FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Southern California Coast

andrew perkins
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Southern California Coast

Been busy with work and the holidays and while I have somehow been able to sneak out and shoot, I've not been able to set aside any time to process. Finally, I made time to work on two images taken earlier this year and thought I'd share.

The first is from El Matador State Beach in Malibu. I really liked how the water was rushing over the rock in the foreground and the patterns the camera was able to capture. The sky really did have a sweet sample of colors.

The second is from my usual spot, Abalone Cove in Rancho Palos Verdes. Rising swells started to hit this neat recession and I thought having a creamy looking ocean would be nice to contrast the color and detail of the land. The land/water exposure were taken a good 20 minutes or so before the sky, as I wanted the direct sunlight hitting the rock. I'm sure most of us have experienced it, but later that evening was my first unexpected drench from a wave while messing with settings. Funny how fast the thought process goes from crap i'm wet to THE CAMERA!

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:01 PM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Southern California Coast

A really nice set of images. Call me ignorant, but I didn't realize the beaches around Malibu were so beautiful! The first image is my favorite. As you said, the sample of colors in the sky is really a sweet, sweet sample of colors I particularly like the glow of misty backlit. My main gripe is that I would like to see the scene shown with a bit wider lens or a few steps back. I personally find the foreground rock, and particularly the spire in the upper left to be quite tight towards the edges of the frame. In regards to the second image, I really like the composition and the way it draws my eye into the scene and ultimately those mountains on the distant horizon. I do think the exposure could use some work. I would try to shift the foreground only a bit towards the blue side to reduce the red channel, as the image is blown out a bit in that area. Perhaps some general darkening, particularly along the brightest parts up in the upper left would be a good idea. Overall, a nice set of images to look at.

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:12 PM
andrew perkins
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Southern California Coast

ChrisKayler wrote:
A really nice set of images. Call me ignorant, but I didn't realize the beaches around Malibu were so beautiful! The first image is my favorite. As you said, the sample of colors in the sky is really a sweet, sweet sample of colors I particularly like the glow of misty backlit. My main gripe is that I would like to see the scene shown with a bit wider lens or a few steps back. I personally find the foreground rock, and particularly the spire in the upper left to be quite tight towards the edges of the frame.
...Show more

Thanks Chris! Ha, I didn't even know we had beaches like this until I got into photography!

I appreciate your comment and suggestions and I'll play around with the second image tonight.

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:43 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Southern California Coast

I agree with Chris' suggestions. #2 is a stunning comp. I like the long exposure as well. Those are the kind of shores I wished we had here.

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:56 PM
andrew perkins
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Southern California Coast

Scott Kroeker wrote:
I agree with Chris' suggestions. #2 is a stunning comp. I like the long exposure as well. Those are the kind of shores I wished we had here.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate your feedback

Dec 17, 2014 at 07:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Southern California Coast

Hey Chris,

2 very cool shots here. I like them both, they have some nice light in them. With #2 I think I would crop just a little off the bottom to lose that one small rock being lit up along the bottom left. I think with it out, the other rocks flow into the light better.

Jim

Dec 17, 2014 at 08:07 PM
andrew perkins
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Southern California Coast

JimFox wrote:
Hey Chris,

2 very cool shots here. I like them both, they have some nice light in them. With #2 I think I would crop just a little off the bottom to lose that one small rock being lit up along the bottom left. I think with it out, the other rocks flow into the light better.

Jim

Thank you Jim. I had thought about darkening said rock and ended up doing that once reading your post. I will post an edited version that takes into account some of the comments here. Thanks so far

Dec 18, 2014 at 01:27 AM
andrew perkins
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Southern California Coast

Okay, so I brushed in the slightly blown highlights in the sky from a darker exposure, pulled down some of the lights and darks throughout (i feel the transition to sky is better now), darkened the distracting rock in the bottom left and pulled down some of the reds.

I'm really liking where it stands but I'm now realizing that smugmug is adding saturation and it's way obvious on this image. The reds are getting blown when they aren't in the jpg i'm exporting. Need to figure out what's going on there. Regardless, I'm really liking the changes when I compare it to the original. Thanks again so far

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.