Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

How fast can you save? If the choice is a 5D today or a 6D in february then i'd go for the 6D. If you need to wait until december next year for the 6D, then i'd recommend you buy the 5D now.

I'm still shooting a 5D as my main camera, and i'm more than pleased with it. It's tendency to dust up the sensor does bug me, and i could certainly use better high iso capability on occasion, but otherwise it's a superb image making machine.

Dec 13, 2014 at 02:19 PM
jolson72
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

I have used 5D's for the last 6 years or so. Hundreds of jobs. I love the camera.

I have a 6D. Like the 5D more. Like the feeling of the 5D files when editing.

Depends what you shoot. If you are slow, deliberate, shoot manual, use the center focus point, shoot RAW, the 5D is still a wonderful camera. The screen stinks. No live view, etc. But if you know what you are doing, shoot manual, manual white balance, the file output is still wonderful, and the camera is a simple and deliberate job to use.

Again, not saying the 5D is a better camera than the 6D. But for me, I love the simpleness of the 5D. And I still love the files it produces!

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

The 6D has a pleasing noise IMO I hate to say film like. ISO6400 looks good still IMO.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

Piero, what do expect to gain from using a full-frame camera ?

Unless you use middle and higher ISO there will likely be no significant noise factor in your present images. Unless you are already using large-aperture lenses you might get the same shallow DOF benefits that you could get from a full frame camera by buying a wide-aperture lens. And that lens should be just as beneficial when you do eventually get a full-frame camera.

- Alan

Dec 14, 2014 at 07:47 PM
pio1

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

Is the 5d worse than 7d at 1600-3200 iso? I thoght it was better or on pair.

Dec 15, 2014 at 02:27 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

pio1 wrote:
Is the 5d worse than 7d at 1600-3200 iso? I thoght it was better or on pair.

I think the 5D is slightly better: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/2010-08-03-5d2-7d-5d-d300/

The 7DII and other recent revisions of the Canon crop sensor are going to be better than the 5D though.

Dec 15, 2014 at 02:44 PM
petr vokurek
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

Altough I think the 5d is a better camera ergonomically- the 6d feels like a joke in comparison- I would get the 6d. The thing that nobody here seems to have mentioned is AF micro adjustment. That, for me, makes the difference. If you have a camera that you cannot fine-tune your lenses to, you have a problem. I know- Iīm selling my last 5d that I kept from nostalgia. But it just doesnīt focus spot on with my leses and I canīt fix it. If you only shoot from tripod and/ or at f4 or higher donīt worry about this. If you intend to use fast glass get the 6d and forget the 5d. The high iso performance is also somewhere else these days...

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:00 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5D (first model) now or waiting for the 6D?

I have both the 7D and the 5D.

I think the IQ at 3200 is very much the same if you take into account the fact the 7D image is substantially larger so will be enlarged less. Looking at 100% crops is very misleading.

Neither of them set the world alight for high ISO, but they aren't bad with a bit of processing

If you want really high ISO performance you want a 6D, quite amazingly good

Dec 15, 2014 at 03:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.