Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/11/cinema-eos-mark-end-high-spec-canon-dslr-video/

Dec 12, 2014 at 06:14 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

I should add that with ML hack and if you can deal with shooting raw video, the 5D3 with ML RAW does produce a very nice quality 1080p. It's pretty awesome. And ML allows enough features to make shooting it reasonable (peaking and focusing) unlike the stock cam where focusing is a total disaster, etc.

So ML has saved the day to an extent. But only for 5D3 owners who are willing and able to deal with raw shooting. For those it is awesome for 1080p. But it was not a plan from Canon to give 5D3 awesome quality, it was just the luck of a hack that saved the 5D3 and made it a classic for 1080p.

Dec 12, 2014 at 06:20 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

I'm looking forward to what ML can do with the 7D II. Just loaded it up on my 6D and EOS-M (which seems buggy) to see how far they've progressed.

I'm still a bit in awe that they didn't improve the video quality with the 7D II and left off the touch-screen, and didn't ensure that DPAF, Servo, and All-I would work at 1080p/60.

Dec 12, 2014 at 06:26 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

It's a fairly negative article, and I don't know about video to make any comments in that arena. But I'll make a few comments where I do have experience:

35 f/2 IS sales: This was a lens that Canon vastly overpriced at the outset, even without the Sigma 35 art in there. It didn't sell because it was obvious to everyone it was a ripoff at the original price--not that people are switching brands. It is now priced more at where it should be and is now selling as far as I know.

Stills: I think that Canon needs a solid mirrorless entry, but I don't think its as dire as he says. I think most folks are taking issue with Canon's somewhat inferior sensor technology and are switching to mirrorless (A7 series) simply because their lenses will work with AF. If you could mount an EF lens on a D810 and retain AF, people would be doing that too. There is also an inherent assumption here that mirrorless is superior to DSLR, and while there are some arguments that could be made either way, it sort of boils down to personal preference. There are a lot of pros for mirrorless, but the lack of a optical viewfinder and battery performance are dealbreakers for some.

Dec 12, 2014 at 06:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

sb in ak wrote:
It's a fairly negative article, and I don't know about video to make any comments in that arena. But I'll make a few comments where I do have experience:

35 f/2 IS sales: This was a lens that Canon vastly overpriced at the outset, even without the Sigma 35 art in there. It didn't sell because it was obvious to everyone it was a ripoff at the original price--not that people are switching brands. It is now priced more at where it should be and is now selling as far as I know.

Stills: I think that Canon needs
...Show more

Yeah I think it's more the sensor in the Sony that is getting (the stills) people than that they are mirrorless (although there are those who do like mirrorless for itself). And yeah if the D810 could take Canon lenses, I think most would be going there. I'd be there already.

And also simply that the Sony now offer much better non-RAW video than any Canon DSLR. The A7S gives a much better 1080P if you don't go 5D3 RAW and it gives (with shogun) a nicer 4k than the 1DC (for a lot less total money than the 1DC. And not so much because they are mirrorless.

Dec 12, 2014 at 06:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

The 7D II was not designed to be a video camera. It's an action DSLR. What is so difficult to understand about that?

EBH

Dec 12, 2014 at 07:08 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

johnctharp wrote:
I'm looking forward to what ML can do with the 7D II. Just loaded it up on my 6D and EOS-M (which seems buggy) to see how far they've progressed.

I'm still a bit in awe that they didn't improve the video quality with the 7D II and left off the touch-screen, and didn't ensure that DPAF, Servo, and All-I would work at 1080p/60.

I'm not sure there will be enough demand for the ML team to get it up and running on the 7DM2, particularly from video users.

Dec 12, 2014 at 07:27 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

snapsy wrote:
I'm not sure there will be enough demand for the ML team to get it up and running on the 7DM2, particularly from video users.

I guess it depends- my thinking is that it's a more capable video camera than the 70D and that ML might be able to get more out of it, which would drive the demand. Of course, it doesn't make sense for dedicated video shooters as there's definitely better options, but the same could be said for any Canon (and most other) DSLRs.

Dec 12, 2014 at 08:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

EB-1 wrote:
The 7D II was not designed to be a video camera. It's an action DSLR. What is so difficult to understand about that?

EBH

Neither were the A7S, D750, GH4, etc. and they offer better quality video and mostly better usability features other than of course DPAF which is pretty handy when that sort of thing could be utilized.
Anyway the point is where Canon seems to be going with DLSR video in general, it's not about the 7D2 specifically at all.

And better to bitch now when Canon still has time to not block this or that then afterwards when it's too late next year.

Edited on Dec 12, 2014 at 09:31 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2014 at 09:21 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

snapsy wrote:

The ML team is collapsing apparently. Supposedly Alex has become busy with a job and most of the other guys are only familiar with bits and pieces of the entire code base. Unless a 7D2 user gets on board it might be a long time coming. If the new firmware and digics don't change how things need to be done too much it might come along, but if things have changed a lot the 7D2 ML and even 5D4 ML might be far delayed potentially.

