New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · sleeping bag for winter?

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · sleeping bag for winter?

Get the warmest bag you can, you're only getting one. Mine's a -15 Mountain Hardware. I still get cold. It's individual, how much body fat you have, your metabolism, what you eat that night (Spaghetti makes me heat up). You can always unzip a little...

Dec 12, 2014 at 08:13 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · sleeping bag for winter?

I'm really happy with my Zpacks 10 degree bag. 900 fill, 1.3 lbs

Dec 12, 2014 at 09:47 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · sleeping bag for winter?

The key to maximizing warmth and minimizing weight is to plan on, and factor into your decisions, wearing some of most of your warm clothing layers to bed. You are bringing them anyhow, and you might as well use them to contribute to your sleeping warmth. Accordingly, you can get away with a sleeping bag that is rated for a somewhat higher temperature (and thus lighter) than you otherwise would expect. But you then need to keep in mind the internal space; make sure that it will comfortably accommodate you while wearing extra layers, as well as the gear and water that you will also want to keep in the bag.

I have used a Marmot Helium, which is rated at 15 degrees F, and is just about the lightest in that range, down into the single digits by wearing my warm clothing layers. (And I'm not a particularly cold-tolerance sleeper!)

Dave

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Yajbuilder
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · sleeping bag for winter?

Hey!
This is intruging... I'm planning on bringing my a7 for a trip In the white mountains, NH In a few weeks... I have a down 15 degree bag, which I think runs cold. (I use it with the orange sea-to-summit liner and LOTS of clothes) So naturally I am curious about other's expiriences with photo/camping gear in the sub-zero zone. I have sewn bivy sacks for myself and friends (waterproof sacks for sleeping in... refer to pics) but I don't know if tarping is suitable for this weather, or what tents people recommend...
I would think a tarp should be fine with the bivy sack/warm bag/liner/clothes and a solid thermally-inclined sleeping pad, but I just don't know for certain, never winter-camped for reals before. (though I have spent nights in a tent in the cold.... and been cold)
Yep.
I'll be looking into the aforementioned gear for tenting and whatnot.

Great thread!

Jay

Sewin up a bivy

A bivy, DIY style

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Yajbuilder
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · sleeping bag for winter?

subscribed

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · sleeping bag for winter?

thanks for the ideas guys. I'm 6 feet tall , so I go with the long sleeping bag. I may head down the mountain hard wear store today and check and see if they have the phantom in stock. I have always heard you get a bag rated for a colder temperature than what you may need.

Dec 19, 2014 at 03:04 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · sleeping bag for winter?

You should look at the western mountaineering and feathered friends bags. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products
http://featheredfriends.com/down-sleeping-bags.html
I've used both and they are well designed bags.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Henga
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · sleeping bag for winter?

Bag's temperature rating is overestimated. Actually it doesn't have much sense since everyone's body will react differently to the cold. Even for the same person, the perception of cold differs quite a lot depending on what you eat, your psychological state, etc. You must choose your sleeping bag according to your camping gear and if you are sensitive or not to the cold.
BTW, be sure to pick a well insulated sleeping pad, it is as much important as your sleeping bag. A warm sleeping bag can be quite useless if used without a good sleeping pad since heat loss is more important in your back where the bag is compressed by the weight of your body.

I took a look at the two bags you posted and they look good. They would be far enough for your Iceland trip as well since icelandic winter is quite mild. A -40°F bag would be overkill, you would sweat in it and lose insulation because of moisture.

I'm a 3 seasons UL backpacker and a "heavy hiker" in winter. Therefore I use a pulka which allows me to carry everything I need for a cozy and safe winter trek. You might consider buying one if weight is a concern. BTW, it would be the perfect piece of gear for your Iceland trip!

Hope that helps,
Arnaud

Edited on Dec 22, 2014 at 08:04 AM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2014 at 06:38 AM
Henga
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · sleeping bag for winter?

Yajbuilder wrote:
Hey!
This is intruging... I'm planning on bringing my a7 for a trip In the white mountains, NH In a few weeks... I have a down 15 degree bag, which I think runs cold. (I use it with the orange sea-to-summit liner and LOTS of clothes) So naturally I am curious about other's expiriences with photo/camping gear in the sub-zero zone. I have sewn bivy sacks for myself and friends (waterproof sacks for sleeping in... refer to pics) but I don't know if tarping is suitable for this weather, or what tents people recommend...
I would think a tarp should
...Show more
A tarp can be good as long as you don't have a storm or very bad weather with high winds and snowfall… I sometimes use my Mountain Laurel Design cuben fiber Grace solo tarp with an Exped down mat 7 and my Triple Zero Petit Astazou 800FL sleeping bag for winter overnight. In winter, I don't use a bivy to prevent condensation on the sleeping bag, I usually just make a snow wall to protect me from the wind and keep the warmth inside. It works great but only in good weather. Otherwise, just forget it!
For bad weather, a pyramid tarp is more suited. I personally use a Hilleberg Soulo tent for most of my winter treks. Amazing tent even for a tall guy like me (6'5"). I plan to make my own pyramid tarp this summer with an opening for a wood stove pipe… probably the best way to camp in winter, as long as you have wood near you

Arnaud

Dec 21, 2014 at 07:16 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · sleeping bag for winter?

