Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

JVthePT
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

I'm currently selling my 70d and my 6d in order to fund either a 7dII, 1dIV or 5dIII. While scouring through the classifieds here and POTN, I noticed a lot more 5dIII's than I usually see for sale and many at the lowest prices I've seen.
What's driving this? The new 7dII? People jumping ship to Nikon or Sony?
Oh, and if anyone has suggestions for one of the 3 cameras Im interested in, feel free to offer it, I'll take all the input I can get.

Dec 13, 2014 at 02:20 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

5D3 expiry date is near and all the 5D3s in the world will self dysfunction very soon so people getting rid of it ASAP I am selling mine too

Dec 13, 2014 at 02:30 PM
stockshas
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Maybe its not taking good pictures anymore ...

I'd hold on to the 70D and 6D if I were you. Both very good cameras individually and more so as a pair. But if weather sealing or better build quality is what you are going for with very good IQ - I'd go with the 5D3. Feel that's the most all round camera of the three you list.

Dec 13, 2014 at 02:33 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

What exactly are the 70D and 6D combination not doing for you? The proposed changes won't net you much if any gain in IQ. I hope you are not left with only one body.

EBH

Dec 13, 2014 at 02:35 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

JVthePT wrote:
I'm currently selling my 70d and my 6d in order to fund either a 7dII, 1dIV or 5dIII. While scouring through the classifieds here and POTN, I noticed a lot more 5dIII's than I usually see for sale and many at the lowest prices I've seen.
What's driving this? The new 7dII? People jumping ship to Nikon or Sony?
Oh, and if anyone has suggestions for one of the 3 cameras Im interested in, feel free to offer it, I'll take all the input I can get.

I think that the explanation for the eventual "Why are these so many X's for sale?" posts is simple, for the most part.

1. When a camera is first introduced there are almost none for sale on the used market for obvious reasons. As time goes on, there are simply more copies of the camera out there and the used market continues to grow as long as the camera remains in production.

2. At the point that a replacement model (or extremely compelling alternative) is likely to be introduced, and especially when it actually is introduced, the number of people upgrading increases the number of units for sale on the used market.

In addition, it is a natural feature of markets that as the average age of the units increases, as more of them are available, and as the price of new units decreases (as it has most certainly done with the 5D3) the used prices will continue to decline. That is true of computers, cars, cameras, you name it.

At this point, I think that the major explanation for whatever number of 5D3 you see on the market is the first one listed above.

Dan

Edited on Dec 13, 2014 at 07:36 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2014 at 02:45 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

I use the 70D/6D combo and it's a keeper. The 5D3 was attempting but I greatly preferred the smaller form factor and weight of the 6D, not to mention the slightly better IQ in low light. However those 5D3 fire sales are probably at least partially due to the rumors of Canon's massive sized CMOS FF on the horizon.

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Gochugogi wrote:
I use the 70D/6D combo and it's a keeper. The 5D3 was attempting but I greatly preferred the smaller form factor and weight of the 6D, not to mention the slightly better IQ in low light. However those 5D3 fire sales are probably at least partially due to the rumors of Canon's massive sized CMOS FF on the horizon.

You see a medium format Canon, seriously

EBH

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:17 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Dan already summarized the likely reasons above. I'd say the prospect of a new 5D model is also a reason for increased sales. Once a new model is released, the previous one almost immediately drops in value.

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Gochugogi wrote:
...rumors of Canon's massive sized CMOS FF on the horizon.

EB-1 wrote:
You see a medium format Canon, seriously

I figure if you substitute, "number of pixels" for "sized", you'd be on the right track.

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:34 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

If rumors are true, Canon has or will be reducing price by ~$300 in few days and there are ongoing heavy MIRs. Canon has also reduced refurb price to ~$2500

Considering how well Canon kept its high price, people might be taking this as indication of MK IV launch around the corner. Which can possibly trigger pre-emptive sale before price drops drastically due to MK IV launch.

