New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightroom Workflow

ASI Olyn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Workflow

Hello all.
I'm sure this has been discussed time & time again, but I didn't see anything that specifically answered my main question.
I am looking for a better way to speed up my work flow.
I shoot youth sports. On football game days, it's not uncommon to have 2200-2600 images for 4-5 games. For the leagues Superbowl day, we had 7400 images! (4 games!)

It seems my work flow isn't fast enough. and I feel like I could do it better/faster. Just don't know how.
I am open to any and all suggestions/ideas/thoughts.....
I have a couple of photographers who only have a 70-200/2.8 so I end up cropping 95% of their images as well as possibly adjusting for color...etc.

Currently, I Import, general color correct, Tag/crop, export.

I am running Lightroom 5.7

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2014 at 05:40 PM
dixonduke

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Workflow

You might look into Photo Mechanic, http://www.camerabits.com/

I am by no means an expert in it yet and I have only used it for a hand full of events but it has sped up my work flow considerably.

Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photo+mechanic+5+tutorial

Dec 14, 2014 at 05:56 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Workflow

If you're talking about general culling, LR is not very fast, IMO. Use something like Photo Mechanic (used by most pros). I use Nikon view nx, because it's free and I shoot Nikon.
As for cropping, unless they are all cropped the same and you can sync them, I don't see any other way.
If you find that auto correct works for your color, although I doubt it would, you could set that up as a develop preset that could be applied at import.

Dec 14, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Workflow

not wishing to splash out for Photo mechanic for the amount of times I need to put that many images into the computer and Cull I've found a couple of ways to speed things up in LR .

once the images are into LR I do a 1st pass cull . this gets rid of all the obvious rejects .
this is done by:

set the filter to only show unfledged images > press F to go to full screen > starting at the 1st image of the set press 'P' or 'X' . this flags each image as a pink or reject . as the filter is set to only show UN Flagged images setting either flag automatically brings on the next image . I can cull thru quite a few images in a few minutes (the thing that slows things down is me looking at the image) . pressing the 'space' bar takes you to 100% (or whatever the zoom mode is) .

after that i may do a 2nd pass to be a bit more critical and rate images (using stars) .

once I have my stared images I hive off all the non stared images to a different folder (so I can only view the pick/starred images) . I can then keyword these , first assigning more global KW's .

Cropping:
now if your workflow involves cropping 95% of the images you could do a master crop and then sync that crop onto all the other images . if as you cycle thru the images any crops are obviously wrong or need adjusting a little bit then a quick tap of that 'R' key takes you to the crop mode where you can move the crop box around within the image as you like .
tap enter to take you out of the crop mode and 'G' takes you back to grid in the Library mode .

Learning your Keyboard shortcuts speeds LR use up a lot

Dec 14, 2014 at 07:12 PM
MDelinquento
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Workflow

I think it would help me at least if you provided a few more facts about your requirements. I shoot youth soccer and have to deal with a few thousand images per weekend. I've also done a lot of big corporate events that have tighter turnaround times. LR has been working for me for many years. That said, I understand the value of a more specific browsing tool like Photo Mechanic.

The challenge is to discover what needs you have that would push a recommendation towards one tool or another as an initial step in sorting and culling.

Are the shots you are dealing with jpegs or raw files? How much cropping on average do you have to perform? What are the output or presentation requirements? (Print, newsmedia, online, production company)

Since you are complaining about time, what kind of production metric are you talking about? For every 1000 shots, how many make the final cutdown to usable shots? And how long does that take you to accomplish? You may be faster than you think . . .

M

Dec 14, 2014 at 08:26 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Workflow

Culling is culling, and post processing (PP) is PP'ng. The fastest culling most likely is PhotoMechanic which I use both for soccer at the pro and high school levels. ONLY after I've culled or simply tagged potentials do I import the tagged photos to LR for further evaluation, PP & final selection. Importing all +2200 to LR is very time consuming so if parring back is viable I would consider it.

The more you shoot the more you have to go through. Pure and simple. Heavy cropping due to reach challenged rigs is a bummer. Unfortunately the solution would require an investment in multiples of big fast glass

Same as others, not really enough info provided in your post to understand what your end state/goal is. Assuming its providing field side tournament photos?

Matt

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Mike Scott
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom Workflow

Why not just create a collection (or collections) for all your culled images? Much easier than keywording and creating new folders.

OP- why not color correct and crop a single image from the other photogs and copy and apply the edits to an entire set? You can keyword to indicate which images need cropping. You can "paint" keywords to many images at one to save time.

Dec 19, 2014 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.