New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

Brian Kirksey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

I am getting very close to buying a 2nd Nikon body to help me shoot primarily concerts in low light.
I really wanted a used D4 but I think I need to pass on the expense where I am right now with kids, house payment, life, etc.. I own a (1) D700 and use both my 24-70mm f2.8 and my 70-200mm f2.8 at concerts. I hate switching back in forth between lenses, but that is just the way it is with one body. I generally get to shoot during the first 3 songs, 12-15 minutes to shoot the whole band and hopefully get a few magical moments in that allowance of time. The drummer is always buried in the rear in the kit. The front man is in the front with the guitarists and bassist running back and forth. I have to dodge wires, poles, bars, and other photographers in the small space between the stage and barricade, its very exciting!
I am thinking about buying a D750 for my primary, and using my D700 as my secondary. I would be slinging them both during the event. My concern was the build of the D750 versus the D700. Prosumer vs professional. Is it strong enough? Comparing the two bodies on multiple websites the D750 is supposed to be an improvement almost all across the board. The tilting screen turned me off a bit but I do not have to use that feature, and maybe in crowds it could come in handy. I know I have maxed out the buffer on the D700 a few times in critical moments and I am not sure if the buffer of the D75's buffer has been expanded past the D700's. Another one of my concerns is that the D750 images might look different than the D700's due to the technology changes in the last few years, when covering the same event using both cameras. Any advice and reflection would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Brian Kirksey
http://www.briankirkseyphoto.com/Asignments

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM
photolove84
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

Hi Brian, this is Kim, Ray's wife. Is the d750 strong enough for what? As long as you aren't dropping the camera or banging into other photographers, I would say the d750 is plenty strong. However, the button layouts are a bit different and may be annoying to navigate switching back and forth between cameras. The D4 layout is definitely much closer matched to the d700. The d700 fps is 5, the d750 is 6.5 and the d4 is 11fps. As for color, either camera is going to be different than the d700, but fixable in lightroom. The only two cameras I've ever seen side by side not have differences in color and contrast, is so far the d750 to the d4s.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

I'm using a D810 and a D700. Similar layout and size, the D700 has a faster frame rate. Unfortunately, they use different batteries. Another, and less costly option, would be to simply add another D700. If you're happy with the one you have, I cannot see why not.

Dec 17, 2014 at 04:23 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

A good used D700 would cost you half of a new D750, you know the camera and there would be no need to adjust or struggle to make adjustments on the fly as there would with one D700 and one D750 where there is a noticeable difference in layout and menus. As Jorgen said - if you are happy with the D700 and don't need more MPs, then another D700 makes the most sense.

Dec 17, 2014 at 05:27 AM
Brian Kirksey
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

good used D700 would cost you half of a new D750

Yes I have often thought about this scenario. I was a little afraid to be left behind all the new technology improvements that have been made over the last few years. I have been using the D700 that I own currently for a little under a year and have grown a lot using it. I can see a gradual improvement over the life span of my live music gallery. I was hoping a newer Nikon body might add a bit of something more to my images, either clarity, detail, color, better ISO, etc. I am considering again another D700 body. I am not making a lot of money doing the live music shots, but it is exciting and fun so maybe investing in another used body (D700) makes financial sense too.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Eric_M_Klein
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

A used D3s would give you at least a stop better at hi is, and would be priced in the D750 range.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Brian Kirksey
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

I like the sound of a used D3s. Would the used D3s be a significant improvement vs my D700? I generally max my ISO on my D700 around 3200 in super low light. I know the D3s is capable of much higher ISO's than the D700. I know the D3s shoots way faster and most likely has a bigger buffer.

Dec 17, 2014 at 02:27 PM
Brian Kirksey
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

Talking with a few shops nearby and when comparing the used D3s or a new Nikon D750, they all seem to be pointing at the new D750 due to its newer Expeeed 4 processor and nice compact size. They even boast the image has a higher max resolution compared tot he D3s. So if you had the money and they both run about the same in $$$, which one of the two would you buy?

Again the most important thing to me is low light concerts. everything else is secondary.

Dec 17, 2014 at 02:44 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

Brian Kirksey wrote:
I like the sound of a used D3s. Would the used D3s be a significant improvement vs my D700? I generally max my ISO on my D700 around 3200 in super low light. I know the D3s is capable of much higher ISO's than the D700. I know the D3s shoots way faster and most likely has a bigger buffer.

I'm selling my D3s to get a D750. The fps aren't all that, I really miss the MP (my other camera is a D800E that I want to upgrade to a D810 for the quiet shutter). I love the D3s but the size, weight and low MP count detract. D750 all day every day unless you need the fps or the better weather sealing.