Dec 12, 2014 at 09:30 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

skibum5 wrote:
Neither were the A7S, D750, GH4, etc. and they offer better quality video and mostly better usability features other than of course DPAF which is pretty handy when that sort of thing could be utilized.
Anyway the point is where Canon seems to be going with DLSR video in general, it's not about the 7D2 at all.

And better to bitch now when Canon still has time to not block this or that then afterwards when it's too late next year.

I think the point here is that the 7D2 is made for a specific audience who wants a fast action professional crop camera. It's a tool made for pro photographers with a specific task in mind. Plenty of other options if you want a do everything camera.

Dec 12, 2014 at 09:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

skibum5 wrote:
Anyway the point is where Canon seems to be going with DLSR video in general, it's not about the 7D2 specifically at all.

I hope Canon does not contaminate their bodies to copy some of those.

EBH

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM
AJay
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

I've been a Canon guy for over 20 years and continue to be, but there's a group out there (myself included) who video extensively with DSLRs. I certainly understand that the 7D mark II is a sports/wildlife camera but it would have been refreshing to see Canon do something to regain those who have gone elsewhere for higher quality video.

Shooting 4k video opens up so many possibilities. I quite often shoot 4k video with my GH4 using Canon lenses and produce stunning still images from the video. It's like having an 8mp camera that shoots 30 fps.

Currently, the only Canon DSLR that shoots 4k video is the 1DC. Who will spend $10k on that when Sony, Panasonic and others offer so much more for so much less?

In my view, Canon's market share will continue to erode...

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

sb in ak wrote:
I think the point here is that the 7D2 is made for a specific audience who wants a fast action professional crop camera. It's a tool made for pro photographers with a specific task in mind. Plenty of other options if you want a do everything camera.

It is, but might not some wildlife guys want to shoot wildlife video too? I'd bet so.

And the thing is you can point to every Canon DSLR and see that they haven't really charged ahead. (only the miracle ML RAW hack saved the 5D3 for video in terms of charging ahead, with that it was a bit of a revolution for some, but who knows how delayed ML will be for any future models and some things like 4k might not be hackable unless the cam was set for it so we may have to assume we get what Canon gives on future models, at the least for quite a long time so we could end up with the uncomfortable situation where the 5D3 with ML ends up having better IQ for video and better usability for shooting video (other than for DPAF))

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:42 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

Using a DSLR for wildlife videos seems like a kludge. The ergonomics are not good for fast action and the optical viewfinder is practically useless. Obviously a DSLR is a relatively cheap option for individuals on a budget.

EBH

Dec 13, 2014 at 01:10 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

I hope competition will force Canon to best all named competitors.

Dec 13, 2014 at 01:35 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

I don't think the problem is just or only the lack of mirrorless from Canon, but the poor video quality. My Sony RX10 does proper real-time downsampling to 1080p from the whole sensor and has a modern codec. More recent cameras from Panasonic etc. have features like grips with XLR connectors, special gammas for footage that will be graded in post, 4K, timecoding etc. Why is anyone surprised Canon is behind? Sony and Panasonic have been the leaders in the video industry for decades.

Canon didn't even take the opportunity to learn by adding firmware features to their cameras, but left it to a team of freeware firmware hackers.

Dec 13, 2014 at 01:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

dolina wrote:
I hope competition will force Canon to best all named competitors.

One would think that is the same plan for all companies. However, competition doesn't seem to have much impact on Canon finding new sensor suppliers for example. Perhaps they will listen eventually after a few hundred thousand complaint posts on hundreds or thousands of internet sites.

EBH

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:09 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

EB-1 wrote:
Using a DSLR for wildlife videos seems like a kludge. The ergonomics are not good for fast action and the optical viewfinder is practically useless. Obviously a DSLR is a relatively cheap option for individuals on a budget.

EBH

wildlife video most often isn't fast action in terms of fast tracking and changing focusing quickly

it's more cost effective (and weight effective) to just have it in the DSLR than to have to buy and drag along a video cam too

Dec 14, 2014 at 06:52 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOSHD's thoughts on the state of Canon DSLR video

I shot raw video on the 5d3 from May 2013 until I picked up the A7s in October. Recently traded the 5d3 for a 1DIV; so I have sports/framerate/AF on one side and low light / great video on the other.
I just got tired of putting the raw files back together, syncing audio, having limited space, etc. The a7s is really close image wise to the 5d3 raw with ML. But no hack would allow me to not have to lug around a loupe in broad daylight with the OVF.

So until Canon releases a better do it all camera, I am using Sony (a7r + a7s) for non-moving subjects stills and video, and the 1dIV for action stills shooting. Still love my Canon glass!

I will say in 2015 if Canon releases an equivalent to the Nikon D810 sensor-wise I will buy one.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.