Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

rickrottman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

I am looking for advise or suggestions.
I may have an opportunity to do some volunteer work in Northern Peru for a month. I would plan to travel around the country as a more traditional tourist after the volunteer assignment is completed.
During the volunteer portion of my trip I would like to take my 600mm f4 lens, as there may be some great opportunities for photos with it. As it is quite large, I do not want to carry the lens with me during the second month while I am traveling about. As the lens was a significant financial investment for me I am trying to figure out how I can safely insure that it is still in my possession when I return home to North America.

Should I ship the lens from Peru to a friend at home? Is that safe? Should I leave the lens at home, make due without it? Is there a secure place in Peru, perhaps Lima, where I could safely store it until my departure from the country?

I would appreciate any info or suggestions from those who have solved this issue!

Thanks, Rick

Dec 16, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

Insurance?

Dec 16, 2014 at 07:50 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

Don't know about you, but I'm not enthusiastic about shipping something that pricey. About the only place I would feel comfortable leaving it...is probably a bank.

But that would be a really big safe deposit box.

Payment would be DUE, but you could make DO without it.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

I wouldn't go to Peru with that lens unless it was insured. Even then I would take it as hand baggage on the plane and never let it out of my sight.

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:13 AM
Sbmccm

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

I agree with the previous posters. Don't ship it to/from Peru; keep it on you at all times. Don't be tempted to leave it in your hotel room either. Keep your photo gear in a bag/case that is inconspicuous & doesn't scream that you have expensive photo equipment. Look into the Think Tank messenger bags; they don't look like photography bags. Have a great trip!

Jan 06, 2015 at 01:24 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

helenica wrote:
I wouldn't go to Peru with that lens unless it was insured. Even then I would take it as hand baggage on the plane and never let it out of my sight.

Amen.

Jan 15, 2015 at 08:20 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

Check with TSA. Met a pro photographer Saturday at LD #14. He said the TSA website has a form that you can take with you to the airport and ask for permission to bring your camera gear on the plane with you. He says it worked all but once at a very small airport in Turkey. He said to be very polite at the counter and you should be treated as well. Just repeating what he told me- never heard of the form before. Why would a guy named "Bob" lie?
Insurance is the key. It costs me about 1% of the value of my gear yearly. Cheap and no headaches.

dan

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

I have a friend that Fed Ex's his lenses to and from most shoots. Would that help you?

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:15 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice on traveling with expensive lens.

runakid wrote:
Check with TSA. Met a pro photographer Saturday at LD #14. He said the TSA website has a form that you can take with you to the airport and ask for permission to bring your camera gear on the plane with you.

Are you sure that's not the CBP Form 4457, where you register your items outbound so you can prove they were with you on your departure?

Jan 28, 2015 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.