couple of things to be careful with:
- 24x16 and 48x24 are slightly different aspect ratios so the cropping will be different. Make sure you don't crop off things you want.
- Up-rezzing/re-sampling has it's limitations. It can help smooth out the pixels so they are not so visible but there is no way to add detail that wasn't there in the first place. So you may want to double-check what your un-re-sampled PPI would be for that dimension of print. The un-re-sampled PPI MIGHT be able to be as low as 80 or 100 *IF* you are going to be viewing the triptych from a distance of several feet but it might not be a satisfactory viewing experience close-up.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM
june10459

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Resize Image for Printing in a Lab

Thank you, appreciate your advice.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.