You can see the pros/cons for yourself here :

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D750-vs-Nikon_D3S

Dec 17, 2014 at 04:50 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

D750 over the D3s for low light capability, easy a stop. And D3s over the D700 by easy a stop. I've had/have all 3. The pro I second shoot weddings for sold his D4 and D3s for 2 D750s.
Get the 750 and, asap, sell the 700 and get a second 750.

Dec 17, 2014 at 05:05 PM
Brian Kirksey
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

Wow, incredible. Swapping out a D4 for D750's. Its hard to imagine a professional expensive camera as the D4 $6K+ replaced or out performed by a $2K Nikon D750.

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

that makes him a not so smart individual when he's backed in a corner.

these were shot in a really poorly lit club in NJ at between 18K-20K iso.

i was shooting from the back too.

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:34 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

Brian Kirksey wrote:
Wow, incredible. Swapping out a D4 for D750's. Its hard to imagine a professional expensive camera as the D4 $6K+ replaced or out performed by a $2K Nikon D750.

It all depends on the application, need, preferences and budget. The $1300 D800 outperforms the $6000 D4 in so many regards, but it doesn't mean it's a better camera in all applications

Dec 17, 2014 at 06:53 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

so many regards? i have a D810 and a D4s and previously a D4. no, not so many regards. i'm sorry to different types of horse races there. maybe in your world not in mine. it is dependent on your type of shooting. there are situations where the D8xx camera won't perform well. a D4 will still produce a accurate/sellable image in pretty much all situations. remember 16MP used to be the high point. i know its last years MP.

Edited on Dec 17, 2014 at 08:16 PM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2014 at 08:07 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

I also have a D800 and had a D4 and the D800 is a better camera when it comes to studio, landscape, travel, street and any any other application that requires heavy cropping, big printing, heavy PP or traveling light. That's how i felt at least.

The D4 is also a better is so many other regards particularly with fast action, crappy weather, low light, etc... Of course doesn't mean both aren't fine for any application.

Dec 17, 2014 at 08:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

well back then the D4 was easily cropped. on my D4s i still have no cropping issues in the way i shoot. in fact i don't have it with my D7000 either. traveling light i do a D7000. big prints aren't a real issue. thy have been doing them for years. studio? what was used just a few years ago?

i guess we all have our "perspectives".

Dec 17, 2014 at 08:24 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

Definitely, we all have our "perspectives". Why do we shoot with a 16mp when 6mp was also enough, why do we use a 11 FPS D4s when people used to be fine with much less, or much less ISO? You can crop a bird with D4s, yet you can crop even more with a D810. You can print great prints with 12mp but a print from a 36mp will look better particularly from a short distance. You're right though, it's all perspective

Edited on Dec 17, 2014 at 08:31 PM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2014 at 08:30 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

The only real advantage of the $2300 D750 camera over the $1500 D610 camera is the D750 has the more advanced autofocus system. The gain in AF performance buys you nothing with your shooting of musicians on a stage.

I have a D7100 and a D750 and the image quality is slightly better with the D7100. The D7100 also focuses better with low light and low contrast scenes than the D750 (or the D800e for that matter).

I would not worry about durability unless you are shooting outdoor events.

Dec 17, 2014 at 08:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

hijazist wrote:
Definitely, we all have our "perspectives". Why do we shoot with a 16mp when 6mp was also enough, why do we use a 11 FPS D4s when people used to be fine with much less, or much less ISO? You can crop a bird with D4s, yet you can crop even more with a D810. You can print great prints with 12mp but a print from a 36mp will look better particularly from a short distance. You're right though, it's all perspective

actually back in the day i was always shooting high frame rate cameras. shooting action a lot of the time.
high iso? i was shooting T-Max 3200 B/W at 4000 or Tri-X at 1600 back in the days of film. then i was shooting early 1DsII it was 3200 in color. squeezing in 42 shots on a roll with a loader. yep, we pushed with what we had. a lot of people went further too.

i like having choices and so do the editors. you shoot for pleasure. i'm hired to get the shot.

what i do end up with is more product that is usable today with somewhat less effort.

the D8xx lacks the overall latitude in usage.

Dec 17, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 2nd Nikon body choice.

Brian Kirksey wrote:
good used D700 would cost you half of a new D750

Yes I have often thought about this scenario. I was a little afraid to be left behind all the new technology improvements that have been made over the last few years. I have been using the D700 that I own currently for a little under a year and have grown a lot using it. I can see a gradual improvement over the life span of my live music gallery. I was hoping a newer Nikon body might add a bit of something more to my images, either clarity,
...Show more

I wouldn't be worried about being left behind, your images are incredible. I'm sure there would be improvements with a newer body, but you're seeing your images through the eye's of a seasoned photographer, and not the eye's of the average person.

Dec 17, 2014 at 09:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.