New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Would be the best Christmas gift especially if it's a firmware upgrade and works for Nikon!

http://www.profoto.com/blog/news-2/teaser/

Edit: Now it's official with both Canon & Nikon supported. The upgrade doesn't require any hardware change.

For more details:

http://www.profoto.com/blog/news-2/profoto-hss/

http://www.profoto.com/blog/off-camera-flash/profoto-hss-faq/

Edited on Dec 15, 2014 at 01:20 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM
colinm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Fooled you! Air TTL-H triggers for Hasselblad.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

colinm wrote:
Fooled you! Air TTL-H triggers for Hasselblad.

That would be the worst practical joke ever

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Well, they show H on their blog and S on their Facebook page. So there is a good chance for HSS indeed... I just hope this is just a FW upgrade as promised and not some new B1-HSS lights or something.

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:43 PM
Gareth Walker

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

cambyses wrote:
I just hope this is just a FW upgrade as promised and not some new B1-HSS lights or something.

But wouldn't a new model that does true HSS (Pulse flashes) be better than a software hack to enable fake HSS (long burn)?

Dec 12, 2014 at 02:28 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Gareth Walker wrote:
But wouldn't a new model that does true HSS (Pulse flashes) be better than a software hack to enable fake HSS (long burn)?

Depends for whom... It wouldn't for those who invested over $6000 in the system on the promise that it'll be a firmware upgrade Unless they offer a recall/exchange.

Dec 12, 2014 at 02:30 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Gareth Walker wrote:

And why do you think pulse flashes would not be possible via a firmware upgrade? With flash durations as low as 1/19000 sec at minimum power, and given the fully digital control in B1, the existing hardware may well be capable of supporting a true HSS via a firmware upgrade, maybe not to 1/8000 sec but certainly higher than the existing sync speed of 1/250 sec.

Dec 12, 2014 at 03:22 PM
Gareth Walker

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

cambyses wrote:
And why do you think pulse flashes would not be possible via a firmware upgrade?

Because it would probably kill the tube very quickly - multiple flash bursts are like poison to regular flash tubes.

Dec 12, 2014 at 04:15 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

I use packs, and would really like a long-burn option from Profoto. Would require a dedicated head (similarly for a monolight).

Dec 12, 2014 at 06:17 PM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

I would also like to see the output displayed on the trigger instead of just +/- 1, 2 or 3. That and have the power and manual settings stay the seem when the units go to sleep. The remote defaults back to TTL when sleeping.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:33 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

It is officially HSS, now we just have to wait for the details.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

This looks like a pretty big announcement for just an upgrade. Looks like a new product to me but we shall see. If it will sync as high as my Quadra's and PW Hypersync I might consider it.

Dec 13, 2014 at 06:15 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Gregg Heckler wrote:
This looks like a pretty big announcement for just an upgrade. Looks like a new product to me but we shall see. If it will sync as high as my Quadra's and PW Hypersync I might consider it.

Having already invested in B1's, that is my concern too, although Profoto reps have repeatedly stated on their blog and their Facebook page that B1's will support HSS via a firmware upgrade. So even if turns out beyond just a firmware upgrade, I really hope they offer exchanges or hardware upgrades to existing B1 customers. Well, two more days to know all about this...

Dec 13, 2014 at 08:02 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Although we will know for sure by tomorrow, I always enjoy these teasers so here's another uplifting news. This is from a Hungarian website via Google Translate, according to them (or the translation) the update will be via the USB and there won't be any new hardware involved, and it will be for both Nikon & Canon:

http://www.tripont.hu/problog/1924/az_ev_profoto_bejelentese___bemutatkozik_a_profoto_hss_a_b1_vakukhoz

"This is achieved by flash instead of a "long" short flash of light is emitted more. The Profoto system up to 1/8000 shutter speeds, and can guarantee the exact amount of light delivery. It is used to freeze fast-moving daylight, and will not be spent image areas with a fully open aperture. The system Profoto Canon and Nikon also tested the machines, the most common models, without more, all functions can be exploited.

During the presentation of the factory firmware modifications will launch the B1 flash units and Air Remote TTL trigger C / N versions, which will be available on www.profoto.com/myprofoto site. The update from the users themselves may make the device via USB. Parts replacement is not needed in the flash tubes are able to meet in the flash rate necessary."

Dec 14, 2014 at 01:49 AM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

I hope this is true Hussain. It would be in line with what Profoto has promised all along and would further raise my confidence in Profoto as a brand one can trust...

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:34 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

You gotta love Profoto! Profoto Japan has already announced B1 HSS, and it is awesome...

http://profoto.com/int/press-room/item/profoto-b1-hss

Using Google Translate (and also reading other pieces like http://fstoppers.com/gear/profoto-adds-high-speed-sync-beloved-b1-strobe-through-firmware-update-49782):

1) As expected, it is indeed a firmware upgrade only
2) It will support up to 1/8000 sec
3) TTL will still work with HSS
4) It should work with both Canon and Nikon
5) It is enabled by "pulse emissions with very high frequency", so I suppose the tube was originally designed to handle this.

This is very exciting. Cannot wait to upgrade the firmware and do some tests in bright daylight!

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:23 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Kambiz it's announced on the website too http://www.profoto.com/blog/news-2/profoto-hss/

I've updated both of my B1s and the TTL-N. Did a quick test with my D600 at 1/4000 and it works! I'll be posting my ND filters on the B&S

Well done Profoto, they promised and they delivered.

Dec 15, 2014 at 04:44 AM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

This is awesome news!! Way to go Profoto. Can't wait to start using it.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Driveitputtit
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

I haven't upgraded my D1's to B1's as of yet...been waiting for the HSS to debut. Anyone that's updated their B1 firmware and tested it out and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Officially the Profoto B1 HSS upgrade for Nikon & Canon

Haven't done serious testing yet but so far it's working flawless at 1/4000 with my D600 with Auto FP. Lowest power is 8 on the B1.

Dec 19, 2014 at 05:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.