New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How to this style with an external flash

davidbasik

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to this style with an external flash

A friend of mine uses one flash from the hotshot to achieve this look. Which settings do I need to set my camera and flash to achieve this look.

http://instagram.com/p/wkNOr4Lw3h/

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM
jjlad

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to this style with an external flash

If ttl just slow the shutter down to 1/60th or less to blow out the background, point right at her and set your flash compensation to over expose by about a stop and a half and you should have it. Alternately, you could probably read the exposure off the dark sweater since it seems to be correctly exposed in both shots. I'm sure that will be a stop and a half or so more than her face. Make sure you shoot RAW in either scenario, in case you have to dial it back a little in post.
With things like this ...just doing it is the best way to learn. Not like you need to wait for the slides.
I guess the third option is to ask your friend how he did it.

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:48 PM
davidbasik

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to this style with an external flash

Thank you for your help. I will try this.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to this style with an external flash

Mixture of flash and post, usually upping contrast and clarity and depending on which on camera flash photographer/style you're going after...playing with reds and blues, and maybe some hue/sat adjustments.

Oh, and overexpose the shot 2/3-1stop (although if shooting RAW this too can be done in post).

Or if you just want it straight out of camera shoot jpgs, tweak colors to your liking (when I shot Canon I'd do this in Vivid mode, sharpening turned up a notch or two) and overexpose with your flash in manual mode.

Dec 15, 2014 at 07:20 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.