Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

scottad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

Hi, I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions...

First off, I own a Sony A7-series camera. I like it in many ways, but please limit recommendations to DSLR's with an optical viewfinder. Also, I use live-view when it's practical. However, when I'm shooting without a tripod, I've found live view to be a pain to use for manual focusing.

Is there a consensus "best" (or "really good") DSLR camera setup for handheld manually focusing, through the optical viewfinder? Ideally full frame.

I use a variety of cameras, as well as a variety of AF and MF lenses. I don't have any issues focusing an 80/1.9 or 150/3.5 lens wide open on my medium format cameras (Mamiya 645 and others).

However, when I try to focus manually on my Canon 5Diii (for which it's my understanding that Canon doesn't make alternate focus screens), I find it very challenging to focus through the finder. I'm looking for something better, and I know it has to be out there... Like I said, I can accurately focus fast glass on medium format (with their nice large finders and focusing screens/aids). I'm happy with my 5Diii, but I'm open to other Canon (or Nikon) options (or possible modifications?)...

For those using fast glass on a 5Diii, are you able to get consistently accurate results focusing through the viewfinder using fast glass wide open (135/2 or similar) at short to medium distances? (I realize this is challenging due to thin DOF, but I can focus my medium format cameras with similarly thin DOF without much difficulty.) Any tips or possible modifications to the 5Diii? (I don't want to add a Zacuto or similar product to the LCD to use live view.)

The focusing screen Canon put in the 5Diii seems pretty awful for MF (compared to everything else I've used). If I spend a few minutes on each shot, I can get better results, but still not great. I'm mostly using lenses from 35mm-135mm, and generally focusing anywhere from minimum focus distance to 15ft (so close to medium distances).

Any thoughts or recommendations? How are the newer Nikon cameras (D750, Df, D810, etc) with manual focusing? Any Canon options that are significantly better than the 5Diii?

Thanks!!

Dec 14, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

The Canon 6D leads the pack for manual focusing with an optical viewfinder. Mostly because it has interchangeable focusing screens which allows you to use the eg-s super precision matte screen. On top of that it has great high iso performance, a sensor without banding issues of the 5D mk II and Canon has the slight edge over Nikon for adapting vintage lenses due to the registration distance. I hate EVF's and its my manual focusing camera of choice.

Dec 14, 2014 at 01:20 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

Are you sure you can't change screens on the 5DIII? Seems like people were changing screens on Canon bodies without interchangeable ones.

I got some cheap ones with matte microprism + split image rangefinder for a 5d and 40D from eBay from China. Probably something better out there.

Seems like screens were available for a 30D, which I don't think had interchangeable screens, so someone was changing them anyway.

Dec 14, 2014 at 01:28 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

I was through this a year ago with Nikon and finally gave up. I now have a Sony A7 for legacy FF glass. I have since sold all my Nikon gear and gone mirrorless. My understanding is still that the Canon super fine screen is the best screen for manual focus on a DSLR, so you want a camera that takes that screen. Also check out focusingscreen.com. They sell adapted scrrens too.

EOS 5d mark III has the best viewfinder magnification at 0.76x, which is also a factor for manual focusing with a DSLR OVF.

The Olympus OM-1 has 0.9x viewfinder magnification and the OM-4 0.84x. Just saying, there has unfortunately been a reversion in technology for the (D)SLR OVF. A better OVF might just have worked for me too.

Dec 14, 2014 at 01:50 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

A properly shimmed Eg-S screen in a 5D II works well for me - at least for fast glass like 35 1.4, 50 1.4 and 55 1.2. With longer focal lengths like 135 f2 or 180 2.8 I find it a bit harder but still get OK results. Where I have more difficulty is with wider, slower glass such as 35 f3.4 on the C/Y 35-70.

So I would first check whether there is a way to retrofit the 5DIII with an Eg-S screen or otherwise look for a 5D II or 6D.

What I like about the Eg-S screen is that I can focus pretty much anywhere in the frame. I might be slightly more accurate with a split-prism viewfinder but that precision is lost when you have to recompose for framing.

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:02 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

A quick google search turned up this:

http://brianymarsh.com/blog.html

This seems to suggest that you can install the Eg-S in the Mark III, even though this is not specified by Canon.
I see two potential problems that aren't addressed in the blog post:

1. If you need to fine tune the focusing screen it is not clear whether the same washers as in the 5D II can be used.
2. Metering - the 5D II has a menu item in which you can specify the focusing screen to adjust for differences in metering. Not sure whether this is present in the III, you may have to compensate exposure manually.

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:09 PM
RainDance
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

I used a 5d (1st version) before with the precision screen or whatever it was, worked nicely with the 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 lenses that I was using. Now I use a 1Ds and it is the same, if not better than the 5d with the screen for MF installed. I only have the stock screen for the 1Ds, and I am planning on buying the precision screen for it. The only thing I hate with MF ( I use the rokinon/samyang lenses) is the stop down metering, it makes the VF a bit darker (unless you use the Zeiss lenses I think).

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

Tarocco wrote:
The Canon 6D leads the pack for manual focusing with an optical viewfinder.

Huh? I guess I missed the survey.

Due to Canon's class of '09 DR and colour accuracy, I would recommend anything BUT a Canon at this point. The Nikon Df or D750 would be my tip.

But really, for manual focusing, EVFs are better. The Sony A7 series is the best at the moment, although my eyes are peeled for better cameras coming up, since I don't like the ergonomics and firmware that much.

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:00 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

You need a micro prism or split focusing screen and you are all set regardless what camera you have...assuming you can swap out a different focusing screen.

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:30 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

carstenw wrote:
Huh? I guess I missed the survey.