I'd be a little leery of the marmot design with the down tubes running vertically rather than cross wise. Down can shift in a tube and with such long ones you might get cold spots. They may have internal baffles but it does not say. Having good insulation between your bag and the ground is critical as others have indicated.

Dec 21, 2014 at 06:07 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · sleeping bag for winter?

Henga wrote:
Bag's temperature rating is overestimated. Actually it doesn't have much sense since everyone's body will react differently to the cold. Even for the same person, the perception of cold differs quite a lot depending on what you eat, your psychological state, etc. You must choose your sleeping bag according to your camping gear and if you are sensitive or not to the cold.
BTW, be sure to pick a well insulated sleeping pad, it is as much important as your sleeping bag. A warm sleeping bag can be quite useless if used without a good sleeping pad since heat loss
...Show more

^^^ This

I've froze my butt off in 30 degree weather in a marmot 15 degree bag - all because I had a lousy sleeping bag pad. I now have a nice insulated one that works great. They're not cheap, but I agree with Arnaud - I think a good pad is every bit as important as the bag.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · sleeping bag for winter?

And good nourishment before zipping up for the night

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:34 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · sleeping bag for winter?

Steve Perry wrote:
BTW, be sure to pick a well insulated sleeping pad, it is as much important as your sleeping bag...

Absolutely. Consider that the sleeping bag insulation between you and the ground is compressed by your weight and is thus close to useless as it relies on trapped air for the insulation. I have a lightweight inflatable pad from thermarest i think, and with that i've slept directly on snow without trouble.

I would also recommend a silk bag liner.

Dec 22, 2014 at 04:35 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · sleeping bag for winter?

I still have my original thermarest. Back when it had a chrome plated brass valve. That puts it at around circa 1977. 3/4 length. Used pack and clothing under leg area for insulation to conserve wgt. have since replaced the original valve with polymer one as is current today.

got it directly from Cascade Designs in Seattle while i was doing work around there. mine got its first uses in the North Cascades.

Dec 22, 2014 at 07:09 AM
Henga
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · sleeping bag for winter?

Steve Perry wrote:
They're not cheap […]

A cheap and light alternative to inflatable winter pads is the Thermarest RidgeRest Solar. The best thing to do is to cut it so it has the shape of your sleeping bag. That way you can put it inside the sleeping bag for maximum insulation and benefit of the heat-reflecting surface.
It's far less comfortable than an inflatable pad though.

Arnaud

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · sleeping bag for winter?

Henga wrote:
A cheap and light alternative to inflatable winter pads is the Thermarest RidgeRest Solar. The best thing to do is to cut it so it has the shape of your sleeping bag. That way you can put it inside the sleeping bag for maximum insulation and benefit of the heat-reflecting surface.
It's far less comfortable than an inflatable pad though.

Arnaud

that then renders the lower portion of you sleeping bag to becoming a sponge for floor condensation and the occasional accident. my pad has saved me on a few occasions from spillage. there used to be bags that were integrating the pad into becoming the lower half which was fine if you slept on your back only. roll and its immediate discomfort and loss of insulating qualities at various locations and times.

Dec 22, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Henga
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · sleeping bag for winter?

I have never had any problems with my sleeping bag pumping condensation on the floor. Actually, I've never had any serious issues with condensation on the floor. Anyhow, if that happens, you can just use a bivy or put a UL polyethylene pad (they are often lighter than a bivy) beneath your sleeping bag.

Arnaud

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · sleeping bag for winter?

try New England and then the Pacific NW.

and on the additional pad for the sleeping bag with the insulating pad inserted.

since 1972 i have seen just about every variation out there come/go/come again. everything old is new again. been there done that. the invention of reinvention.

here TRests in the game too

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleeping-bags/category

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · sleeping bag for winter?

so i went to the Mountain Hardwear store a few days ago, and checked out the Phantom 0. Superb bag, and I think it will work just fine. Hoping to order it in a week or two, as well as a tent. They had the Direkt 2 set up...

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.