Archive 2014 · One Egret. Two Ways.

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One Egret. Two Ways.

Scott

the EXIF that comes and goes
Canon 7D, Tamron 150-600 @ 329, 1/6400s, f7.1 ISO 400., +0.7 EV
Why ISO 400? Constantly changing exposure, I didnt drop it as I could have.

GoetzPhotoz 2014

GoetzPhotoz 2014

Edited on Dec 15, 2014 at 04:16 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:26 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One Egret. Two Ways.

1st is my favorite. The bills, legs and eyes need the color.

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:04 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One Egret. Two Ways.

I want to prefer the mono version, but I agree with Ben.

Color version has much more impact IMO.

I did some sloppy dodging around the beak to hopefully give it a bit more separation and boosted the vib/sat/constrast slightly.

Tripod or monopod?

This makes me want to get out there with my Tammy!

Cheers,

Jeff

Dec 15, 2014 at 05:12 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One Egret. Two Ways.

Ben, I agree
I suspect the BW would be better without toning for more pop

Scott

Dec 15, 2014 at 06:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · One Egret. Two Ways.

Jeff
Monopod
You have the same lens?

Scott

Dec 15, 2014 at 06:16 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · One Egret. Two Ways.

sbeme wrote:
Jeff
Monopod
You have the same lens?

Scott

Yeah brother! I had thought we had covered this.

Picked up the Tammy before SA trip. Should have done more research and stopped down some more - I definitely favored my 70-200 as I was having sharpness issues at the longer range at 6.3.

What I don't have is a monopod - if they are all created equally (factoring out material and ballhead), do you think my super lightweight tripod could function as a psuedomonopod?

If not, I'd love to hear what you're sporting.

Cheers,

Jeff

Dec 15, 2014 at 08:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · One Egret. Two Ways.

beavens wrote:
Yeah brother! I had thought we had covered this.

Picked up the Tammy before SA trip. Should have done more research and stopped down some more - I definitely favored my 70-200 as I was having sharpness issues at the longer range at 6.3.

What I don't have is a monopod - if they are all created equally (factoring out material and ballhead), do you think my super lightweight tripod could function as a psuedomonopod?

If not, I'd love to hear what you're sporting.

Cheers,

Jeff

Vague, untrustworthy memory about the lens. But I don't recall seeing images you have taken with it. Am I missing that too?
No reason you can't use a tripod or keep the legs folded in. I bought an Oben monopod from bhphoto for about $100. I have a ballhead on my tripod but have been using the monopod directly attached to the lens collar. Monopod weighs about a lbs. The main issue is stabilizing lateral movement.

Scott

Dec 16, 2014 at 09:04 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · One Egret. Two Ways.

sbeme wrote:
Vague, untrustworthy memory about the lens. But I don't recall seeing images you have taken with it. Am I missing that too?
No reason you can't use a tripod or keep the legs folded in. I bought an Oben monopod from bhphoto for about $100. I have a ballhead on my tripod but have been using the monopod directly attached to the lens collar. Monopod weighs about a lbs. The main issue is stabilizing lateral movement.

Scott

I've posted a few that were from the Tammy, but most are from my f4 70-200.

I'll try out the folded-in tripod but I spring for a monopod.

I was a dummy before the trip and really didn't do my due diligence in terms of getting to know the lens.

Next time!

Dec 16, 2014 at 09:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · One Egret. Two Ways.

Scott,

Color for me on this one.

Jeff,

Monopod or Tripod (folded legs) ... I'll use either.

I'd invest in good ballhead for your psuedomono before I'd invest in a really good monopod (an average mono still works fine). A nice ball head with a large enough ball to give surface area tension is valuable for shooting with heavy glass and still be able to adjust your shooting angle at will. And of course, you can put it on your monopod or psuedomonopod too.

A good stick (monopod) is nice to drop the weight and somewhat unwieldliness of the tripod. The large ball not only makes for more surface tension, but also more refined control. For the ultimate in stability, you can use BOTH a tripod and monopod @ one on the lens, one on the camera. That of course, isn't an ideal mobility setup. but it can help with long glass when you need slower shutter speeds.

Dec 16, 2014 at 09:59 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · One Egret. Two Ways.

I once had a monopod. You don't need a ball head because the mono itself can be twisted and turned. A simple swivel is all that is needed. RRS has some good research material.

However, I found that for stationary birds, I wanted a tripod with a gimbal head and for moving birds I wanted hand held. The mono stayed in the truck, and then at home and eventually sold.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · One Egret. Two Ways.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I don't want to derail Scott's thread, so I'll end my gear talk with this: scored an ultralight Gitzo tripod recently and slapped a Manfrotto ballhead on it. It's not the craziest of heads, but it does have tension controls that get pretty stiff. I think it'll play out nicely as a pseudomono (hopefully!).

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · One Egret. Two Ways.

ben egbert wrote:
I once had a monopod. You don't need a ball head because the mono itself can be twisted and turned. A simple swivel is all that is needed.

Not so much for the twist/turn ... more for the height / eye level. I just tilt my stick forward/backward to raise it up/down and can "swivel" on the ball to keep the gear at my desired angle. Little need to adjust leg height (except for very large changes @ shooting position changes). Kind of a "poor man's Gimbal" ... with mobility.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · One Egret. Two Ways.

Yes a swivel head allows the up down tilt, which is the only direction you don't easily get with just the mono alone.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.I/id.55/.f

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · One Egret. Two Ways.

Ben,

I'd not seen the RRS mono head ... interesting option.

Dec 16, 2014 at 08:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · One Egret. Two Ways.

RustyBug wrote:
Ben,

I'd not seen the RRS mono head ... interesting option.

They did not have this head when I got mine, I think I had to get a Gitzo or Manfrotto swivel at that time. Point being, swivels are not new, just not as common. RRS sold Gitzo products before they got big on making their own tripod and ball heads. They used to suggest Gitzo pods and Acraswiss heads. They were originally making plates and pano gear.

Dec 16, 2014 at 08:20 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · One Egret. Two Ways.

I quite like the egret, but maybe lose the top stick?

Dec 16, 2014 at 08:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · One Egret. Two Ways.

Color it is.
I don't mind a bit of a hijack to equipment.
Karen, I think you are right. Small change, nice improvement. Thanks
Scott

Dec 17, 2014 at 07:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.