Due to Canon's class of '09 DR and colour accuracy, I would recommend anything BUT a Canon at this point. The Nikon Df or D750 would be my tip.

But really, for manual focusing, EVFs are better. The Sony A7 series is the best at the moment, although my eyes are peeled for better cameras coming up, since I don't like the ergonomics and firmware that much.

Sure, the Nikon sensors are better but without an appropriate focusing screen it seems like a moot point. Focus confirmation dots have just never worked for me but then again neither have EVF's so personal preferences come in to play. There is a vendor that sells modified Canon screens you can fit to the Nikon's which might be a workable solution.

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:42 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

Okay, but we just have different priorities. I would never give up 2-2.5 stops of DR at low ISO and accurate colour for more native focusing screen options. The Nikon screen is better for MF than the stock Canon screen, but not as good as the S variants, while remaining brighter than the latter, but there are third-party options to put them on parity there, and live view is still there.

Anyway, my bottom line is still that at 24-36MP and narrow depth of field, I simply can no longer reliably focus manually with an OVF, so it is EVF for me from here on in, at least on the 135 format. I hope that Nikon releases an A7 competitor, perhaps based on the D750, with a proper interface and better sensor cover glass. I would switch in a nanosecond.

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:46 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

I've found the 5D2 with the egs screen to be quite good for manual focus, with fast lenses, but not perfect. I don't know how it compares with other brands or bodies such as the 6d. Viewfinder magnification is the same on 6D and 5D2 (ie x .71), so I would guess the two are very similar.

As for focusing fast lenses, this depends on the lens as much as the camera. Some fast lenses are a bit soft wide open so you are using an inherently soft image to focus and this will always be difficult. On the other hand some fast lenses are extremely sharp and these are always much easier to focus. For example, my Leica R 80/1.4 is a little difficult to focus at 1.4 but very easy at F2.0 (because it is sharper at F2.0). Also, my Leica R 180/2.0 is razor sharp wide open so very easy to focus (my keeper rate with this lens on the 5d2 is extremely high).

Dec 14, 2014 at 04:44 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

carstenw wrote:
Okay, but we just have different priorities. I would never give up 2-2.5 stops of DR at low ISO and accurate colour for more native focusing screen options. The Nikon screen is better for MF than the stock Canon screen, but not as good as the S variants, while remaining brighter than the latter, but there are third-party options to put them on parity there, and live view is still there.

Anyway, my bottom line is still that at 24-36MP and narrow depth of field, I simply can no longer reliably focus manually with an OVF, so it is EVF for
...Show more

the OP asked about ease of manual focusing though, not which camera is the best compromise of features.

if it needs an optical viewfinder the best dslr for manual focusing is the a900 with precision matte screen. unfortunately it's difficult to mount a lot of manual focus glass on that camera and it's like 6 year old tech.

the current dslr with the easiest manual focus is the 6D with the precision matte screen.

if you are willing to try changing out screens in other cameras that claim not to allow it maybe those would be better (i don't know).

i do find manual focusing much easier on the a7 than the a900 or 6D though, even with fast moving kids.

Dec 14, 2014 at 05:15 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

The D700 is the best DSLR I've ever used for manual focus. Incredible precision and an incredibly simple indicator system.

Dec 14, 2014 at 06:13 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

The D700 has only 12 mp which is less demanding than 36 mp as far as manual focusing is concerned. For the D700 it is also possible to get a Katzeye screen.

Dec 14, 2014 at 06:48 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

I had the 5DII and the eg-s screen, but, after trying MF on mirrorless, those ended up in the B&S forum.

Dec 14, 2014 at 08:17 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

I have the a900. best OVF.

Dec 14, 2014 at 08:58 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

Yeah, the a900 has a fantastic OVF, particularly with the "M" screen. If you chip your adapted lenses, you can use the IBIS of SteadyShot which, while not five-axis, can come in handy. It's not the easiest mount to adapt to, though. If you're only interested in M42 lenses, you're set. There are plenty of cheap adapters and I don't think there's many M42 lenses it won't work with. Anything else, if possible, requires greater expense and a willingness to either invest in doing it yourself or hiring the work out. It's also best kept at low ISO's, depending on how much noise you're willing to deal with. It's a pleasantly simple camera, and a bargain at the going used rates, but it is old tech and it's very noisy (the mirror slap heard 'round the world). It'll end your complaints about live view, though, since there is no such thing on the a900.

If you want a camera that can take a lot more lenses using simple adapters, stick with Canon. I haven't used or touched the 6D, but at least it has replaceable screens. Their best OVFs are on the 1D-series cameras. If you can take the weight of a DsIII, you might want to check it out. I've seen some incredible prices on low-milage DsIII's lately.

Dec 14, 2014 at 09:59 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

scottad wrote:
Also, I use live-view when it's practical. However, when I'm shooting without a tripod, I've found live view to be a pain to use for manual focusing.

May I ask why? I haven't tried an A7 series camera yet, but the consensus on this forum is pretty much that the EVF it's great for manual focusing. I don't see why you'd need to be in a tripod. Do you wear glasses and do you have trouble using the EVF because of limited eye relief or something like that?

Optical viewfinders are nice for many things, but ease and accuracy of manual focusing is not one of them, IMO.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recommended (or "best") DSLR for manual focus?

I can't compare brands, as I stick to Nikon SLRs. But I do use manual focus almost entirely, because for me it's always seemed easier and simpler than messing with autofocus.

One tip I'd strongly recommend: Add a Nikon DK17m 1.2x magnifying eyepiece. Not to be mistaken for a bulky, higher-powered magnifier, this eyepiece makes the image 20 percent larger, and crops the edges a bit. This makes manual focus much easier.

The link also shows the Nikon DK-19 rubber eyecup, which I also use.

--Chris

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.