New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

I was lucky enough to get the new 100-400 last Thursday before my trip to Vancouver. I haven't had much time to process images but here is one from the trip. The weather was drizzly and relatively dark....I really like how the lens handled and was very happy with the results. The focusing is quick, the lens stabilizer silent and the zoom easy to use especially if you are used to the 70-300L. I didn't have a need for a circular polarizer but can see how the little window in the sun shield makes that a viable option now.
This was paired with the 7D2 which I think is a nice combo for those times you don't want or can't carry a full frame and long telephoto.
And a couple of landscape shots as well( IDx used as well).
Eric

http://eyelaser.smugmug.com/Nature/Vancouver-2013/i-B56jqsr/0/X2/224A3894.eaglecallingshorterlens-X2.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 7D Mark II
ISO 1600
Focal Length 400mm
Aperture f/5.6
Exposure Time 0.001s (1/1000)

http://eyelaser.smugmug.com/Nature/Vancouver-2013/i-NR2SfP2/0/X2/224A4234squamishlandscape-X2.jpg

http://eyelaser.smugmug.com/Nature/Vancouver-2013/i-D6R4b8Q/0/X2/CS3P4055diamondhead-X2.jpg

Edited on Dec 15, 2014 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2014 at 09:27 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

Looks quite sharp.

Dec 15, 2014 at 09:31 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

Did you have version I before that you can give your opinion on the upgrade?

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

Very nice images. This combination is really working for you. Love the landscapes. Well done.

Brian M.

Dec 16, 2014 at 04:26 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

Very nice, Eric....

Chris

Dec 16, 2014 at 04:37 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

Cicopo wrote:
Looks quite sharp.

I'm very happy with the image quality...I'm hoping there isn't the variability in the IQ we all saw with version 1.
---------------------------------------------

Herb wrote:
Did you have version I before that you can give your opinion on the upgrade?

Yes I had version1 and it was awful even after sending it to Canon a number of times....it essentially became a big paperweight. This one at least delivers what I hoped it would

brimull wrote:
Very nice images. This combination is really working for you. Love the landscapes. Well done.

Brian M.

Thanks Brian...it is quite versatile and that I think is it's big selling point.

Chris B. wrote:
Very nice, Eric....

Chris

Thanks so much Chris...so far so good.
Eric

Dec 16, 2014 at 05:13 PM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

Those look great Eric, I'm also getting this lens before my Yellowstone trip next May, looks like a winner

Dec 16, 2014 at 08:01 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

Just got mine today. On, of course, a heavily overcast day!

I've done but a bit of preliminary shooting and comparisons with the original. So far, I'm impressed with it's sharpness and contrast wide open on the 5D3, with and without the Canon Mk II 1.4X.

The jury is still out on its performance with the aftermarket teleconverter on the 70D - its focus system isn't quite as good (not really rated for an f/8 combination anyway) and I was running out of light so I had to deal with high ISO and slow shutter speeds.

The IS is silent, and the focus is very fast. Still lots of testing and comparing to do over the next few days.

Oh, I did note that the close focus distance is a definite plus. It's almost a macro lens, well 1/3 of a macro anyway. Very useful.

Dec 16, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

eyelaser wrote:
Yes I had version1 and it was awful even after sending it to Canon a number of times....it essentially became a big paperweight. This one at least delivers what I hoped it would

I've always had very good success with my V1.

I'd like to compare one to another myself to see what difference there is in real life.

Dec 16, 2014 at 09:12 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

These images look vaguely familiar. I can't quite put my finger on it.

In any case, I recently got one of these lenses (oddly enough, it was the exact moment you lost your first copy - go figure) and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

These look good. I have the version 1 as well so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Henrik

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

mrcolin2u wrote:
Those look great Eric, I'm also getting this lens before my Yellowstone trip next May, looks like a winner

Colin, I think you will love the versatility...the bokeh isn't quite up to the longer lenses but the trade off in being able to walk around for hours and hours with it makes this a great addition to my kit.

Tom_W wrote:
Just got mine today. On, of course, a heavily overcast day!

I've done but a bit of preliminary shooting and comparisons with the original. So far, I'm impressed with it's sharpness and contrast wide open on the 5D3, with and without the Canon Mk II 1.4X.

The jury is still out on its performance with the aftermarket teleconverter on the 70D - its focus system isn't quite as good (not really rated for an f/8 combination anyway) and I was running out of light so I had to deal with high ISO and slow shutter speeds.

The IS is silent, and the
...Show more
Thanks for your comments...I've yet to try it with the tc but I expect it will hold up just fine.

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I've always had very good success with my V1.

I'd like to compare one to another myself to see what difference there is in real life.

If you have a great V1 copy you may not appreciate that much of a difference...for me it is night and day....and the V1 hasn't seen the light of day in 3+ years as a result!

hnilsson wrote:
These images look vaguely familiar. I can't quite put my finger on it.

In any case, I recently got one of these lenses (oddly enough, it was the exact moment you lost your first copy - go figure) and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

These look good. I have the version 1 as well so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Henrik

Coincidence, I think not I suspect you will love this lens on a second body to compliment your longer ones....and for those long wolf tracking adventures
Eric

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 100-400V2 eagle shot and some landscapes

Eric

Nice shots. I'm exited about this combo.

My 100-400 II arrived today and I Microadjusted the focus to my 7DII (+3 wide and +4 narrow). With the next two weeks off, I intend to get familiar with this combo, including a few kayak trips on a nearby bayou.

There is supposed to be a pair of bald eagles on the bayou, but haven't spotted them the last 2 trips. Usually plenty of osprey, pelicans, herons, and egrets, along with darting kingfishers. So plenty of targets.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Steve

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.