Just my take

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:47 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Dan's point are all logical. You're going to see a lot more Toyota Camrys for sale than you will a less common Lexus.

That said, the camera market today is considerably different from even a couple years ago. If you ignore technical factors such as FF vs. APS-C and instead consider overall system capability, there are a lot of compelling cameras out there now from the likes of Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji that will satisfy the needs of many photographers, even though Canon (and Nikon) may still offer the most comprehensive systems. Size and weight reductions for comparable capability are also very tempting for many. And many of those cameras also offer superior video capability, which was an early 5DII and perhaps 5DIII competitive advantage.

With the 5DIII being such a good camera for many applications, it naturally has a wide ranging audience. There are likely a multitude of reasons people bought them, but are now moving to something else.

Dec 13, 2014 at 03:55 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Sagar wrote:
If rumors are true, Canon has or will be reducing price by ~$300 in few days and there are ongoing heavy MIRs. Canon has also reduced refurb price to ~$2500

Considering how well Canon kept its high price, people might be taking this as indication of MK IV launch around the corner. Which can possibly trigger pre-emptive sale before price drops drastically due to MK IV launch.

Just my take

That's interesting. I haven't been keeping on top of this aspect. Right before a launch might be the worst time to unload a camera, for the reasons given. There's the significant manufacturer's discount and the depressed used prices due to more supply. I guess it's a bit of a risk. If the new camera is clearly superior and competitively priced, 5DIII prices could tank even more. But if the new camera is not so warmly received, priced too high, etc., some unloading 5DIIIs may regret it, demand may increase and the price rebound slightly. Here I'm thinking somewhat about the Nikon D700. But maybe the 5DIII isn't that unique?

Could it be possible that Canon is repositioning the 5DIII to compete more against the D750 on price and bring in a new camera to compete in the $3500-4000 range?

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:04 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Great points, especially those brought up by Dan.
As for my desire to change, I would like weather sealing and a larger buffer, even with a fast card my 70d does start to slow down rather quickly.
I'd like to have single point expansion mode. And as much as many folks don't recommend it, I'd like to get down to a single body. I was happier when all I had was the 60d and some lenses.
Also still having some focus issues/IQ issues between the 70d and the Tamron 150-600. Some shots are sharp and clear and contrasty and some are not. Mostly with tracking moving objects like eagles in flight, and yes it has the firmware update.

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Exactly my reason for selling my last 5D II and getting a 5D III. The III has everything I need at this point in time and once the IV comes out (probably with more megapixels than I need and a higher price for at least a year than I'm willing to pay) I expect the resale value of the II to plummet while the III is on sale right now at one of the major e-tailers over here.

Gochugogi wrote:

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

jcolwell wrote:
I figure if you substitute, "number of pixels" for "sized", you'd be on the right track.

Or we can say massively smaller pixels.

EBH

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:59 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

several people are switching to the Nikon D750 or to a mirrorless system as wel...

Dec 13, 2014 at 05:02 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

The only place I browse is here on FM so consider this a sample limited observation (but) if you think there are a lot of 5DIIIs on the market, try looking at 1DIVs. That market is pretty crowded right now too owing in no small part to the release of the 7DII...

Dec 13, 2014 at 05:18 PM
rittrato
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Exact opposite here, after using several Nikon bodies, I'm coming back to the 5D3 simply because it offers the best of both worlds for me, and with the price now dipping the lower $2000 price range for almost new bodies, it's a no brainer.

Dec 13, 2014 at 05:33 PM
rittrato
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

Exact opposite here, after using several Nikon bodies, I'm coming back to the 5D3 simply because it offers the best of both worlds for me, and with the price now dipping the lower $2000 price range for almost new bodies, it's a no brainer.

Dec 13, 2014 at 05:33 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why so many 5d3's for sale?

rittrato wrote:

Where? I want one if that's the case!

Dec 13, 2014 at 05:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.