Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Breast Stroke

juicesqueezer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Breast Stroke

Took these at my granddaughters swim meet in Nashville, TN. Trying out my new to me D3.
Thanks for looking!

Cutting seconds!

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:22 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Breast Stroke

If you are able to get lower, I would do so. You'll want your photos to stand out compared to others. Also, on the monitor here at work, the shots appear to be underexposed.

Dec 16, 2014 at 08:30 AM
juicesqueezer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Breast Stroke

P Alesse wrote:
If you are able to get lower, I would do so. You'll want your photos to stand out compared to others. Also, on the monitor here at work, the shots appear to be underexposed.

Thank you, I agree on the getting lower. Had problem with people standing in the way and wet area as well. They do look a little under exposed as well.

Dec 16, 2014 at 01:11 PM
kylehess10
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Breast Stroke

I have to agree. Shooting straight-forward and down low would get you a much better angle to shoot from. Also, push your ISO up for a better exposure; you have a D3 so it's not going to destroy the quality. My personal limit on the D3 is 4000 or 6400 ISO before I start lowering the shutter speed more.

Dec 19, 2014 at 02:24 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Breast Stroke

You're going to get wet. If you don't, you're not positioned properly. Either bring a change of clothes or keep a garbage bag in the car to cover the upholstery.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:52 AM
karrphoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Breast Stroke

Well, if this is less than high school, you can get on the deck, but come high school, forget about it. Even then there are media restrictions that are based on school (no shooting from the ballast or whatever it's called separating the diving from swim lanes at some schools), no blocking the timers (which becomes a pain when you can't stand on the divider), etc.

And other times if you have permission you just need to learn how to make it like you are supposed to be there and move your way into position.

Dec 29, 2014 at 02:37 AM
karrphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Breast Stroke

I've given up on natural light shooting all together with swimming. There isn't a single gym in this area that I've been send to that doesn't have crap lights that cycle. Now, with the advent of cameras like the 7DII that can remove the effects of cycling lights it's a nice option of someone says no to the flash. However, under the rules of the governing body in Indiana, it's allowed with the exception of the start (which they use a flash to indicate a false start) or diving. Here are 2 I shot earlier this year where I mounted my flashes (covered by a 1 Gallon ZipLock) on each set of flag poles in an cross shot manor (so I could get them coming or going or from the side with the freestyle)

And I'm down as far as I can go without laying on the deck.. I have no problem getting wet and I've laid on the deck when I know I had a sure thing. But when you aren't sure between more than a couple lanes (it's easy if it's lanes 5 & 6 you have to concentrate on, but if it's 4/5/6/7, which is rare, laying isn't an option)

Dec 29, 2014 at 03:08 AM
sanqunetti

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Breast Stroke

Hi juicesqueezer,

Lower is definitely better if you can manage it. Around here it is nearly impossible at club meets, but I do have access to school meets. This shot was taken with a 7D2, 70-200 f2.8 L at f2.8, 1/640 shutter speed using auto-iso. Topaz denoise was used to reduce hi-iso noise.

Best Regards, Doug

© sanqunetti 2014

Dec 30, 2014 at 07:25 PM
juicesqueezer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Breast Stroke

Very nice shots Karr! They would not let me shoot head on, could not stand near the timers and since there was little room between me and the wall, many were walking in front, which prevented me from at least kneeling. This was a high school meet with no flash either.
A little disappointing!

Edited on Dec 30, 2014 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2014 at 09:30 PM
juicesqueezer
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Breast Stroke

sanqunetti wrote:
Hi juicesqueezer,

Lower is definitely better if you can manage it. Around here it is nearly impossible at club meets, but I do have access to school meets. This shot was taken with a 7D2, 70-200 f2.8 L at f2.8, 1/640 shutter speed using auto-iso. Topaz denoise was used to reduce hi-iso noise.

Best Regards, Doug

Nice shots Doug. Again, they would not let me shoot straight at the swimmers. Those are the best shots to take, in my opinion.

Dec 30, 2014 at 09:31 PM
karrphoto

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Breast Stroke

You can get away with Freestyle from the side of the pool, assuming the swimmer breathes in your direction at least one length of the pool...

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:33 AM
juicesqueezer
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Breast Stroke

karrphoto wrote:
You can get away with Freestyle from the side of the pool, assuming the swimmer breathes in your direction at least one length of the pool...

Very true and thanks for your comments!

Dec 31, 2014 at 04:36 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Breast Stroke

juicesqueezer wrote:
Very true and thanks for your comments!

Worth considering for the longer lengths, but for nifty fifties, some of them don't need to come up for air at all and there tends to be a greater splash factor which can be an AF nightmare for the camera if trying to focus on a mid lane swimmer.

Dec 31, 2014 at 06:25 PM
picboy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Breast Stroke

I prefer the side view better. the front view is very common and only shows one swimmer--I would avoid that approach if you want yr images to standout. I clipped this off a site since I don't have access to my swim photos but wanted to illustrate an example--sorry for poor quality, but you get the idea (I took it, so no credit issue)

Good luck to your grand daughter in her swimming career!

Jan 02, 2015 at 02:03 AM
juicesqueezer
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Breast Stroke

picboy wrote:
I prefer the side view better. the front view is very common and only shows one swimmer--I would avoid that approach if you want yr images to standout. I clipped this off a site since I don't have access to my swim photos but wanted to illustrate an example--sorry for poor quality, but you get the idea (I took it, so no credit issue)

Good luck to your grand daughter in her swimming career!

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s649/bs0822/sw_zpsae2b9333.jpg

Very nice action on that shot you clipped and thank you on the granddaughter career!

Jan 02, 2015 at 08:49 PM
picboy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Breast Stroke

you can always try underwater too! Here is another clip of another picture I took at the same meet. but the price of the the gear (aquatech) gets kinda of crazy. "side view" and not head on. again, sorry for the quality--it's coming off the web.

Jan 03, 2015 at 12:12 AM
karrphoto

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Breast Stroke

You don't always need the underwater equipment. I've been told IUPUI in Indianapolis has a camera port on the side of the pool protected by Plexi that allows you to go underwater without the necessary housing. I honestly haven't shot swimming state finals so I have no clue how well it works or how many pools have these ports.. but.. it's possible. And it may not be IUPUI, maybe it's IU in Bloomington. Again, I haven't shot the finals for Swimming but I've been told there are these fun things there.

Jan 05, 2015 at 02:21 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.