New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anyone using Macphun?

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using Macphun?

I'd love to know your thoughts if you are using these processing tools. I have the Nik suite, and am not sure I need this, but some of the testimonials look pretty enticing. To anyone who has used these or even both Nik and MacPhun - what is the difference if anything? I enjoy Nik pretty much, but admit the B&W conversions don't always stand out as I'd like. That likely has more to do with me than SilverEfX, but I digress.... Any opinions in this would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Sharon

Dec 17, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Macphun Team

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using Macphun?

Hi Sharon,
Happy to hear you're considering our software. Tonality is our black and white processing app and we think it's pretty awesome (and so do the folks at Rangefinder who named it Editor's Choice in software). You can download a fully functional and free trial version and see if it meets your needs. It works as a standalone app and as a plug-in with Lightroom and Aperture. And please contact us if you have any questions.
Thank you!
Ana

Dec 18, 2014 at 01:23 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using Macphun?

Thanks Ana - I will likely be giving it a free spin over the holidays. It is a plug-in to Photoshop as well, I trust?

Thanks again!
Sharon

Dec 18, 2014 at 03:11 PM
Macphun Team

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using Macphun?

Yes, you can use it as a plug-in with Photoshop, too. :-)
Thanks!

Dec 19, 2014 at 05:25 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using Macphun?

That looks very interesting, I'm going to give it a try too!

Dec 19, 2014 at 07:17 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using Macphun?

Interesting. I hadn't realized who MacPhun was. I had a copy of Snapheal pro (bought in one of those bundle deals), that I apparently lost when I had to make an abrupt system upgrade. I remember it as an interesting 1-trick pony but didn't use it much. I can't comment on Tonality as I've never used it, but it is possible with practice to do some amazing things with SFXPro. Of course it is also quite nice to see a Mac focused developer (that's not part of the Google octopus). Guess I should try a demo.

Robert

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using Macphun?

I've been using Tonality Pro for about 3 weeks with good results. Many of the presets are heavy-handed (for my personal taste) but can easily be dialed back or altered. The controls are very different from Silver Efex, and in some ways better.

Macphun was recently offering 30% off the regular price for the holidays (maybe still are). I had been watching the price for weeks and finally gave up on finding a deal and purchased it to edit some Yosemite images. A week later, I received the email announcing the discounted pricing. If I'd only waited... always a day late and dollar short.

One thing to be aware of if you download the trial version. It will only work if you're connected to the internet. I downloaded it for my trip to Yosemite, thinking I would edit photos in the evenings. Internet connections are scarce there, and I was unable to use it. By the time I got back, the trial had expired, so I took a leap of faith and purchased the software anyway. It's worth the money... even more so if you find a discount.

Jan 06, 2015 at 10:27 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using Macphun?

Thanks, Doug! I haven't tried it yet. I worked with my Silver FX over the holidays quite a bit and pondered whether I really needed yet another plug in. Can't hurt to give it a spin, I reckon!

Jan 08, 2015 at 04:25 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using Macphun?

Based on this thread, I bought it. The two things I really like is that it can read RAW files and that you can save files in its own format with all the B&W settings in it, so you can go back and change things.

Jan 09, 2015 at 05:00 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using Macphun?

That's great, Emile! Perhaps I should ask for a referring discount from MacPhun!

Jan 09, 2015 at 11:32 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using Macphun?

Here are a few images from Yosemite last month processed with Tonality Pro. I'm definitely still learning, but it gives you plenty of tools to work with.

Jan 10, 2015 at 09:39 PM
Mnd1
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using Macphun?

The Macphun products are outstanding. Intensify Pro is the one I use most, it's very useful and comes with loads of Presets to quickly get an idea of the effect. Snapheal is great for removing unwanted artifacts. I have used Tonality Pro but not being big into B&W not so much, it dies come with loads of Presets to find the effect your looking for.

Jan 24, 2015 at 05:31 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.