New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · sleeping bag for winter?

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · sleeping bag for winter?

I know that I am not the only one that camps and backpacks on these forums, so I am posting this question and hopefully get some feedback. One of the last few things on my list for winter camping fun is a sleeping bag and maybe a tent. Just ordered MSR lightning ascents

So there are two bags that I am eyeing, and both are rated about 0 degrees. The first being the phantom and the other being the plasma 0 . Both are very similar in most aspects. Hoping someone has used these, or something similar?

Dec 11, 2014 at 06:45 PM
K mueller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · sleeping bag for winter?

Those are good bags, just keep them dry! I have the Marmot Helium which is rated to 15. I've used it close to 0 and have never been cold, just slept in a thin base layer. They are nice for backpacking because they pack to about the size of a loaf of bread. Thermarest makes really good pads these days! I have one that packs to the size of a coffee mug and weighs hardly anything.

Dec 11, 2014 at 07:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · sleeping bag for winter?

I don't know those bags but I do know that you'll appreciate adding a silk bag liner.

Dec 11, 2014 at 07:29 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · sleeping bag for winter?

Sounds as if Winter is relatively warm where you are planning on camping.

Get a bag that is rated lower than you expect so you have a safety margin.

Dec 11, 2014 at 09:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · sleeping bag for winter?

I thought you were after a winter bag?

Dec 11, 2014 at 09:38 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · sleeping bag for winter?

Expected use, temperatures, budget...

Alpine winter use and where? Lodges/huts/tents? Frequent use?

Northern Alaska at 1a.m. in January in a strong wind in an expedition tent with manky huskies?

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · sleeping bag for winter?

Paul Mo wrote:
Expected use, temperatures, budget...

Alpine winter use and where? Lodges/huts/tents? Frequent use?

Northern Alaska at 1a.m. in January in a strong wind in an expedition tent with manky huskies?

He just bought snowshoes and is looking at a tent and bag. He hails out of Portland, OR alias Portlandia.

Winter in the PNW varies where you go. Spent a lot of time north of there. Pulled a bunch of people out too.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Vilk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · sleeping bag for winter?

whoever came up with sleeping bags tapering off towards the feet should be condemned to sleeping in one for the rest of his life

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · sleeping bag for winter?

Well theres always the other option. Plenty of rectangular bags out there. But when it comes to weight and efficiency the mummy is the only real option. There are wider mummies but then you get to carry that extra weight.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · sleeping bag for winter?

Well theres always the other option. Plenty of rectangular bags out there. But when it comes to weight and efficiency the mummy is the only real option. There are wider mummies but then you get to carry that extra weight and bulk.

That's what I've slept in for 35+ years out of doors. I guess its acquired taste.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · sleeping bag for winter?

Plus, if you work hard enough you're out like a light. But I do agree, footroom for restless sleepers often isn't enough.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · sleeping bag for winter?

Too heavy to carry very far, but wrap up in a wool blanket inside the bag and it will add like 20 degrees for car camping. Be sure to get something to cover your head/face while in the bag and insulate the bag from the ground. The liner is a very good idea.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · sleeping bag for winter?

I was looking at -40 degree bags, but that is a tad overkill. I am planning a trip to Iceland for 19 days next winter, and I am sure the -40 would be ok for that, but I think it would be overkill for around here.

I run warm naturally. If worse comes to worse, I can sleep in my smart wool base layers, down jacket, etc etc.
For this year, camping in the Tatoosh Range at mt. rainier or in the Three Sisters area might be the extreme side of adventure.

Dec 12, 2014 at 02:36 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · sleeping bag for winter?

In tents?

Dec 12, 2014 at 04:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · sleeping bag for winter?

Yes, intense

Dec 12, 2014 at 06:04 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · sleeping bag for winter?

Paul Mo wrote:
In tents?

of course . Will be using the Marmot Thor 2P

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · sleeping bag for winter?

i have a 25 year old US made Marmot GTX pocket gopher Overfill long length. the thing is an incinerator. used it 3 times and it sits around fully lofted.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Wmccree

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · sleeping bag for winter?

One of the best suggestions I got was getting the long bag even though I'm not tall. I'd put the next mornings clothes at the bottom. THey'd be nice and toasty when it came time to get dressed. We used to camp all winter when I lived in Colorado. It's different for sure, so quiet.

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · sleeping bag for winter?

considering i'm 5'7" you bet

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:20 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · sleeping bag for winter?

Not only clothes hat and gloves but boots or boot liners, drinking water, batteries, head lamp,phone, Basically anything that will lose function when it freezes. Winter bags can get quite cluttered. I use a 20 year old -30 north face bag. I cant stress enough to have your boots in your bag. Boots get wet from the inside with sweat and freeze solid if not kept warm. I had some in our party fail to do this (despite being warned) and it was ugly the next day.

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.