New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Paypal ID verification

uroman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paypal ID verification

I had not used paypal in a long time, and during a recent transaction, was told to call paypal and send in a copy (jpeg) of my photo ID.

It seems like these emails are legitimate, from the paypal website.

How do i find out if this is a scam? I am fearful of using paypal, and I am not well versed in this kind of thing, but I have never had to send a photo ID to paypal ever before in the 10 years I have used them. Odd?

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:42 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paypal ID verification

Call them and find out. Some banks who have been victims of fraud are escalating I.D. protection for their customers. Your account, due to it's inactivity, has probably been temporarily suspended. Call them and get the details. Just confirm that you're actually calling Paypal and ask them what they need and why.

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:15 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paypal ID verification

How??

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:46 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paypal ID verification

How what?

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paypal ID verification

Edited on Dec 14, 2014 at 02:00 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paypal ID verification

uroman wrote:
I had not used paypal in a long time, and during a recent transaction, was told to call paypal and send in a copy (jpeg) of my photo ID.

It seems like these emails are legitimate, from the paypal website.

How do i find out if this is a scam? I am fearful of using paypal, and I am not well versed in this kind of thing, but I have never had to send a photo ID to paypal ever before in the 10 years I have used them. Odd?

It's a scam, for sure...

Turns out, it's not a scam.

Edited on Dec 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2014 at 05:42 PM
uroman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paypal ID verification

Thanks. I told the seller that I would not be able to buy the lens until this is sorted, and encouraged him/her to repost the lens. I hope i didn't inconvenience him. I will have to call paypal this week. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dec 13, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paypal ID verification

Edited on Dec 14, 2014 at 02:00 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2014 at 06:58 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Paypal ID verification

Sarsfield wrote:
How what?

The poster has no idea HOW to contact a company for a fraudulent scheme Would not have the thought to contact PayPal directly versus a post? That was what I was referring to. Should have made it more clear..Jim has it correct(jcowell).
That is part of the problem as to why so many people get scammed! People must become more proactive these days in policing their accounts. 1st person to contact should have been PP not FM.
Dan

Edited on Dec 14, 2014 at 09:52 AM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2014 at 09:15 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Paypal ID verification

Sarsfield wrote:
Despite Dan's stern, but misinformed warning, Paypal does sometimes ask for photo ID. Here's a nice thread over at the Paypal Community forum which has a few comments from a Paypal employee explaining why this is. You are not alone and this is most likely not a fraud, despite what Dan seems to think.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Limits-and-verification/Request-for-Photo-ID-and-proof-of-address/td-p/717679?profile.language=en-gb

Thanks for the slam! Appreciate your mis informed remarks a.h Where did I say asking for an id was not likely?? A.Ho!!!

Edited on Dec 14, 2014 at 07:51 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2014 at 09:16 AM
PatrickDixon10
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Paypal ID verification

Sarsfield wrote:
Despite Dan's stern, but misinformed warning, Paypal does sometimes ask for photo ID. Here's a nice thread over at the Paypal Community forum which has a few comments from a Paypal employee explaining why this is. You are not alone and this is most likely not a fraud, despite what Dan seems to think.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Limits-and-verification/Request-for-Photo-ID-and-proof-of-address/td-p/717679?profile.language=en-gb

Boy Sarsfield, looks like you are misinformed. You deduced this from dan's post? Then slam him without verifying his intent?? Wow Happy Holidays to you also!
Go back to bed!
So you validify the poster's lack of "follow up" as affirmation that Dan is misinformed and Dan's inquiry as to why the poster didnot call PP himself?
Patrick

Dec 14, 2014 at 09:25 AM
bf5hpjg
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Paypal ID verification

Sarsfield wrote:
In case Dan was trying to figure out how to confirm you're actually talking to Paypal:

http://bit.ly/1vMx3DU

Just use that number to call them.

I don't think Dan needs your condecending help! Look at his feedback and his payment meethods... you got an axe to grind Patrick?
Seems Dan's explanation about poster being proactive in his account is better than slamming Dan for his question as to why a long timer didn't have contact with PP 1st instead of a post. I don't get anything out of Dan's "HOW" (it is in the OP's post)reply to the OP's than constructive criticism.
Guess your fingers engage b4 your brain!?? Love that hide button!!
Angelo

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Paypal ID verification

Happy Holidays!

Edited on Dec 14, 2014 at 02:01 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Paypal ID verification

Thanks for the lecture, Mitesh. Yeah, my bad. I'm done here. Sorry to all offended.

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:00 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Paypal ID verification

Sarsfield wrote:
Thanks for the lecture, Mitesh.

You're welcome.

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:17 PM
PatrickDixon10
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Paypal ID verification

Sarsfield
Total Posts: 1657

[Post icon] Re: Paypal ID verification

In case Dan was trying to figure out how to confirm you're actually talking to Paypal:

http://bit.ly/1vMx3DU

Just use that number to call them.

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:58 PM
[Patrick Sarsfield Cameras & lots of unused lenses and miscellaneous camera crap.] Send email Send PM View recent posts Add Sarsfield to your Buddy List View uploads

Sarsfield

Man, do people even read the posts in this thread? Here is what Dan told the OP:

It's a scam, for sure.

He then proceeds to tell him "DO NOT SEND THEM ANYTHING" despite the FACT that the OP indicated that the ID request came DURING a recent transaction attempt. This is the method that Paypal uses (if anyone checked the link I provided) to verify ID of dormant account users or accounts that are not alternately funded. Any quick Google search would have given the OP and/or Dan this information. So, I responded to Dan's MISINFORMED response with a very succinct reply.

I was not rude nor did I slam him. So please, ignore me if you wish but I really wish people would read the posts in a thread before ignorantly coming to the defense of a person who was just totally wrong.

Happy Holidays!

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM
[Patrick Sarsfield Cameras & lots of unused lenses and miscellaneous camera crap.] Send email Send PM View recent posts Add Sarsfield to your Buddy List View uploads

Sarsfield

Real c.s way out! Glad Mitesh illustrated the point. See some of my remarks got deleted..to bad hope he read them b4 they did.

all

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:00 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Paypal ID verification

Given that one of your remarks that was deleted was a nasty term for Americans in general and written as a jibe against all Americans perhaps it's better if he did not. There is no excuse for xenophobia and that kind of name calling.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Paypal ID verification

In the early days Paypal required a link to a bank account --- but as the years passed and cyber-crime soared I became increasingly concerned.

And I tired of constantly being dragged through the loop to change payments from the default (bank account) to my credit card.

Meanwhile cyber-crime when from a serious threat to an epidemic.

Recently removed my bank account from Paypal --- I don't doubt they would make good on covering any losses, but I'm not sure I could afford the time needed for them to investigate, process and approve the claim.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM
uroman
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Paypal ID verification

RESOLUTION: I actually did have to send paypal an ID. My account was opened back up. I had tried the account from a new computer and hadn't sent money in 6 months, so they issued these security measures.

I feel terrible for the gentleman or lady whose lens i wished to buy, but I guess this is the electronic world.

Learning point - does it really take a day for paypal to clear, when you send someone money? INthis case, I sent the money but it wasn't reversed until a day later. What if the seller had sent the lens? I worry about this scenario.

I dont understand all the nuances of paypal, but there is just so much opportunity for fraud.

Dec 19, 2014 at 05:44 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Paypal ID verification

RESOLUTION: I actually did have to send paypal an ID.

Gee, really? Shocking.

Dec 19, 2014 at 01:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.