Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2014 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

JVthePT wrote:
I believe that is true. I will say after shooting a swim meet yesterday with the sulfur lighting that cycles and creates such a drastic color balance from shot to shot, the 7dII's anti flicker (or whatever it's called) sounds very interesting. Also the weather sealing sounds nice for that environment. Lot's of splash potential there.

Much as I love 1D-series, I think the 7D2 would be perfect for you. I'm thinking later of upgrading my 60D to the 7D2, not for the sports/wildlife, but just because of the improvements in other areas. For you, I'm sure you'd see more gains over the 1D4. Plus, you'll have full warranty for a year.

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

I cannot speak for why there are so many 5D3s for sale. I would speculate that it is largely due to the age of the camera and the idea that there may be an impending replacement. Every day that goes by and it isn't replaced, is one day closer to that replacement. With that said, we have not been told of any replacement, at least not that I know of. This is not an indication of the capability of the 5D3. A magic date didn't just happen and render the camera useless. Some folks switched the to D750, but there's some that have switched back as well.

Regarding the merging of a line, the potential replacements, the product lines...I know where I want to be at. I know the 5d3 does about 90% of what I want. I miss on key features;
1:I hate the mode dial
2:I dislike having to plug a grip onto the camera and the "oh by the smaller body" arguments aren't winning me over. I don't take the grip off of the camera, so the "benefit" of the camera being smaller is non-existent to me.
3:I dislike spot metering not linked to AF point. This is almost criminal in my book. I "think" the 7D2 has it...why didn't the 5D3 get it? How annoying!
4:6FPS...I know that 6 is good and it is pushing a large file- but 8 would have been the sweet spot for me. I understand Canon doesn't care about "my" individual needs and since the camera hits the majority of the high points, well...you get the idea.
5urability. The X is rated for much more abuse than the 5D3. That's a fact.
6:High ISO IQ. In Canon's line up, only the X beats the 5D3.
7:Low light AF. Again 1DX.
8:Buffer- 5d3 buffer when not using the SD card is good...with the sd card...bad. I want to write to both cards! Why give me two slots if one of them is a turd!

I'd like to be able to push a botched exposure's shadows more than 2 stops without banding. I think it behooves me to make sure that my exposures are more accurate. I understand others are using that to be able to getperfect exposures of their skies (750 users) and then bringing up the faces of their subjects.

I don't see Canon giving me all of the features I want in a body in less than the top end camera. A lot of working pros will buy 2 of a body. So essentially working pros are worth 2 sales of a body. They socked me for 4 1DIVs (I bought three used, one refurb, so I really didn't help them there, and I bought all of my 1DIIIs used). They did sock me for a lens system- and for 2 5D3s...and grips...and a lot of batteries! Lol

I'd like more for my money but I don't see me getting it.
I also see no reason to sell my 5D3s, even if there is a lot for sale.

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

JVthePT wrote:
I'm currently selling my 70d and my 6d in order to fund either a 7dII, 1dIV or 5dIII. While scouring through the classifieds here and POTN, I noticed a lot more 5dIII's than I usually see for sale and many at the lowest prices I've seen.
What's driving this? The new 7dII? People jumping ship to Nikon or Sony?
Oh, and if anyone has suggestions for one of the 3 cameras Im interested in, feel free to offer it, I'll take all the input I can get.

It's obvious. Because Alpa has some amazing instruments on offer and Leica introduced a new film M. Just logic.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM
JVthePT
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Herb1911 wrote:
It's obvious. Because Alpa has some amazing instruments on offer and Leica introduced a new film M. Just logic.

Oh, how did I NOT see that, it's clear as can be now!

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:04 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

I don't think Canon will chose to go head to head with the 810 (or A7r) with the 5D4. Lower resolution (but more than the token improvement with the 5D3) but better action performance (ie, improvements with high ISO, AF, and fps). I'm thinking a ~30MP camera with 7 or 8fps. Fix the little issues with AF and add dual pixel. Spot metering linked to AF point. No more banding when pushing files. Improved weather sealing. No 4k video and I'll leave it at that as I don't know enough about video.

This isn't my wish list necessarily, but I think it's the modest evolutionary improvement we can expect at this point. I think Canon will address high res with a professional camera in the 50MP range. I'd like to see some sort of removable back here, but I doubt it. Give the 6D2 a flip screen, a slight resolution bump, and a modest AF improvement. I don't think there is much need for a 1DX2 to have a ton more resolution than now, especially if they add a high res pro body. It will likely stay around 20MP and add speed and ISO improvements.

I think Canon actually responded pretty well to the needs of 5D2 users with the 5D3, though it wasn't earth shattering or mind blowing. Seems to me that most folks complained about AF and build with the 5D2. Resolution only really became an issue when the grass got greener on the other side. But in actuality, I think the 5D3 was the D700 replacement that Nikon users never really got (there is now a 750, but it's in a downgrade of a body). A better overall camera than the 800 (i have used both--the 800 was a slug), though with the 810, the 5D3 is starting to look a bit longer in the tooth.

