Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

Heya folks,

Question for those of you that have used a designer for logo/marketing materials/etc.

How bad is it to be really picky? I'm working with one for the first time (for branding and logo design) and feel like I'm being ultra picky about my logo fonts and brand appeal. I built up a big inspiration board of images and examples and talked it over with her, but I feel like the first designs I'm getting back aren't really even close to what I was looking for. I don't want to be rude, but I also don't want to spend the money then have to design it myself...

She's quite talented and very patient with me, I just can't tell if I'm being too 'wishy washy' with my responses.

It seems like I'll have to:

A) Just let her do her thing, receiving a product that could theoretically work but that I'm not passionate about (and who knows if that is in line with my target brides)

B) Tell her that I don't like any of the initial samples and that maybe we need to start over

C) Spend the time to design something rough myself and tell her 'something like this'

Ugh. I don't want to be 'that client' but I also want to be excited about the rebrand launch...

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

How did you find this designer? Did she have previous work that you liked?

Being a good graphic designer is more than just being able to pump out a good logo. You have to understand the psychology behind the "brand" which is so much bigger than the logo to begin with.

Did she have anything that walked you through the process to find out what you were looking for, what your tastes in design are, who your target audience is etc.?

It's not that you are that guy its that maybe she isn't that girl.

Dec 15, 2014 at 01:14 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

I completely agree with Doug's remarks above.

I tried to have a logo made earlier this year and it was poop. Their process was terrible - basically none existent.

Poor communication as well.

If you have good reason to trust her, go ahead, pick up the phone and talk it through.

But unless she absolutely gets what you want then I would walk away. I cannot imagine trusting someone with an entire brand unless they gave me a very good reason to. If we are talking logo and maybe visual identity, maybe less so, but it's still something you just want done "right" rather than "hmmmm maybe"

Good luck!

Dec 15, 2014 at 01:32 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

Thanks guys!

She's mostly just doing a logo and helping me smooth over the new website process, I've come up with the whole brand look and approach myself. It's more a matter of picking the right fonts, the actual designs themselves, etc that I've struggled with.

I found her through a mutual friend, who she did great work for and who referred me.

I'm going to see if we can circle back to the logo after the website is done. Her pricing is quite fair, so I feel like I may just be asking the moon.

Dec 15, 2014 at 01:59 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

Completely agree with Doug. A designer does not need to to nail it on the first go around ... but at least be in the park.

Unless you have a change in direction after seeing some samples. Which is okay ... you need to be up front.

Looks like it is time to walk away.

-Mark

Dec 15, 2014 at 02:03 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

Design in any field is a curious matter and successful collaboration (particularly within a budget) requires as much from the client as the designer.

Early in the process, it's often more productive if the client lets the designer know the initial concepts can be really, REALLY raw. Assuring the designer you have an imagination and ability to visualize the end product or at least get the concept; that you want to see even the most elementary or messy sketches and discuss ideas, rather than conclusions, can do wonders to free the designer to let go, stress less, and give you their best work. You want her focused on ideas, not illustrations.

As the client, you essentially function as art director... a skill set unto its own. These things work best when we take that seriously (as it sounds like you are)... she's no doubt highly desirous of pleasing you. Help her understand how.

Fonts are a useful touchstone as they impart a distinct personality - but it's generally best to deliberately consider several of varying flavors. Typography is a reminder of not only where you think you want to be, but where you might not have expected you'd wind up but precisely where you belong. The character of a typeface is typically the most anchoring element in graphic design: 1) because it is generally distinct; 2) most people have similar emotional responses to a font; and 3) because with well established typefaces, the font designer spent far more time and attention getting it right than you or I could ever afford to in commissioning a logo.

As with any creative process, it should be an ebb and flow of centrifugal and centripetal efforts and forces cycling between completely open-ended "away from center" thinking, then evaluation, and moving back toward center (decisions). Then rinse and repeat.

Be a good, reassuring client and give yourself time to ponder her ideas. But don't settle on a decision just because it's all taking a while. Good design rarely comes from brilliance. It comes from informed talent, a sound process and painstaking effort... hopefully having some fun and excitement along the way.

Dec 16, 2014 at 05:42 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

Typefaces are really important to me and I've researched them to death. I specialized in just branding for years. The dirty secret, many designers have limited knowledge about typefaces. I like creating original unique brands that are not using dafont as their #1 source. I like originality and tweaking things to make them truly a one off. It's a lot of work and obsessive, but the branding is the most important aspect of any business. And truthfully I have fun doing it. It's not cheap when done right.

Dec 17, 2014 at 05:53 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

Daniel, looking at your Facebook I know the exact look I'd be aiming for if I were you. I would be inter blending multiple sans serif typefaces and likely creating my own character set in the process and making a bold timeless presentation with little to no icon, the icon can just be a nod with the final presentation super clean.

Dec 17, 2014 at 05:58 PM
zirarzirar

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Working with a Designer for Branding/Logo?

well done for this great post

Dec 18, 2014 at 01:51 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.