New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Backdrop on location / bunching up

JimmyJames
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backdrop on location / bunching up

i have a question about preventing a backdrop from bunching up. In doing a session with around 150 gymnasts doing a couple of poses each, I keep having problems with the background bunching up. I taped the edges but I still have the problem.

Going quick is important so spending time tweaking it for each gymnast isn't possible. Many times it is fine but as they wiggle into their pose, it bunches up like in the example. What are my options? I'm shooting on location.

Dec 13, 2014 at 02:11 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backdrop on location / bunching up

Use paper

Dec 13, 2014 at 04:32 PM
jjlad

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backdrop on location / bunching up

Paper is best for avoiding wrinkles. If you must use the drop, make sure it is pulled taut to the stands in several places and start that process by pulling diagonally opposite corners first.
Then when shooting, ensure the subjects are a good distance from the drop and move your lights to the side a bit to minimize spill onto the background. Use as high a shutter speed as possible as well, to reduce the ambient light contribution to the shot.
Doing all that should result in well lit subjects and the backdrop serving as just that, without becoming so prominent it gets 'discussed''

Dec 14, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backdrop on location / bunching up

A few things to think about: First, the backdrop you're using is very busy, and not very flattering as a floor for your subjects. So one thing I'd do with this backdrop is shoot very low to the ground, to minimize the backdrop floor as much as possible.

Second, the gymnasts' "wiggling into their poses" is the cause of the problem. I shoot young dancers in this situation all the time, and I simply suggest different poses that don't require as much movement of the foot or feet to achieve the pose I (or they) want. If they can't get to a pose without "wiggling", the pose probably isn't all that great to begin with. I always tell them that I'd rather they do something they can do perfectly than something difficult they can't really pull off. After all, in the photograph, they'll always find the flaws first, so just avoid them by being "perfect". That usually gets them thinking in the right direction.

But the problem you describe does happen more often than I'd like, so I wind up trying to blend out the "bunches" by using the clone stamp tool with a moderate opacity, or I might use content aware fill. That process is by far the greatest investment in processing time, especially in a large studio shoot, and can be very frustrating. I can tape the muslin floor fifteen ways from Sunday and it will always stretch to some degree under these circumstances. So my first option is to use a backdrop that is less busy, whether lighter or darker. In a studio with lots of little kids, I usually go for a pearl backdrop and go for a bright, snappy look. If the dancers are older, I'll go with gray and use lighting strategies to either go light or darker.

Hope this helps.

Dec 15, 2014 at 02:28 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backdrop on location / bunching up

This may not work for you but I have a sheet of plexiglas, 1/8" thick which I use over paper, vinyl or a muslin when I can. It keeps things tidy. Its not going to work in every case or instance but its one way to keep things neater.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backdrop on location / bunching up

As others have said, your best bet is seamless paper. Bring two rolls just in case. If you choose a nice neutral gray like Thunder or Fashion gray you don't have to worry about it clashing with any of the models clothes. My daughter is a dancer and I always cringe when I see one of their photographers using an ugly Muslin BG that clashes with their costumes.

Dec 16, 2014 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.