As far as mirrorless, I think Canon is probably developing something but is kind of in wait and see mode---watching the smaller manufacturers to see what sticks and what doesn't. I think they are actually positioned pretty well once they decide to enter the market for real (the M doesn't count).

Dec 14, 2014 at 02:46 PM
technic
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

sb in ak wrote:
I don't think Canon will chose to go head to head with the 810 (or A7r) with the 5D4. Lower resolution (but more than the token improvement with the 5D3) but better action performance (ie, improvements with high ISO, AF, and fps). I'm thinking a ~30MP camera with 7 or 8fps. Fix the little issues with AF and add dual pixel. Spot metering linked to AF point. No more banding when pushing files. Improved weather sealing. No 4k video and I'll leave it at that as I don't know enough about video.

This isn't my wish list necessarily, but
...Show more

If they really have a 50MP sensor, hopefully with much improved DR as well, IMHO it would make more sense to use it in a 6D2 type camera that is more for landscape/architecture/travel/studio shots, and not for high speed action, sports etc. like the 5D3 and 1DX series. After all, double the MP number with low framerate (like 6D) is possible with current technology, while High MP with high framerate requires an upgrade of much of the imaging/storage pipeline. The action crowd does not want more MP or DR anyway, judging from many forum post and people who want more MP and DR usually don't need high framerates.

If Canon wants to sell that rumored 50MP sensor in a very expensive high end 1D series model only, good luck to them. It won't take long before Sony and Nikon have 50MP cameras at much lower price levels.

As for the 6D, in Europe the price hasn't changed a bit over the last year because of the new price policy; it's even more expensive here than in 2013, while prices of competitors (A7 series, D610/750) have become even more competitive. 6D is only good value for money if you are locked into the Canon ecosystem and don't look at what is available outside. They either have to upgrade the specs or lower the price significantly.

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:12 PM
howard
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Hmm ... Now that this thread has fully evolved (devolved?) to a speculation thread, I wish to chime in:

I had my sight on the 7D II as my main wildlife camera. However I got a 70D in a good deal as a stop -gap camera. Now what if the next 5D IV had the same AF capability of the 5D III or 7D II and a 50mp sensor? That will give it the same pixel density as the 7D II hence equal or better (assuming evolutionary improvement) ISO performance. That would indeed be the best of both worlds -- high pixel density and FF coverage. It would be my last camera for some time

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:24 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

technic wrote:
If they really have a 50MP sensor, hopefully with much improved DR as well, IMHO it would make more sense to use it in a 6D2 type camera that is more for landscape/architecture/travel/studio shots, and not for high speed action, sports etc. like the 5D3 and 1DX series. After all, double the MP number with low framerate (like 6D) is possible with current technology, while High MP with high framerate requires an upgrade of much of the imaging/storage pipeline. The action crowd does not want more MP or DR anyway, judging from many forum post and people who want more
...Show more

I don't think a professional body necessarily translates to a 1D series body (note that I didn't actually call it a 1D ). I actually don't believe Canon will build a second type of "1D" series body as they just merged those lines (well, they might, but they won't call it a 1D). In my perfect world, they'd build a 5D series pro body (or similar) to a 1D series build spec with a 50MP sensor. Position the price in between the 5D series and 1D series form factors. This would not only target the crowd wanting high res but also appeal to those who want a "small" form factor camera that you can hammer nails with. Give it a nice grip for those who want large.

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:25 PM
bridow
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

You are probably just noticing the 5D3 sales now because it's on your mind. I never noticed Volvos on the road and when I started driving one, I saw them everywhere. Same thing...Occam's razor

Dec 14, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Been reading those famous words from various sources on FM since 2003 and they're all still around and I reckon they're not using their 10D anymore

howard wrote:
It would be my last camera for some time

Dec 14, 2014 at 04:06 PM
howard
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Emile Gregoire wrote:

Been reading those famous words from various sources on FM since 2003 and they're all still around and I reckon they're not using their 10D anymore

I reserve the right to define "some time".

Dec 14, 2014 at 04:24 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

popinvasion wrote:
I understand it. I just think that 3 years ago there wasn't all of these alternatives. I'm not saying I won't purchase said brick I'm just saying that things have dramatically changed in 3 years, and in another 3 years they will change even more. New cameras will need to be more and more competitive in features, build, performance, IQ, etc. That's all I'm saying and I believe it.

The Nikon D4s just caught up to the 1DX but that's about it. I don't see any other body out there that can touch the 1DX for day to day event coverage. Maybe Sony's rumored A9 will do it, or a D5 as Nikon seems to want to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks lately. Who knows.

I am hoping for the 1DX2 to match the 1D4's pixel density at 27MP, offer true 14FPS, with equivalent high ISO or better. I'd pay $6500+ for that.

Dec 14, 2014 at 06:45 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.